1.    #1  
    My 650 died. First the battery, then I got frustrated having to smack it on the side to get the contacts to recognize the battery (I got from Treo Central, which had lousy cust service) and now I need a new one...

I did buy a Samsung A900 in the interim. What a joke! Like going back 20 years in technology. To connect to a BT headset, you have to reset it in the tools menu every time. Beeps and whistles for everything, but no battery life to speak of. Piece of junk. Have to go back to a Treo...

So I am looking for the best store to get one... I already have Sprint, so many of the offers don't apply.... they want $500 - even with the rebate it's not such a good deal, especially with rumors of a 700P around the corner...

Any ideas of where to get one inexpensively?

TIA
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    eBay? Be careful.
    got mine from ebay...try to get it from a powerseller..theyre a lot more reliable..and buy a warranty!!
    Running an Unlocked Cingular Palm Treo 650 with an AT&T Sim
    *1GB SanDisk SD Card

Ebay would probably be the cheapest...you might also check the marketplace here too.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

why didn't you carry a contract on it? I got my treo 650, my 600 before that and my treo 300 before that from sprint, specificly so thta I could carry a service contract on it! take care, jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by lenny
    My 650 died. First the battery, then I got frustrated having to smack it on the side to get the contacts to recognize the battery
    Suggest alcohol wipe next time .

There's a few down in market place section. Amazon has the Sprint 650 for $149 w/ a 2 year agreement.....how much left do you have in ya existing coontract ? Might eb woirth cancelling / re-upping. The cingular model w/ 1 year is only $199, as is the speint, w/ a 1 year agreement. Maybe ya could whine and moan and threaten to drop Sprint if they aint nice to you.

Walk into an "all carriers" store (brick and mortar) I find these guys can work wonders as they know all the ins and outs and just how far CSR's will go...and they ahve access to higher level CSR's that you can't talk to. I have never seen a on line source match my local walk in joint.
    Try your local Sprint Store and ask if they have any pre-owned Treos. They are the ones that people buy and then return to the store within 14 days because they want to switch to a different phone. They are half price. All they ask is that you renew your 2 year agreement to get that price. For $250 off, it's a great deal if you can find it.
    In additon, take a contract for maintenance with sprint, it is so worth it in the long run. Good luck, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I like the idea of the old fashioned Brick-and-Mortar store that sells all brands. I know a guy in NYC that can do just about anything to get you the phone and contract you want. Guys like this are probably your best source of info. He talked me out of a new, expensive model phone, one that was "hot" and in demand. He sold me somehting cheaper because it was made better and better suited to me. He figured that if I appreciated his service and honesty I'd be back next time I needed a phone, and he was right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooose
    Try your local Sprint Store and ask if they have any pre-owned Treos. They are the ones that people buy and then return to the store within 14 days because they want to switch to a different phone. They are half price. All they ask is that you renew your 2 year agreement to get that price. For $250 off, it's a great deal if you can find it.
    Good to know...I didnt know this.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert
    In additon, take a contract for maintenance with sprint, it is so worth it in the long run. Good luck, Jay
    Number of people have suggested I take a contract out... I returned two phones in a year and they cancelled me. That was a couple of years back, during 600 time, so could probably re-up now....

Kiind of rude, however....

I like the suggestion of the Sprint store... gonna check it out...

Lenny
    what is wrong with your old one? Is it repairable? ( I repair 'em) You can also send it to palm and they can repair or replace for $175...

Ebay prices seem high for the risk.
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by nonobeez
    IMO as long as you go with a reputable seller, your risk is limited.

When I had my treo 300 , I went thru 3 or 4 in one year without a problem, I do nto know if they changed the rules as that was a while ago, but thye have always be vey helpful to me, take care, jay
    what is wrong with your old one? Is it repairable? ( I repair 'em) You can also send it to palm and they can repair or replace for $175...

nonobeez ......

i didn't realize that Palm will repair them at all ..... is that a fixed price think and does it include "restoring" a "bricked" treo, or is it just fixing little stuff like as broken audio jack etc .....

with all the "customizing" going on at the moment .... it's kind of good to know that if something went seriously wrong and shadows restore tool couldn't "revive" it ... then $175 bucks thrown palms way will .... kind of like the ultimate price for bricking it ......

without wanting to hijack the thread ... what repairs do you do if i can ask ....

regards
    aussietreo
    if u were to buy one off ebay, be sure when u use paypal that u use a credit card for payment.DO NOT use a check or a paypal balance to puchase i big money item. U have no recourse to get your money back or file a claim through paypal. and dont buy a $400 item of someone with 3 feedback. I have bought several big money items off ebay with no problems but i am very carefull
    Quote Originally Posted by aussietanker
    nonobeez ......

i didn't realize that Palm will repair them at all ..... is that a fixed price think and does it include "restoring" a "bricked" treo, or is it just fixing little stuff like as broken audio jack etc .....

with all the "customizing" going on at the moment .... it's kind of good to know that if something went seriously wrong and shadows restore tool couldn't "revive" it ... then $175 bucks thrown palms way will .... kind of like the ultimate price for bricking it ......

without wanting to hijack the thread ... what repairs do you do if i can ask ....

regards
    aussietreo
    I think as long as its not in pieces they will repair or replace it. I would swipe out the good screen and replace it with a cracked one and send it in. Tell them you dropped it!!

It's not warranty, you are paying for a service. They charge the same even to replace a scratched treo. While you are at it, replace the good antenna with a broken one too...

I fix the audio jack problem (permanently), replace screens, antennas and motherboards, and add the 3.5 mm jack to the antenna.
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    http://www.palm.com/us/support/contact/repair.html

Do You Need a Repair?
    Are you unsure if you need a repair and need help deciding? Our troubleshooter can save you time and money by ensuring that your device is really in need of a repair. For example, third-party software interactions, a loose connector or a simple configuration setting can masquerade as hardware faults. Troubleshoot before you start a repair.

Unrepairable Damage
    Your device is considered unrepairable by Palm if:

* Device is crushed, burned, defaced, damaged by liquid, melted or otherwise broken beyond economic repair
    * Plastic casing has been opened, device modified, or service performed by someone other than a Palm Repair Center technician
    * Device is not in the condition as described in your repair request, or the repair claim is otherwise fraudulent

If Palm determines that your device is not repairable, it will be returned to you as-is. We recommend you purchase a new Palm device. (Palm Store).

Broken Screen
    We can repair your cracked or scratched screen. However, the Palm Limited Warranty does not cover screen breakage. Screen repairs are subject to an out-of-warranty repair charge.

How Much Will it Cost?
    There is no charge for repair service if covered by your warranty. You may be responsible for shipping charges.

Out-of-warranty service prices vary by product (view charges). Sometimes the cost to repair a device is almost as much as purchasing a new one. Is it time to upgrade? Explore your options: visit Palm Store and be sure to check out our current special offers.

Charges --
    http://www.palm.com/us/support/conta...tml#treo650gsm