1.    #1  
    I blew out my all my stored contacts while having to perform a hard reset. When I tried to restore everything by synching with my computer, I must've accidentally overwritten my computer. In essence, I lost all my stored contact and calendar info. I was able to do a system restore and capture lost files onto a cd. I think I found my lost contact info under a file entitled "OCMapInfoM.DAT". It's a 72 KB size file and opening it in text/notepad format I can see parts (headers) of what looks to be my contact info. The rest of it is in what looks to be binary or some sort of code (numbers and letters jumbled). However, I can't get it to synch. I've tried by dropping into the Quick Install folder but it doesn't work. A few questions: 1) is this where the info would located and if so, how do I access/synch it? 2) if it isn't where it's located, where would it be found after a system restore? I am absolutely desperate...
    Actually, Im pretty sure the file "address.dat" in your <profile>\address folder contains all of your contacts. I did the same thing when I hard reset my treo and used this file to restore them.

If memory serves me, all i did was copy the file back into place (again- PalmOne\<profilename>\address) and syncronized....

Of course I could also be completely wrong, cause my memory sucks.. but give it a shot!
    OCmapinfoM.dat is the mapping control for sync with Outlook and is not updated as it's typically a static file.

Durex is correct - the file you want is address.dat.

BTW - a system restore does not - repeat not - change or revert data to an earlier point. It only changes hardware settings in case of a conflict.

User files are not typically restored to the earlier date. It would be nice if that were the case but that's what a good backup of your hard drive is still used for.

If your data files were "saved" for each system restore - your hard drive wouldn't take long to fill up with old copies of data.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    IIRC, the normal Palm Desktop files which are sync'd are:

Desktop -- Palm

address.dat -- address.db
    datebook.dat -- datebook.db
    memopad.dat -- memopad.db
    todo.dat -- todo.db

If you can't find those on your Palm, SD Card or desktop, you in a tough spot.
  5.    #5  
    it didn't work. The sub-folder "address.dat" seems to be empty (how is this possible?) while the other sub-folder, "OCMapInfoM.DAT" is full of stuff that I can recognize as being part of my contact info. I'm thoroughly confused.
  6.    #6  
    I think I might be screwed but I can't give up yet as I have serious contact info that I desperately need. Since this forum seems to know much (thank you SO much for your invaluable input), I want to retrace my steps. I initially saved my Palm folder onto a memory stick but then deleted it. I actually got the system restore from the stick - not off the CPU - and found the files there. I don't understand why the address.dat would be empty and everything else still be there? Are there any other possible options available to me?
    Post your last couple of hot sync logs - at least the logs that contain items before the hard reset and after.

But if you Hard Reset and then told Hot Sync Handheld Overwrites Desktop - then you might have "blanked" all of your records.

So then your only hope is too look for files with a ABA (Address Book Archive) and .DBA or datebook archive.

These archive files can be opened from the Palm Desktop application by going to File menu and open Archive for each of the corresponding PIM apps.
    Moose Man
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
  8.    #8  
    I think that's exactly what I did - which then blew out all my contact info... I put all of the Palm files on my memory stick BEFORE I did my hard reset. I then deleted it, but did a restore on it in order to see if I could get the info back. It seems like I got everything EXCEPT "address.dat" and have no clue as to why not. This seems incredibly strange and if anyone has any ideas, please let me know...
  9.    #9  
    took a look in the "open archive" menu for ABA and DBA files and no luck...
    Well, to correctly backup your 4 major PIM files you would have had to copied:

c:\program files\palm\username\addressbook
    ..........................................\datebook
    ...........................................\todo
    ............................................\memos

All four of these folders and there corresponding files which would contain the .dat and **a file for each type.

If you didn't - and as you stated you forced the hot sync to have the "blank" Treo overwrite the data and there are no archive files in the corresponding folders - say goodbye to your data. Sorry but unless it's backedup somewhere else wave goodbye.
    Moose Man
  11.    #11  
    I did copy those - onto my memory stick... I have recovered the majority of lost data from the stick - address book categories, memo headers, etc. The thing that keeps gnawing at me is why I don't have the "address.dat" (it's empty) while having almost everything else, including the ""OCMapInfoM.DAT" file intact and recoverable. This is extremely frustrating and cruel. I'm not super technical but have had my Treo for a year and synch fairly frequently. To have this happen is devastating...
    I took it from a previous post that the OCmapinfo file seems to be a "system" related file which was restored when yu did a system restore. System Restores don't restore any data files. Data files must be backed up regularly....

I back up 15 yers worth of data files to tape daily, to a network drive daily, and my Treo to the SD card daily so I have 3 copies in addition to the ones on my Palm's main memory, in my PIM and in the Palm Desktop. There's a copy of that contacts file on 6 other machines in the office, plus a CD every quarter....okay, I'm anal about backups .

