Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
    Any suggestions for a headset? I need an earbud type set, but it seems like there is a lot of questionable stuff out there. It would be nice to have a clip with a 2.5 or 3.5mm jack so that one could use their standard wired stereo earbuds, but I have yet to fund such a beast. Considering how many sets of earbuds I go through in a year, I hate to buy a hardwired set.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    I found this for those interested:

http://www.mobileplanet.com/product.asp?code=125691

Here is a review for a similar item (the review item didn't have the 3.5mm jack):

http://www.pocketnow.com/index.php?a...reviews&id=675

I think I'll order one - I'll report back as soon as it arrives.

EDIT - I just re-read through the posts and see where someone has tried this model with not-so-great results.
    Last edited by eflightcentral; 02/27/2006 at 08:46 AM.
    The only problem with the ones above is the wires dangling from the headphones defeat the whole wireless thing.

I would like to see a around the neck pair that's foldable in the middle.

This is going to be awesome, just think no more dumb adapters, broken jacks. and dangling cords.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    I'm the one that had the not so positive results with the S-35 clip headphones (see my post above).

I agree about the wires kind of defeating the purpose of "wireless" headphones but here's why I ordered these:

You can select any set of headphones you like - full ear coverage, buds, cheap, expensive, etc.

You can only use one so you can drive with it, and/or carry on local conversations while wearing it.

All of the "wireless" ones i've seen are really big and just plain goofy looking (subjective of course) but I wouldn't want to use most of them in public.

So while I don't think thse are ideal, and have their own drawbacks, they do work fine with a proper implementation of A2DP (my HP6515 works fine with audio and phone calls switching back and forth as needed) they're cheap, and they have the advantages I listed above. When they come out with something as flexible that don't look like something off of a "Smooth Sounds of the 70's" album cover I'll be all over them.

And of course like all of these gadgets, everybody has different needs and wants. Good luck in your search, keep us all in the loop as to what you find.

-bostonGuy
    Can this solution support 2 different headsets?

IE the stereo ones for when Im working out, listening to music on the T650 etc. (very rarely if ever even have the phone on while Im listening to MP3's)

And then... My Sony DR-BT1 in the car or out and about when I need to actually use the phone.

Will this work?
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Sure, you can "pair" as many BT devices as you need within reason. When I turn on my S-35 clip my Treo sees it as one device - a stereo headset. But if I turn on my Motorola single ear BT handsfree (can't remeber the model) it see that too.

The S-35 will work with the Softick Audio Gateway and stream stereo sound, the Moto will work with the phone side as a hands free device. Not sure what would happen if i turned them both on (it would probably end the universe as we know it).

My HP6515 however sees my S-35 as two devices in it's BT manager program - a hands free and a stereo headset.

I think that's where the problem is going to be. The Palm native BT software doesn't "know" about anything other than hands-free BT audio devices - you can't even set them up. The Softick product doesn't "know" about anything other than stereo headsets - and you can't setup a mono hands free in it's interface.

But my HP BT manager "knows" about both devices - it treats them as seperate entries, but probably better manages the hand off of the respective phone/audio activities better since it's the only traffic cop on the job.

Maybe Softick can figure out a way to better "spilt up" these dual headsets but i'm guessing since they don't replace the BT manager in the Treo, but augment it, it's going to be tough - at least for every device.

-bostonGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by eflightcentral
    Any suggestions for a headset? I need an earbud type set, but it seems like there is a lot of questionable stuff out there. It would be nice to have a clip with a 2.5 or 3.5mm jack so that one could use their standard wired stereo earbuds, but I have yet to fund such a beast. Considering how many sets of earbuds I go through in a year, I hate to buy a hardwired set. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    Well, IIRC, there's only 4 listed in post No. 4 as "tested and working"....I'd limit my choices to those if I was interested.
    Quote Originally Posted by bostonguy
    Sure, you can "pair" as many BT devices as you need within reason. When I turn on my S-35 clip my Treo sees it as one device - a stereo headset. But if I turn on my Motorola single ear BT handsfree (can't remeber the model) it see that too.

The S-35 will work with the Softick Audio Gateway and stream stereo sound, the Moto will work with the phone side as a hands free device. Not sure what would happen if i turned them both on (it would probably end the universe as we know it).

-bostonGuy

Ill just use my flux capacitor to make sure the space / time continum doesnt rip a black hole in our universe.

No, but seriously thanks for the response, I dont think Ill need the "traffic cop" to worry about it since Ill most likely do what you said, Ill turn one off and the other on when I need each device. This is due to almost never turning on the phone when Im listening to music. So its going to be a good day when I get my stereo BT headphones.
    There is no spoon.
    Has anyone tried this in a car? I've got a Prius with BT and was wondering whether I might be able to play music via BT from Treo through the Prius speakers.
  10.    #90  
    I have an e-mail from Softick that they have fixed the problem of answering phone calls while streaming. Look for a future update.

Very slick...
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Has anyone noticed a difference in the data rate your MP3s are ripped in? for performance of the software. IE with the movie playback it skips (from reports) just wondering if the higher bitrate MP3s will make it skip?
    There is no spoon.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    To answer "acousticbiker" I'm pretty sure cars with Bluetooth built-in are only for hands free phone use and not for patching in Bluetooth high quality streams into the car stereo.

