Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 914151617181920 LastLast
    I've continued to test the HBH-DS970 with SAG 1.06. So far, I've had almost zero problems now that I use my SAG-restarting method and as long as I don't use the headset's "call" button if streaming is enabled. I'm thrilled to be able to listen to music on the train and read or sketch without interference.

The only thing I would say would-be HBH-DS970 buys should consider is this: The Treo 650, having only Bluetooth 1.1 implemented runs at the very limit of its functionality when streaming via the A2DP. As such, the stream of music is very prone to interference. I can not put the Treo in my back pocket and stream music, nor can I put the Treo deep in my backpack. I've had some success streaming with the Treo in my backpack's top-out pocket, but mostly I need to keep it in my pants-front or jacket-breast pocket to sucessfully stream music. This puts into question if music streaming will work with the HBH-DS970 if the Treo is in a briefcase or purse. However; if the Treo is on belt-clip, I imagine this will be best.

My experience with the HBH-DS970 has been very positive so far. I have only a few other critiques, but I don't know if they will affect anyone's choice of this device as their headset. I'm a product designer and most of my work and time is spent understanding how people interact with objects. Sony Ericsson has consistently succeeded at making headsets with interfaces that most people can use with little error and without much concentration (some people might refer to this as 'intuitively' but I don't like that word). I'm afraid that the HBH-DS970 is not quite up to Sony Ericsson's standard in this regard.
    - The Power button is difficult to press correctly and in a location that only makes it more difficult to press.
    - The display has only one orientation, which means that you must hold the headset likewise. My HBH-660 had a way of reversing the display which alleviated this issue, but the HBH-DS970 does not appear to.
    - The forward/backward slider is slippery enough that it limits control and leads to user error.
    - The headset can pair to one phone which streams music and handles calls, or it can connect to a phone as a headset, and another device, such as a computer or a DAP, to stream music. There is a physical switch to select between these two modes. The switch an obtuse icon painted next to it. The LCD indicates the mode with a clear icon showing either one or two devices, but you must flip the switch to see those icons. Just looking at the switch doesn't clearly communicate which state the headset is in. Admittedly, most users will never touch this switch, but some might and this may end up being confusing.
    - The LCD is very hard to read without the backlight engaged. This really only limits reading the battery level since the backlight engages whenever you perform any action or when a call comes in, but it's still a nuisance. The plastic attracts a lot of oil from my fingers - again a nuisance and actually impedes reading the LCD even more.
    - The headset comes with a simple plastic-shell carrying case with a very flimsy hinge. This hinge will surely break within a month or two of purchase making the case useless. That doesn't bother me, but might irritate other potential buyers.
    - Lastly, and this is speculation, but the headphones may fail soon as well. The headphones appear in construction to be identical to Sony's MDR-EX51LP or MDR-EX71LP headphones which are prone to break (see the above Amazon links). Since the headphones can not be replaced, I suggest that purchasers take particularly gentle care with this headset or consider waiting until the Fall to see how the next few months go for early adopters.

I hope this helps others considering this headset, and I hope I wasn't needlessly detailed.

Conrad

P.S. I purchased mine from the same vendor as ehosey2 based on his recommendation in this other thread. Thanks again ehosey2!
    Last edited by Conrad; 07/01/2006 at 01:31 PM. Reason: added link to SAG-restarting method
    Quote Originally Posted by Conrad
    - Lastly, and this is speculation, but the headphones may fail soon as well. The headphones appear in construction to be identical to Sony's MDR-EX51LP or MDR-EX71LP headphones which are prone to break (see the above Amazon links). Since the headphones can not be replaced, I suggest that purchasers take particularly gentle care with this headset or consider waiting until the Fall to see how the next few months go for early adopters.

I hope this helps others considering this headset, and I hope I wasn't needlessly detailed.

Conrad

P.S. I purchased mine from the same vendor as ehosey2 based on his recommendation in this other thread. Thanks again ehosey2!
    I had read many complaints about those Sony headphones as well from Amazon reviews, over at the iPodLounge and on other forums. I've also experienced this cord wearing / eventual disintegration problem with those Sony headphones as it only takes a couple of months of regular use for it to start happening. When I saw the pictures of the headphones that are permanently attached to the DS970, I knew that it would be a fragile unit or would not last very long.

That's why I've avoided it and have sought after other units that let you connect any headphones you want such as the GlobalSat BTH-820, Sony VGP-BRM1D and the upcoming Motorola model similar to the Sony.

I'm using headphones now made by a company called Rivet. They're lanyard headphones as well and will work nicely with the GlobalSat 820 or (if I can ever get my hands on one) the Sony BRM1D.
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    I have also heard of durability issues with Sony headphones but if this headset has any problems at least these come with a 1 year warranty from Sony Ericsson. Maybe by then if there is an overall quality issue the replacements will be new and improved. But, overall IMO I am very pleased so far with the quality.

--------------------------------
    Merlin S620 EVDO
    Treo 650 Sprint 1.13A
    Sony Ericsson HBH-DS970 with SAG 1.06 !
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Here is another update about my further testing of SAG 1.06 with my Treo 650 and the HBH-DS970 stereo headset. I was able to dedicate some extended time as I was experiencing some inconsistent results in regards to caller ID being displayed on the Sony LCD while streaming music in remote mode in SAG.

Everything Conrad had posted earlier for those who are following this thread remain true. There is something though that I have experienced and do not recall ever reading anywhere else. This might even affect other bluetooth stereo headsets in regards to caller ID information being displayed as well as correct handoff of music pausing, transitioning to the headsets built in ringer.

From my testing using my Treo 650 and my HBH-DS970, the caller ID of the incoming call is displayed on the Sony LCD every single time UNLESS the following application is ENABLED on the Treo 650. The suspect application I fear affecting correct operation is Callfilter, version 1.3.1. Other versions might or might not exhibit the same behavior but this is the version I am using.

With Callfilter ENABLED, I am experiencing from my testing those incorrect operations in regards to the caller ID of the incoming call. When Callfilter is ENABLED and with SAG 1.06 in remote mode, the Treo will ring showing caller ID on the Treo but not on the SONY LCD. Even stranger is the fact that the music will pause as it should but when answering the call, there is no capture from the headset to handle the call. It just goes through the Treo's speakers or earpiece. I would ENABLE Callfilter and these things happened. I would then DISABLE Callfilter and everything operates as it should. Caller ID of the incoming call would be displayed on the Sony LCD and on the Treo it would say " No Caller ID. " The music would pause when the call came in and the Sony ringer would sound through the earbuds. I would then answer the call using the Treo's green button with no problems.

So, this is my latest discovery as far as my personal Treo and headset is concerned. I do like Callfilter's features very much but want my BT stereo headset to operate as it is supposed to so I will keep Callfilter disabled for now. I wonder too if maybe the Call Shield application installed would affect normal operation of my headset. If anyone else can provide feedback, maybe even from other headset issues regarding this possibility, please post.

------------------------------------
    Merlin S620 EVDO
    Treo 650 Sprint 1.13A
    Sony Ericsson HBH-DS970 with SAG 1.06 !
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Not sure who's been following the Softick forums, but there's a new beta out - 1.07. It doesn't seem to work with the 700P - at least not with my HT820's. Everything I do just makes my 700P crash. I guess I'm going to have to return my HT820's, as it's been almost a month since I bought them and it doesn't look like there will be a solution that works reliably with these and the 700P any time soon. Here's a link to the thread about 1.07B:

http://www.softick-forum.com/viewtopic.php?p=845#845
    Twitter: @dvdmon

Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    I had read many complaints about those Sony headphones as well from Amazon reviews, over at the iPodLounge and on other forums. I've also experienced this cord wearing / eventual disintegration problem with those Sony headphones as it only takes a couple of months of regular use for it to start happening. When I saw the pictures of the headphones that are permanently attached to the DS970, I knew that it would be a fragile unit or would not last very long.

That's why I've avoided it and have sought after other units that let you connect any headphones you want such as the GlobalSat BTH-820, Sony VGP-BRM1D and the upcoming Motorola model similar to the Sony.