But if you have tax forms, financial records, picture sof the kiddies, I hope you are backing that up, cause you are only one brownout away from losing it all.
    Good Post..this helps me recover Files from Previous Palm Installations.

I have a question about legacy software like the Palm Vx and the Tungston E.

Well, to correctly backup your 4 major PIM files you would have had to copied:

c:\program files\palm\username\addressbook
    ..........................................\datebook
    ...........................................\todo
    ............................................\memos

All four of these folders and there corresponding files which would contain the .dat and **a file for each type.

If you didn't - and as you stated you forced the hot sync to have the "blank" Treo overwrite the data and there are no archive files in the corresponding folders - say goodbye to your data. Sorry but unless it's backedup somewhere else wave goodbye.
    Is the same still true??? Is all of the data contained within these same folders?

I have copies of the C:/program files/Palm....etc etc. when I was using those devices.

If I copy the contents of those folders into my existing palm directories and synch will it ADD all those old contacts to my current list?

Charles
    Gone Tokin, gurgle gurgle...

JediChuckw/Treo

Going for my Treo 700p and icon thingy!!
    JackNaylorPE...with all that information dangling at the tips of your(or someone elses) fingertips. Do you worry about data security?

C
    Gone Tokin, gurgle gurgle...

JediChuckw/Treo

Going for my Treo 700p and icon thingy!!
    I do have to worry about security since I have government contracts. My network is wired so no wireless issues. The only thing that ever leaves my office is a laptop and the Treo.....my lists of contacts is by no means a matter of critical national security. The Treo requires a password to access every 24 hours and I have Remote Lock available.

Only 2 peeps have access to the office machines containing the backed up data. Tapes and CD's are stored in a fireproof safe. Machines that need access to any sensitive data are not equiped with optical drives with write capability. Peeps can only access what projects an files they are authorized to work on. Hard disk partitions with anything really sensitive are not shared.
    Quote Originally Posted by JediChuckw/Treo
    Good Post..this helps me recover Files from Previous Palm Installations.

I have a question about legacy software like the Palm Vx and the Tungston E.

Is the same still true??? Is all of the data contained within these same folders?

I have copies of the C:/program files/Palm....etc etc. when I was using those devices.

If I copy the contents of those folders into my existing palm directories and synch will it ADD all those old contacts to my current list?

Charles
    File structure is identical. The T3 might (depending upon configuration) have two data files for the address info on the PC - one is the address.dat and the other is contact.dat ( The later enhanced PIM applications hardware such as 650, E2, LifeDrive, T5 and Tx did not use this "contact.dat" on the desktop).

If you look at the data on the Treo - it's actually stored in two files - address.pdb and contacts.pdb. This enables the data to be somewhat backward compatible with the legacy devices.

Also, on the desktop you'll see with OS5 devices - another file called address.bak. This is an automatically created backup file in case of accidental corruption - it can be restored from this bak file.

But the simple answer is yes - the PIM info is housed and should therefore be included in a backup of the desktop as noted in the above file structure.

Now sometimes the default path is PalmOne, Palm, Sony, Garmin depending upon the device originally installed on the PC but once you find the user name your good to go.

You can also see the path from within the Palm Desktop by choosing the Tools Menu>Options and look under the General tab for the default path.

I used to have my path setup directly off of the root directory rather than nested under the program files - on an older machine.
    Moose Man
    Is the same still true??? Is all of the data contained within these same folders? I have copies of the C:/program files/Palm....etc etc. when I was using those devices.

I wouldn't add a bunch of stuff at a time as that's lilely to really muck up the works going between Palm models.

For one thing, the structure of the contacts database has changed to support additional fields. I'm not sure how they will import but it's certainly worth trying. You can read the Palm Suppor site on the Treo support page where tou will see that you can downlaod Palm Desktop for the Treo. The version number has an E in it for "Ehanced Fields" or something to that effect and they do eoxplain it in detail.

As for apps, copying a folder of apps from one to the other is a sure fire call for problems. What I would do is this:

1. Hard Reset the device....nothing to lose anyway.
    2. Make sure BTW that you have the correct TREO version (the one with the E) installed on your machine.
    3. Copy the address.dat files from C:\BackupLocation\Palm\[oldusername]\address\ into C:\ProgramFiles\Palm\[newusername]\address
    4. repeat with ToDo, memopad and calendar
    5. Hotsyn with handheld overwrites desktop on the 4 conduits.
    6. Check it out, play with it a day or so. Check and make sure all your apps are OS5 capable in the meantime

7. Install Northglide's Uninstall Manager.
    8. Install first small app / Hotsync...change those 4 conduits to synchronize files
    9. Repeat step 8 for more apps
    10. After getting all the non fussy apps in, play with for a few days.

11. Install one of ya more fussy apps, one at a time (per hotsync)
    12. Repeat 11 til done

Charles
    No.
    Moose Man