1.    #1  
    Ok, we all know the treo 650 has wickedly crappy bluetooth capabilities. That said, this Plantronics Discovery 640 headset I just got is freaking great! Anyone can read the review in the treostore about it, but this is my take on it...

The discovery 640 has a multipoint feature and is extremely light weight, as well as a cool case. Oh I could go on and on. Back to the multipoint feature. This allows your phone to pair with 2 devices at the same time. No, you cannot talk on 2 phones at the same time, but you can answer either phone with the touch of a button. Very cool. In my case I paired it with my computer and my treo. I use my Bluetooth headset to get my game on! Not bad.

Did I mention the cool travel charger feature yet? Oh, this is sweet! It's about the size of a roll of nickels, but not as heavy. Inside is a replaceable AAA battery which you can connect on the go and recharge the headset. Up to 15 hours total talk time before hitting the wall outlet again.

The call clarity is really good. It's much, much better when paired with my wife's mm-A900, but still very nice on the treo. I love this headset!

It is very comfortable and can beswitched from inner ear piece to an ear loop. This is just so you have the option of not placing the ear piece IN the ear. However the volume is not as loud when worn over the ear.

Well, there you have my take on it. Anyone else have this headset? Tell us about it.
    <-Jumping ship on the Palm Pre and getting the HTC EVO...So far that's the 650, 800w, the Pro, Pre and soon the HTC EVO...
    wanted to return it. coud not. plantroncis support sucked. i put jabra ear jels on it and it is better now but still wish i could return it. because of support i recieved from plantronics i will never purchase another plantronics unit again. I hope everyone follows me and drives them out of business.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMSchiller
    The call clarity is really good. It's much, much better when paired with my wife's mm-A900, but still very nice on the treo. I love this headset!

It is very comfortable and can beswitched from inner ear piece to an ear loop. This is just so you have the option of not placing the ear piece IN the ear. However the volume is not as loud when worn over the ear.

Well, there you have my take on it. Anyone else have this headset? Tell us about it.
    Yes, I agree.... the 640 is a fine headset. Sound (voice & audio) is geat, fit is comfortable, and people I call can actually hear me when I call from the car. The mobile charger is a nice added plus.
    I love mine too. I have tried seveal bt headsets. This by far is the best. Volume is great. I use volumecare. Can you redial bt just using the Headset BTW?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by bling300c
    wanted to return it. coud not. plantroncis support sucked. i put jabra ear jels on it and it is better now but still wish i could return it. because of support i recieved from plantronics i will never purchase another plantronics unit again. I hope everyone follows me and drives them out of business.
    I can't comment on their support. Let's hope I don't have to. I do like the product, so I for one don't want them to go out of business. Maybe some better business reports my drive up their customer/support services.
    <-Jumping ship on the Palm Pre and getting the HTC EVO...So far that's the 650, 800w, the Pro, Pre and soon the HTC EVO...
    I love this headset. You can indeed redial with a double tap of the button - BUT - the Treo must have the screen on. It will not redial with the screen off. This is a Treo issue, one that I hope is fixed in the next one.

The volume is loud enough for me without VolumeCare.
    Highly Mobile iPhone User

Palm Pilot -> Palm Pilot Pro -> HP 620LX -> Palm VII -> Palm VIIx -> Ipaq 3270 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p - iPhone - iPhone 3G
    How does the 640 compare to the Voyager 510? Which firmware and phone (Sprint, Cingular, etc) are you guys using. I'm using th 510 and like it pretty well, but do have some static and a delay in headset pick-up.
    G4 1.5Ghz 12" Powerbook. Cingular branded 650 with Palm unbranded firmware.
    VolumeCare doesn't do anything for bluetooth headsets...
    Quote Originally Posted by bling300c
    i put jabra ear jels on it...................

Hi, How did this work in terms of comfort and doe sit stay on better than the ones that coem with it. BTW if you need I have the direct number for the cust serv veep. Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Has anyone had both the Sony HBH-660/662 & the Plantronics 640? how do the 2 compare. I have the 662 (with a Jabra eargel) & love it, but have been eyeing the plantronics lately...
  11.    #11  
    Can't say that I have the two to compare. I know that I like mine more and more everyday. Now I can say that the "on the go" charger is awesome. I finally had a reason to use it. I was using my headset paired with my laptop at work and forgot how long I had been using it. It ran out of juice half way through the day (5 hours or so I think), so I pluged the AAA battery into it and in an hour was ready for business again (partial charge). Pretty cool. Other headsets don't have that. It comes in the "spy case" of goodies.

Anyone know which other headsets support multipoint? Now, if only it was possible to pair 3 ways I woud be in "technogeek heaven"

Also, I do have volume care, but it does nothing for headsets. You really, truely do not need it with this headset. I found i had to turn mine down because it was so loud at full volume. And it is clear as anyone could hope for on a treo 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert
    Hi, How did this work in terms of comfort and doe sit stay on better than the ones that coem with it. BTW if you need I have the direct number for the cust serv veep. Take care, Jay
    jabra ear jels worked good. i can walk around without the ear hook and it stays on very well. volume increased and so did the comfort. the round jels hurt my ears.
    Quote Originally Posted by estim8r
    How does the 640 compare to the Voyager 510? Which firmware and phone (Sprint, Cingular, etc) are you guys using. I'm using th 510 and like it pretty well, but do have some static and a delay in headset pick-up.

Anyone?
    G4 1.5Ghz 12" Powerbook. Cingular branded 650 with Palm unbranded firmware.
  14.    #14  
    Well, with my 640, there is some static when I go accross my body. There is also about a 1.5 second delay when I transfering to the headset. Not too bad IMO
    Quote Originally Posted by GMSchiller

Anyone know which other headsets support multipoint? Now, if only it was possible to pair 3 ways I woud be in "technogeek heaven"
    JABRA BT800. You can pair up to 5 I think.
    David
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    I love mine. I use it with my 8125 and it rings in my ear BEFORE it rings on my 8125. BTW, I only use the travel charger. Each AAA battery lasts about a weeks.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    UPDATE: Each AAA battery is actually lasting about 5 days. Also, noise reduction is not that great. Still a good headset.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
  18.    #18  
    I have noticed a small amount of hissing. As I work on an air station, it's not a big deal for me. I'm just happy I can still hear my conversation when jets are flying over my head. That's not the case on my wife's wep150.

I have yet to really need my travel charger, but I keep it in my truck regardless. What would have been ideal is if the travel charger were a stand alone charger. To further explain this, I mean it would be great if the ear piece could be connected to it without having to have the main charging sleeve that you use with the AC adapter. I am going to buy a second charging sleeve so I don't need to worry about it. Honestly, if I'm charging on the go, what are the chances I have the charging sleeve with me? It stays at home.

Typically, I go 2 days before I really need to charge it back up. But I mainly just use it in the truck, or if I know the conversation is going to be a long one.