1.    #1  
    Well, I've been struggling for a while now to get tethered VPN working through my Treo 650 via Cingular's MediaNet plan, since the MediaNet plan is completely VPN unfriendly. It seemed like upgrading or using some sort of funny hardware/software pairing was the only option.

But recently I ran across OpenVPN and after much fudging around, I actually got it to work! It doesn't do all the unnecessarily funny stuff that other VPN protocols do, so with the proper OpenVPN setup, the traffic passes transparently.

Just so you know, this doesn't allow me to VPN directly with my Treo 650...that's a whole other issue. But it does allow me to get work done with my laptop without having to constantly bum for an internet connection...which rocks. I can check my e-mail from anywhere, I don't have to worry about finding a connection, and I don't have to pay 40-60 bucks a month.

If anyone else is in the same boat, I have a blog posting which details slightly more about what I ended up doing to get it working. I figured someone here might be interested.
    Treo 650 with 1 GB SD card!
    http://www.rkuo.com
    Global Posts
    297 Global Posts
    I ready your blog post at http://www.rkuo.com/blogs/rkuo_blog/.../02/23/19.aspx

Could you send me your exact setup instructions for this? I am switching my network from Sonicwall routers to DD-WRT54GL routers with OpenVPN 2.0.7 embedded. I have also started posting on the OpenVPN forum AND the DD-WRT forum but any additional insight you could offer would be most appreciated.

TIA

Quote Originally Posted by rkuo
    Well, I've been struggling for a while now to get tethered VPN working through my Treo 650 via Cingular's MediaNet plan, since the MediaNet plan is completely VPN unfriendly. It seemed like upgrading or using some sort of funny hardware/software pairing was the only option.

But recently I ran across OpenVPN and after much fudging around, I actually got it to work! It doesn't do all the unnecessarily funny stuff that other VPN protocols do, so with the proper OpenVPN setup, the traffic passes transparently.

Just so you know, this doesn't allow me to VPN directly with my Treo 650...that's a whole other issue. But it does allow me to get work done with my laptop without having to constantly bum for an internet connection...which rocks. I can check my e-mail from anywhere, I don't have to worry about finding a connection, and I don't have to pay 40-60 bucks a month.

If anyone else is in the same boat, I have a blog posting which details slightly more about what I ended up doing to get it working. I figured someone here might be interested.