Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    What is all that ROM stuff? How do I start? I've been reading hundreds of posts and still don't get it? Can someone do a for Idiots post? Start with "press this" or "sync that".

In other words, step by step and also what are the benefits? Starting with the knowledge of a virgin Treo.
    Wait... I'm thinking of writing such a posting. Where all information would
    be in one place, ready for a newbie. Would you like to help too?

Previously I was obsessed with owning a Treo 650. Now I'm obsessed with
    trying to "upgrade" it.

- mvk
    Are you refering to upgrading your ROM or Customizing your ROM?
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    I would like that very much. My treo is due to come in Wednesday March 1.
    If you are talking about customizing this is the place to start.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=107543
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Quote Originally Posted by mgauss
    What is all that ROM stuff? How do I start? I've been reading hundreds of posts and still don't get it? Can someone do a for Idiots post? Start with "press this" or "sync that".

In other words, step by step and also what are the benefits? Starting with the knowledge of a virgin Treo.
    Check your pm's. I'll be glad to help this evening if you are available.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    I know what you mean. I'd like to create a custom rom, but I'm a little hesitatant to do it until I can somehow come across simple-stupid insturctions for doing so. I'd hate to permanently screw my Treo up.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    If anyone wants help today (Saturday 2/25/06) with creating a custom ROM, send me a pm. I will help as time permits. It is very easy once you know how. You will need:

*Windows xp
    *download and install the .NET framework 2.0. Available from Microsoft's website or Windows Update.
    *A Windows Messenger account (it is free). Windows Messenger comes with Windows xp. It is in your start menu. Sign up for an account so that I can assist you. We will need to connect using Windows Messenger. This way we can chat, and I can see your screen and even control your computer if you want while you watch.

I will try to check my pm's throughout the day if anyone wants assistance. You need to understand the risks involved, and I will not be responsible if your Treo gets ruined. That said, I actually bricked mine once, but it is very easy to recover (takes about 5 minutes).
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Is there a list somewhere of all the files that come in a standard phone (I am interested in modifying a 1.17 CNB ROM)? I'd like to find a list of all the files, what each one is for and which ones can be safely removed, along with what you lose when you remove them.

What I'd like to do is download my phone's ROM (already done), remove some items of my choosing (based on the list above) and then add some other things I frequently use. I don't yet feel comfortable removing files as I don't know which ones are needed and which ones are not.
    Quote Originally Posted by emuyshondt
    Is there a list somewhere of all the files that come in a standard phone (I am interested in modifying a 1.17 CNB ROM)? I'd like to find a list of all the files, what each one is for and which ones can be safely removed, along with what you lose when you remove them.

What I'd like to do is download my phone's ROM (already done), remove some items of my choosing (based on the list above) and then add some other things I frequently use. I don't yet feel comfortable removing files as I don't know which ones are needed and which ones are not.
    I believe what you seek can be found here:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...1&postcount=93

Thanks, Tony. That is what I was looking for. I got to Shadowmite's http://www.shadowmite.com/filelist.pdf for the list of files. It is for Sprint, but it should get me on my way to figure out what Cingular uses.
    emuyshondt,

I have a custom ROM for CNB that only has the FAT32 driver replacement and one that has that + removed QuickTour, Real, WorldClock, and all languages but English if you want one of them to start with, PM me.

Thanks to James for starting me off with the base CNB custom ROM
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."