1.    #1  
    I've been trying WordSmith for a couple of weeks and have been quite impressed with its capabilities. I have several documents that I use frequently all nicely formatted and ready to use.

The day before yesterday a co-worker needed some information that I already had on my Visor in a WordSmith document.

I have PalmPrint installed on my VPR and I saw another chance to WOW someone with my little PDA. I brought them to the nearest IR capable laser printer, openned WordSmith and then discovered that you CANNOT PRINT a WordSmith document!!! There I was, with egg on my face, tapping away trying to find the "Print" command.

Whoever heard of a word processing program from which you cannot print!!!

Blue Nomad will have to keep wandering. There is NO WAY I'm going to pay for a word processer that you cannot print from.

=Dave=
    I do NOT look wierd! I just look ... "different".
    Uhm... what were you using wordsmith for before you found out it couldn' print directly from the Visor? I suspect it still does that.

I looked for an IR capable printer at staples yesterday. They have a few, and all are priced above $300. It's hard to believe the IR port adds that much production cost to a printer. HP had similar but non-IR printers for half the price. As such, I'm guessing only corporate laptop using expense account type visor owners are going to already have an IR enabled printer.

But it's your Visor. Go ahead and delete wordsmith from it if you want. When you find a word processor you CAN impress your friends with, let us know.

Dave ;-)
    There is nothing yet made by man that cannot be improved upon.
    I'm a little disappointed with the inability to print too. I want to use my visor and stowaway (coming soon) to take notes during negotiations with our union next week and then print the changes directly from my visor. I was looking at buying an ir printer or attachment to make a current printer accept the beaming... But since wordsmith doesn't permit that (at least not now) I'm not going to have the opportunity to show off the diversity of my palmtop. I wouldn't say don't buy it though. I'm quite happy with it for the most part.
    Diamond makes an "IR Pod" thats a printer port on one end and IR on the other. Its made for the Mako but I have a feeling it may work with Palm OS, but no local places have it and I don't feel like having to return it to an online store if it doesn't. I think it retails for about $60-$70

As for Wordsmith not being able to print, for the $20 I payed for it it doesn't bother me. I blieve printing is planned for the future and that they may release a version to down convert WordSmith docs to normal ones so you may print them with another app.
    Matt Nichols
    VigoSpraxPalm@Yahoo.com
    Well, if you've read the Wordsmith threads or Blue Nomad's web site, you know that 1.0 is just the first release, and they have long-term plans for improvements.

And if you think it through before flaming... Does PalmPrint support all the fonts and styles supported by WordSmith? Nope. You choose a 36 point Comic Sans font in WordSmith -- a font that's not on your Palm, and not in PalmPrint. What's PalmPrint supposed to do?

Obviously the Blue Nomad guys are going to have to work with the printing software companies to tie their products together. And I'd be willing to bet cash money such discussions are going on. But software doesn't write itself--features take time, and printing from the Palm with full style/font support is a pretty elaborate request.

Once they get "Convert to Doc format" into an upcoming version, you'll be able to print unformatted (the best any other program can do) documents from any print utility that supports Doc format.

And giving it a "no buy" recommendation is perhaps a bit extreme when you consider what a small subset of Palm users actually use IR printing...
    While I understand the need and desire for printing from the Visor, isn't WordSmith (and any other PalmOS word processor for that matter) really intended for the composition and editing functions? In my mind (albeit a small one ), I write, edit, and format on the go but save the final layout (adding graphics, etc) and printing for the desktop. After all, why did I pay Mr. Gates so much for Word in the first place?
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by DBrown
    Uhm... what were you using wordsmith for before you found out it couldn' print directly from the Visor? I suspect it still does that.

I looked for an IR capable printer at staples yesterday. They have a few, and all are priced above $300. It's hard to believe the IR port adds that much production cost to a printer. HP had similar but non-IR printers for half the price. As such, I'm guessing only corporate laptop using expense account type visor owners are going to already have an IR enabled printer.
    I was using the MemoPad app and used PalmPrint to print those. I started using WordSmith for it's formatting and font capabilities.

A couple of years ago the standard laser printer at my dept. was the HP LaserJet 6P which sported an IR port. People didn't even know what the port was for until I beamed something to it.

=Dave=
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by zieak
    I'm a little disappointed with the inability to print too. I want to use my visor and stowaway (coming soon) to take notes during negotiations with our union next week and then print the changes directly from my visor. I was looking at buying an ir printer or attachment to make a current printer accept the beaming... But since wordsmith doesn't permit that (at least not now) I'm not going to have the opportunity to show off the diversity of my palmtop.
    You can still use WordSmith to input your information, just do not use any of WordSmith's formatting or font functions. Also, save the document as a Memo. You then can use a print utility such as PalmPrint to print the Memo using the IR port.

