One reason ISPs like doing this, is to encourage their customers to use the company's own VoIP system, rather than a rival's. If the packet is void, and is detected as from the cable company's own product, it is optimised - sent through faster than normal. Other packets are allowed to take their place in what's left of the queue.
    That just burns me up!!!

For example, we use Lingo at home which is more than HALF the price of the Brighthouse digital phone product that my isp offers. It is absolutely ridiculous that isp would purposefully sabotage competing products like this just so they can force you to use their overpriced products...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    That just burns me up!!!

For example, we use Lingo at home which is more than HALF the price of the Brighthouse digital phone product that my isp offers. It is absolutely ridiculous that isp would purposefully sabotage competing products like this just so they can force you to use their overpriced products...
    Yeah...that's pretty friggin' underhanded
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    I am thinking of switching to Vonage, it there any way to find out if my isp does this?
    I just looked at sandvines press releases and so far the only US Based ISP they are willing to talk about is Adelphia. I would bet they would be proud of any US cable carrier and make a press release about it. I had Vonage over My Brighthouse and it worked flawlessly. What I find an intersting assertion in the article is how Sandvine says P2P users cost me money. I am not as big as Comcast but my network has 35 DS3's and I have never once thought my customers were costing me too much. More bandwitdh is getting constantly cheaper as we are upgrading the DS3's to OC3's for nearly the same amount of money.

There is technology that is coming from Bell Labs that will increase the amount of traffic fiber can carry by 256 times, thats far cheaper for backbone providers then licensing software based on the number of users.

Derek