Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    My fourth car charger has bit the dust. All of them seem to fall apart after a few months of use Can anyone reccomend a good charger?
    ReMax Properties Unlimited
    Morristown NJ
    pmdied@gmail.com
    www.peterdieduardo.com
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    I just use an igo from radioshack. It's sexy.
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    I've had this one for over a year now and never had any problems with it.

If yours says "Seidio" on it somewhere, maybe that's the problem.
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
    I bought one from BoxWave (boxwave.com I think) that I've had for over a year w/no problems. It can also be used in a wall-socket. I bring it w/me as my travel charger everywhere I go. It uses a USB hot-sync cable that you have to buy seperately, but its totally worth it.
    i use the iGo Juice. it ain't cheap, but it works well, and of course also charges my laptop (as well as my disk mp3 player) and works from a wall outlet too.

about 14 months after i bought it, it stopped working. i e-mailed iGo, who gave me an RMA and had it back to me in working order (repaired the failed cable) within a week.
    The palm one works great...
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Look at it this way:

1. You have a 120v charger for your Treo
    2. Ya wife has a 120v charger for her phone
    3. Ya kids have a 120v charger for their GameBoys
    4. Ya digital camera has a 120v charger
    5. All your other toys and gadgets come witha 120v charger.
    6. Car chargers are usually "rapid chargers" meaning they hurt battery life.

The simple alternative is buy a 12 DC -> 120 v AC converter at Radio Shack or wherever for the cost equal to a car charger for any ONE of those items above. Keep it in your glove compartment as have since I bought the Belkin model sitting in my glove compartment since 1994 !

Now when you go on a trip, the same 120v charger you gonna use on all your gadgets at the hotel still works in the car. In fact, with the Treo it's kinda easy.... I have 3 120volt chargers....one came with the Treo, one with the TWH and one with the cradle......one at the office, one at home and one always in the car.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Look at it this way:

1. You have a 120v charger for your Treo
    2. Ya wife has a 120v charger for her phone
    3. Ya kids have a 120v charger for their GameBoys
    4. Ya digital camera has a 120v charger
    5. All your other toys and gadgets come witha 120v charger.
    6. Car chargers are usually "rapid chargers" meaning they hurt battery life.

The simple alternative is buy a 12 DC -> 120 v AC converter at Radio Shack or wherever for the cost equal to a car charger for any ONE of those items above. Keep it in your glove compartment as have since I bought the Belkin model sitting in my glove compartment since 1994 !

Now when you go on a trip, the same 120v charger you gonna use on all your gadgets at the hotel still works in the car. In fact, with the Treo it's kinda easy.... I have 3 120volt chargers....one came with the Treo, one with the TWH and one with the cradle......one at the office, one at home and one always in the car.
    Do rapid chargers really hurt battery life? I never knew that, but now that you mention it, I do feel like my treo's battery has not been holding out for quite as long as it used to. I had always attributed that to the firmware upgrades or BT or something. Very interesting...
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Jack makes a couple of very good points, and he's absolutely right about battery life. They charger quicker than AC, but it's a tradeoff. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $car$ $chargers$ $have$ $been$ $hazardous$ $to$ $long$-$term$ $battery$ $health$ $since$ $the$ $TDMA$/$NiMH$ $days$.
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
    Quote Originally Posted by lawrence
    Do rapid chargers really hurt battery life? I never knew that, but now that you mention it, I do feel like my treo's battery has not been holding out for quite as long as it used to. I had always attributed that to the firmware upgrades or BT or something. Very interesting...
    I can't speak for the Treo battery but my wife killed 3 nokias within weeks of each other using a car charger right after all that hands fee law stuff passed. I risked soem tickets but my phone (same model) I had for almost 5 years.
    I have a Treo 650. I use a garden variety cigarette lighter power adapter for the phone which has a curled up cord that plugs into the little female power jack on the bottom of the unit.

It is all but unuseable. Since there's no way to lock the cable into place with a "click" like most cellphones, the slightest tug pulls out the cable out. What do you guys use that actually works and allows you to talk while plugged in?

(I love my Treo, BTW, and have had it for over a year. That says a lot!)
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    I try to avoid the car chargers, much better off getting an extra wall charger or cradle and charging the battery that way. The car chargers tend to burn up the battery quicker thus requiring a new battery sooner.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    I'm using a cigarette-adapter to USB device I bought from etronics. Works well
    Former: Visor, Prism, VisorPhone, Treo 270,Treo 650, Centro Now: Pre
    <merged>
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    JackNAYlorPE,

Let me make sure I understand this:

The converter plugs into the cigarette lighter socket in your car and then you plug a Treo wall charger into the converter? Is that right?

Just want to make sure.

Tks
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Yes that is correct and it works great. I also use this for my laptop computer and my printer.
    I would also like to give props to the BoxWave VersaCharger... +++
    I use a Rugged Car Charger for my Treo 650. It's heavy duty and works wonderfully.

I purchased it through TreoCentral, but they no longer carry it. You can Google the name and find it elsewhere.
    I tried a couple and opted for the 12v dc to 120ac converter and then the treo power adapter and then the standard treo power adapter.
    Why they can't make a decent charger I do not know.... (to be honest the treo power conector and the stereo headset conector both suck).
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger
    JackNAYlorPE,

Let me make sure I understand this. The converter plugs into the cigarette lighter socket in your car and then you plug a Treo wall charger into the converter? Is that right? Just want to make sure.
    Yes....one end is a ciggie lighter pluggie, the other is a 4x4x1" box with twin 120v female plugs and a on/off switch. You just plug any wall charger into the plug holes. I was gonna hard wire the thing but I have 4 or 5 ciggie lighter plug in places in my car.....3 in front seat, 1 in 2nd seat, 1 at 3rd (I think....tho I may be thinking of other car....I never sat back therre ).

I have the thing plugged into the one that is behind the 1st row of seats up against the back of the between the front seats console and place the unitx in the console with flip down lid that ya stick ya right elbow on while driving.

I have used it to power game boys, air compressors, IPods, phones, laptops, power tools, cameras and even a blender to make pena coladas. Best part is you don't have to buy those ridiculous priced car chargers (one for my camera was $175 ) for 22 devices and other benefit is that most car chargers are "rapid chargers" which fry batteries.