=Dave=
  9.    #9  
    Originally posted by dennya
    Well, if you've read the Wordsmith threads or Blue Nomad's web site, you know that 1.0 is just the first release, and they have long-term plans for improvements.

And if you think it through before flaming... Does PalmPrint support all the fonts and styles supported by WordSmith? Nope. You choose a 36 point Comic Sans font in WordSmith -- a font that's not on your Palm, and not in PalmPrint. What's PalmPrint supposed to do?

Obviously the Blue Nomad guys are going to have to work with the printing software companies to tie their products together. And I'd be willing to bet cash money such discussions are going on. But software doesn't write itself--features take time, and printing from the Palm with full style/font support is a pretty elaborate request.
    I understand. I don't expect full-blown MS-Word capabilities, just the basics ... even if they don't include formatting.

If you buy a new car and then, as you approach a Stop light, discover the car has no brakes, wouldn't you be rather, surprised? You expect a car to have brakes. The company stating that it expects to include brakes in an upcoming model just doesn't seem the right way to do things.

=Dave=
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by MarkEagle
    While I understand the need and desire for printing from the Visor, isn't WordSmith (and any other PalmOS word processor for that matter) really intended for the composition and editing functions?
    Perhaps, but we, Palm-a/Visor-holics, like to tout that our PDAs, with their keyboards and wire(less) modems, can be laptop replacements and expect to be able to do such things as IR print. Otherwise the PDA is NOT such a replacement.

Also, I'm not suggesting that we could do heavy-duty functions, just the basics.

=Dave=
    Who cares whether if WordSmith have printing function or not? I can't see myself printing anything directly from my Visor. I am tired of reading diatribes from whiners that want everything in a software NOW... The computer industry wasn't created in one day you know? Geesh.
    Originally posted by dpdamour

Perhaps, but we, Palm-a/Visor-holics, like to tout that our PDAs, with their keyboards and wire(less) modems, can be laptop replacements and expect to be able to do such things as IR print. Otherwise the PDA is NOT such a replacement.

Also, I'm not suggesting that we could do heavy-duty functions, just the basics.

=Dave=
    I think you'll find a lot of disagreement among Palm/Visor users with your first statement. However if you personally want a Palm to be a replacement for a laptop, I can't see that you would be happy with "just the basics" if that meant falling short of the capabilities of a laptop.
    Car without brakes = Palm OS word processing software without printing? I'm sorry, but strings like this aggravate me. Demands placed on Palm OS software developers are amazing. These people make an initial release of software and it's fantastic, they announce they're going to make significant improvements to it, they participate in discussion groups which is NOT a safe format for addressing development and support issues but they do it anyway to please customers, they bend over backwards answering concerns in record speed and someone recommends not to buy it because it doesn't print?

Have you ever thought about what's in that little tiny device in your hand? Someone made it so you can take PC-based documents, press a HotSync button and see them on your device and carry them with you. Someone made it so you can edit those documents and get them back to the PC intact. It's like TinySheet... are there things I want in addition to what I have? Yeah, but someone basically made it so I can have Excel ON MY PALM. The Blue Nomad gang basically made it so I can have Microsoft Word ON MY PALM. Basically all the functions of major, large memory PC software in a tiny little program I can take anywhere.

It's a car without cup holders. I'll live.
    Originally posted by profiler
    Car without brakes = Palm OS word processing software without printing? I'm sorry, but strings like this aggravate me. Demands placed on Palm OS software developers are amazing. These people make an initial release of software and it's fantastic, they announce they're going to make significant improvements to it, they participate in discussion groups which is NOT a safe format for addressing development and support issues but they do it anyway to please customers, they bend over backwards answering concerns in record speed and someone recommends not to buy it because it doesn't print?

Have you ever thought about what's in that little tiny device in your hand? Someone made it so you can take PC-based documents, press a HotSync button and see them on your device and carry them with you. Someone made it so you can edit those documents and get them back to the PC intact. It's like TinySheet... are there things I want in addition to what I have? Yeah, but someone basically made it so I can have Excel ON MY PALM. The Blue Nomad gang basically made it so I can have Microsoft Word ON MY PALM. Basically all the functions of major, large memory PC software in a tiny little program I can take anywhere.

It's a car without cup holders. I'll live.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. Did anyone contact Blue Nomad about the printing feature BEFORE they came here to flame? Seems to me that the way to handle a problem is to take it up with the company and then publicly bash them only if they didn't answer or answered rudely. If they politely refused try and drum up support and approach the company en masse. If that doesn't work take your money elsewhere.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.