I'm sure that as A2DP gets more pervasive there will be BT "recievers" built-in to car, and home audio equipment. Heck if the iPod had A2DP they'd probably already be offering it on Jags and Beemers!

Also you can expect to see more and more "dongle's" for recieving audio that you would patch into home and (some) car stereo's. It's just such very new technology right now. In three years every MP3/video player will probably have it, but until then it is lonely out here on the cutting edge.

-bostonGuy
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    I have been waiting anxiously with the rest of you for the ability to listen to audio over bluetooth without my dongle. I was catching up on my RSS feeds on my Treo the other night in bed when I read about this on one of the Palm feeds. I blurted out "Oh my gosh! They did it!" My husband (who is not a geek) could just not understand the magnitude of this discovery and did not find it worthy of being woken up.

However, my bubble burst. I only listen to Audible and podcasts on my Treo and I need a discrete one ear option for use while driving and shopping etc.

BostonGuy - did you ever find a good single ear A2DP solution?
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    autiger,

I looked and looked and looked for a discrete one ear device that would do this but never found anything. That's why the S-35 was a good compromise. I actually cut the longer "right" ear bud off the headpones they come with and use that as my discrete, mono, left ear bud with the clip part clipped to my collar, near a shirt button (depending on the shirt), etc. Then I use a nicer pair of stereo ear buds (old iPod's actually) with the S-35 when i want full stereo. Not a perfect solution but for $65 bucks and some old iPod headphones not too bad.

What's funny is there are hacks for most WM devices that do allow you to stream all audio content to the single ear devices like my moto ear loop thingie. I did it with an i730 a friend lent me to play with, and I can do it with my SMT5600 Smartphone - AM quality at best but i love streaming talk radio and/or movies and such that don't need hifi qauality. I love it because it's small, discrete and pocketable.

However with my HP6515 (yes I have three PDA phones and swap my Cingular SIM between them as the mood strikes me - I do need medical help - just ask my wife) since it supports A2DP I can't find a hack that will allow my discrete little moto BT ear clip to work with it. Thus the S-35 was the best compromise.

I doubt I'll even buy the Softick Audio Gateway app since my Treo doesn't get used too much these days. I can do so much more of the things I like (streaming my local Boston radio talk shows, and my cable TV) with both of my WM boxes, that I generally use one of them.

If you do find something that improves upon the S-35 please post it here for all to see.

-bostonGuy

EDIT: One thing to keep in mind, with the S-35 one ear bud approach, it's probably more discreet than a normal BT earpiece. One slim wire and an ear bud is pretty discreet all things considered.
    Last edited by bostonguy; 02/27/2006 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Update: Discretion advantage - S-35
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    The only problem with the ones above is the wires dangling from the headphones defeat the whole wireless thing.

I would like to see a around the neck pair that's foldable in the middle.

This is going to be awesome, just think no more dumb adapters, broken jacks. and dangling cords.
    Brookstone has a set for $150 that folds three ways. Just picked it up this morning. Still a little bulky, but better than the non-folding HP set that I borrowed from my roomate (the ones that split down the middle after using for a while). They also work as hands-free headset. I got each to work individually, but not both together. When a call comes in, the treo switches to speakerphone. I've tested P-tunes and Audible. Both work fine. There is a little crackling at the beginning, and very occasionally, but nothing terrible yet. Brookstone has a liberal return policy, so I'll see how well they hold up.

Even though, they're still a little bulky, they seem to be well made and very bendable. I wouldn't carry them in a pocket (unless you wear very baggy pants).
    iTech (the maker of the S-35) also makes a 'Clip III' that is a single earpiece model with A2DP profile. Actually it's stereo but one of the earpieces unplugs and leaves you with a single.

http://www.itechdynamic.com/

Finding the iTech line in the US is the hard part....

Steve
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Yeah I've seen the Brookstone's and again for something discreet and pocketable, they just didn't fit the bill. The S-35 seems to be behaving not dis-similarly to the Brookstone's in that both sides of them (Hands free and A2DP) work fine independently, they just don't "hand off" to each other very well.

Again I really think that since the Softick product is "seperate" from the Palm BT manager/app/stack (whatever) it's going to be difficult to make it seemless.

Just MHO of course.

-bostonGuy
    So does this Softick think allow voice dialing via bluetooth headset?
    OMG.. I think I just wet myself...

This works great with my Motorola BT820 headset listening to MP3's and TCPMP Movies. MobiTV does not like it yet and I had to disable Freedom to make it work.

I've been wanting this feature for over a year for my 650. This will make it very hard to want to upgrade to the 700p (or whatever it's gonna be called).

First Fat32 support from Shadowmite, then the cool rom update tool, fast blazer... This is a very good month for the Treo 650.
    Palm V -> Pocket PC -> Treo 650 GSM
    ----------------- ^
    Slipped to the "Dark Side" for a while, But I'm back
    still charging my brand new bt820 headset. this thing looks awesome, feels awesome and is available at your local radioshack. only 1.5 hours left until i can use em. anybody know if these will pair to a mac to stream audio too? what about an adapter so i can use my ipod too? soooooo excited. i even found a good review of this headset here: http://www.shaunchng.com/articles/wr...820/mht820.php

edit: looks like i may have to replace my pioneer in-dash dvd with one of these bad boys too: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...832622,00.html

i just wish they had something to plug into the ipbus to give it this functionality.
    Last edited by lovedatreo; 02/27/2006 at 03:52 PM.
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast