Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have successfully gotten Versamail 3.1C working on my SprintPCS 1.13a Treo, as you recall Sprint users only have 3.0 which is shovelware at it's finest. We've been excluded from the bug-fixes and stability improvements of other versions. I've been a registered Snapper user for some time but I'm continually disappointed by the intrusive checking (even with TreoHelper) and the lack of sound-alerts (unless System-Sounds are enabled).

Background:

I am using a Custom Rom I developed which includes the Fat32.PRC and Versmail/Real Player removed.

What I did:

I went to Palm's site and downloaded the 1.17 Offical Firmware (Treo_650_Updater_1_17g.zip). I ran the installation application. I accepted the EULA and left it at the "Connect and hotsync" dialog/prompt. It created a \Program Files\PalmOne\Treo 650 Update folder.

I copied this entire directory to C:\CNG-ROM and added the T3.class file used for creating the ace-palmos.zip [this is standard operating procedure for creating a custom rom]. I ran java T3 from C:\CNG-ROM and my ace-palmos.zip file was created.

I uncompressed ace-palmos.zip and extracted the following files to C:\Versamail:

__MMServers*.cpdb from http://discuss.treocentral.com/showp...4&postcount=68, removing __MMServers_SPCS.cpdb from ROM; * is wildcard.

IIDataLib

MIAttachLib

MIDataLib

IIDataLib_enUS

MiAttachLib_enUS

MIDataLib_enUS
    * Added 02/27/2006, see http://discuss.treocentral.com/showp...9&postcount=70

MMConduit.bprc

MMConduit_enUS.oprc

MMConfigFPI.bprc

MMConfigFPI_enUS.oprc

MMHtmlPlugin.bprc

MMHtmlPlugin_enUS.oprc

MMMailTo.bprc

MMMailTo_enUS.oprc

MMNotify.bprc

MMNotify_enUS.oprc

MMPhotos.bprc

MMPhotos_enUS.oprc

MMPluginMGR.bprc

MMPluginMGR_enUS.oprc

MMPRCPlugin.bprc

MMPRCPlugin_enUS.oprc

MMSDCard.bprc

MMSDCard_enUS.oprc

MMSmartAdd.bprc

MMSmartAdd_enUS.oprc

MMSTransport.prc

MMSTransportLib.bprc

MMSTransportLib_enUS.oprc
    * Not related to Versamail, not needed; post updated 02/26/2006

MMTextPlugin.bprc

MMTextPlugin_enUS.oprc

MMUnzipPlugin.bprc

MMUnzipPlugin_enUS.oprc

MMVCal.bprc

MMVCal_enUS.oprc

MMVCardPlugin.bprc

MMVCardPlugin_enUS.oprc

MMWave.bprc

MMWave_enUS.oprc

MMWizard.bprc

MMWizard_enUS.oprc

MMWordPlugin.bprc

MMWordPlugin_enUS.oprc

MultiMail.bprc

MultiMail_enUS.oprc

As you notice, the file extensions are .oprc and .bprc

I simply renamed the extensions of the files by using the Win32 command-line (cmd.exe) utility and issuing:

C:\>CD C:\Versamail

C:\Versamail>rename *.oprc *.prc

C:\Versamail>rename *.bprc *.prc

C:\Versamail>exit

I then hotsync'd the files over, rebooted, and everything works great including IMAP-SSL.

Launch -> App -> Info -> Version reports 3.1C for Versamail.

