Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    I've been reading around sites and this forum and people mention radio but never really say what it does? is it normal AM/FM radio?
    You can listen to am/fm radio on your treo?
    It's the part that works with the wireless phone company to allow voice and data. The part that gets turned on/off by pressing the red button for a few seconds.

PDA + Radio = Treo !!
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    oh that's what it means... so is there a way to listen to AM/FM radio on treo?
    Not directly - you can sign up for feeds from the web but I wouldn't recommend it because it's if'y at best.

It's hoped that then nex-Palm based generation of Treo will have better live feed capabilites (EVDO, HSPDA) or true 3G internet speed connectivity.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperian
    oh that's what it means... so is there a way to listen to AM/FM radio on treo?
    If you have pTunes (highly recommended) then you can listen to the "internet radios" that use shoutcast or ogg-vorbis format to stream their content over the internet.

On CDMA (sprint, verizon) you won't be able to receive phone calls while the data connection is active. On GSM, you are theoretically supposed to get incoming calls (it interrupts data transfer), but it is iffy in my experience. Half of my incoming calls went to voicemail.

Still, not a bad thing when stuck in a car-pool that's listening to the inane local radio (I can stream NPR then!!)
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Electrical signals get thru the air thru wires or by electromagnetic radiation or "radio". Since you don't walk around with a wire tethering your cell phone to the network, the signals are radiated from your phone out to the tower when you talk and back to the phone from the tower when you listen. When peeps talk about bthe radio, they are referring to the little gadget that sends this signal outta ya phoen and receives the signals into your phone.

Now ina ddition to voice signals which w epay for under our voice plans, the phones are also capable of radiating "data signals" (tho in truth both are data) for web and e-mail use.

Radio stations broadcast over the air and the AM/FM frequencies that you refer to are not capable of being picked up by the radio receiver in your phone. However many radio stations also broadcsat their signals over the internet. You can use the data transmitting capabilities of your phonr to connect to the internet and "downlaod" the simulcast of what your favorite radio station is broadcasting.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    ah alright.. too bad i dont want to pay 15 bucks a month just so i can listen to radio on my phone instead of bringing another gaget with me that has am/fm radio
    I don't see why you'd have to pay 15 bucks a month. I listen to internet radio on my Treo all the time and it doesn't cost me a dime. Unless you're referring to an unlimited data plan.

Click here for a simple-stupid walk-through in easily getting internet radio stations configured for your Treo. There are TONS to choose from
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    I don't see why you'd have to pay 15 bucks a month. I listen to internet radio on my Treo all the time and it doesn't cost me a dime. Unless you're referring to an unlimited data plan.:
    yes, that's what he meant.