I'm using headphones now made by a company called Rivet. They're lanyard headphones as well and will work nicely with the GlobalSat 820 or (if I can ever get my hands on one) the Sony BRM1D.
    I've only had 1 in 4 sets of MDR-EX71LP with the fraying insulation, and it was my only white pair. My oldest pair was in constant use everyday for about 2 years, and then one of the drivers went out. The wires on the HBH-DS970 seem like they have firmer and tighter insulation around the wires of the headphones which I think might solve the problem. The EX71's wires always seemed to me to have loose insulation, and it was really soft. I've only had the 970 since monday, so I'll update if anything changes. Right now I'm just amazed by their sound quality from my laptop. If SAG ever starts working reliably on my 700p, I'll give that a shot.
    Oh its driving me crazy that Softick hasnt figured out a way to support the 700P. Does anyone have an idea of other companies that are making a similar product to SAG?
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    I have always loved softick. thay have been a really good company for us palm users.
    The lack of of upgrades to 700p for SAG and Card Export II is really disappointing.
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
    I am wondering if softic on the palm is dead. Their utter lack of communications is dreadful
    Anyone have Audio gateway 1.04 and 1.05 I could try?

(I have all the other versions, and they work intermittantly)

That would help with my treo 700 and HT820's...mail to

foundationonline[at]homail[dot]com

thanks,

Darkside
    Can we get the community to post all the versions? Ive gone to SAG's site and the only versions I found were the current one and the 1.04.

Can we all get together and post all the versions so we can all try them on our 700's?

PLEASE?

Ill post what I have!

UPDATE/EDIT: seems I did have several of the files. Also the last file is a Beta, install and use at your own risk.

Also Im pretty sure SAG has a 2 week trial built in so, after that registration is up to you guys!

Enjoy!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Hdhntr23; 09/18/2006 at 11:16 AM.
    There is no spoon.
    whats the bottomline? does this make a2dp happen on wx?
    Quote Originally Posted by athreya View Post
    whats the bottomline? does this make a2dp happen on wx?
    No, the wx is a windows devices and SAG is a POS program.
    There is no spoon.
    Has anyone been able to get this to work with the 700p yet. on the bottom of this link, they state 700p support. Is it a typo?
    Softick Audio Gateway
    http://www.mobihand.com/treocentral/product.asp?id=5536
    V1.05
    I use 1.04 it is not great but it does work seems to work better with p tunes not great with sprint tv or mobi tv
    Fred
    What Treo are you using, a 700p, 700w, 650 or something else?
    Quote Originally Posted by fkpalm View Post
    I use 1.04 it is not great but it does work seems to work better with p tunes not great with sprint tv or mobi tv
    Fred
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    I'm just wondering if anybody has gotten Softick Audio Gateway to work yet with the Treo 700p? Because I'm very happy with the almost flawless performance of SAG 1.06 and my HBH-DS970, I sometimes wish my 650 had EVDO for web browsing. If A2DP/AVRC capabilities ever become a reality for the 700p I'm buying it. Until then, I'm holding out.
    HP Pre 3 16GB AT&T
    HP Touchpad 32GB
    Global Posts
    734 Global Posts
    your HBH DS970 works flawlessly? Including answering and hanging up on calls?
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...

Roi Batty

palm IIIe(clear plastic)/m130/Tungsten E/Sprint Treo 650/Treo 755p
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tedcousens View Post
    your HBH DS970 works flawlessly? Including answering and hanging up on calls?

The word used in my previous post is " almost. " The call handling issues have been mentioned in several previous posts but to reiterate, here goes. With SAG in " internal " mode, no call handling issues. No resets, no freezes, and no problems. Everything works as it should. This includes using the call button on the headset and using the Treo green button and the center button on the 5 way. When in " remote " mode, answering and hanging up a call using the Treo green button or the center button on the 5 way works with no issues. No freezes, no resets, and no problems. The problem ONLY occurs if trying to answer an incoming call using the HBH-DS970's call button when in " remote " mode. So this to me makes the performance ALMOST flawless. I'm very happy with the headset. I just sometimes wish it would work with the 700p.
    HP Pre 3 16GB AT&T
    HP Touchpad 32GB
    Global Posts
    734 Global Posts
    I am curious to hear from others how softicks' 1.07beta is doing and I am going to the other thread- bluetooth stereo smackdown which is where this discussion shoud be...

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=108321
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...

Roi Batty

palm IIIe(clear plastic)/m130/Tungsten E/Sprint Treo 650/Treo 755p