I have not yet created a Custom Rom for this but perhaps if demand is high enough I will create/publish a custom ROM which includes the Fat32 FS driver, Versamail 3.1C, and No Real Audio.
    Last edited by cesium1024; 02/28/2006 at 02:18 PM.
    Great job cesium1024! Please keep us all updated on how stable this firmware change is. If you don't mind being a guinea pig, that is. Again, great job!
    Quote Originally Posted by cesium1024
    I have successfully gotten Versamail 3.1C working on my SprintPCS 1.13a Treo, as you recall Sprint users only have 3.0 which is shovelware at it's finest.
    You're a sick man, my old friend. Very sick indeed.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  4.    #4  
    No problem, I suspect we could also run the CNG version of Blazer, or, create a hybrid getting the newest "Fast Blazer" with limited CSS parsing working on Sprint.
    That would be great if there's a way to get Blazer to work on Sprint. I've tried pretty much everything. Even took it from GSM 1.20 update.
  6.    #6  
    I'll work on that now and post the results.
  7.    #7  
    Ok, I've got most of the files I need on SD copied to RAM, I've just now produced the reset-loop that's plagued the success of this WITHOUT having to do a custom ROM. I suspect it's an issue with a certain library mismatch. I will do more testing and post results but this looks somewhat promising and also shows that more testing can be done without having to create custom roms over and over.
  8.    #8  
    Hmm, I suspect it's an issue on-boot [ala the reset-loop]. I've heard it posted before that when the Treo boots Blazer reserves 2MB of DBCache (hence the 2MB download limit) for use. Perhaps the NVFS/Cache changes for Sprint 1.13a are preventing successful cache allocation which results in a reboot.
    If we want to integrate all the Versamail 3.1C files into a custom ROM using the method from Tem's custom ROM for dummies thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=97527

do we still have to change all the extensions for those files to *.prc?
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    If we want to integrate all the Versamail 3.1C files into a custom ROM using the method from Tem's custom ROM for dummies thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=97527

do we still have to change all the extensions for those files to *.prc?
    I wouldn't think so, but I might would try them as PRC anyway.
  11.    #11  
    No luck thus far, even tried hex-editing the Blazer PRC to see if I could adjust the amount of dbcache. I'm no champion at reverse engineering Palm PRC's so it was an unsuccessful stab in the dark.

The fact that the phone enters a reset loop and is stuck even when trying "debug" [Up Arrow] mode seems to indicate that Blazer is attempting to reserve DBCache memory and that routine fails causing the Treo to reboot [rinse/repeat].

I guess if there exists a Sprint Treo 650 emulator with the Blazer Fast Mode we could trap the error and see exactly what is going wrong.

Other than that, I guess bastardizing the Cingular firmware and applying the Sprint-specific CDMA/Radio/Phone stuff on top of their firmware may work but that's not worth it to me for Blazer when I can use Opera/Blazer/Downloader.
    I would LOVE to try this too
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
  13.    #13  
    I slept on it [not the Treo] and I'm going to continue to try to get Blazer FM working on the SPCS Treo. I've just flashed my Treo with a custom rom which contains the following files from the CNG 1.17 ROM:

DynDevInfo.PRC
    HS_HTMLLIB.PRC
    HTTPLIB_Device.PRC
    MVLib.PRC

My phone came up fine after the flash with no resets. I am testing Blazer FM now (just did a restore from BackupBuddyVFS). I am finding I need UDMH to be able to copy the files from SD to RAM using FileZ [hence the restore from backup].
  14.    #14  
    That didn't work, nor did completely removing Blazer and NetLib* from ROM and replacing them with the CNG 1.17 versions.
  15.    #15  
    BWAHAHHA. I offically tanked my Treo pretty bad. Replaced System.bprc and System_enUS.oPRC.

As soon as a turn it on the LCD flashes like crazy [off/on/off/on/off/on every .5 seconds] and that's pretty much it.

Oh well, so much for Blazer fast-mode on a Sprint Treo.

I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to get this thing back to life aside from heading down to Sprint and getting it swapped out.
  16.    #16  
    Guess I'll be giving Grack's tool a good test, don't have my HotSync cable (with push-button) here at work so it looks like wife's going to bring it in for me.

Hope this works
    And you told me that is would hose MY treo!! I hope it works, let me know so we can test some more stuff from my CNG treo...
    Good Luck!
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
  19.    #19  
    Back up and working great thanks to RomTool.
    Glad you're back up and running cesium! That must have been scary! Out of curiosity, did you try your original method with VersaMail 3.1E from the unlocked GSM ROM updater as well?
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast