Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I recently took my 650 on a ski trip and found that it shut off everyday due to cold weather. When this happens the 650 is not responsive to any keyboard input, althought the green light still flashes as thought it is on. It ill not receive calls. It is literally FROZEN!! I also confirmed that if I kept it warm with a hand warmer this did not happen. Only way to get it going is to hit the reset button.

This was happening at temps as warm as 33.......... ridiculous!

Anyone ever experience this problem?
    i'm a bicycle messenger in germany, and i make sure that my treo is tucked well near my body under layers of clothing. i have experienced a lot of battery draining due to cold weather with my previous smartphones and then got wiser and do not let expose my treo to temperatures below plus 10 degrees centigrade for longer periods of time. the battery hates cold weather.
  3.    #3  
    This is not a battery issue. After doing a reset the battery still has plenty of juice.

Cingular sent me a refurbished replacement & the new phone exibits the same behavior. The Treo 650 can not be used in cold temps. 35 is not very cold in the Northern hemispere. This is ridiculous!!! What if you have to leave your phone in the car for some reason.

There were friends skiing with me. Every other phone works fine in cold temps. My wifes phone works in sub zero!!!

This is my 3rd Treo, they have too many defects!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by tlowe
    I recently took my 650 on a ski trip and found that it shut off everyday due to cold weather. When this happens the 650 is not responsive to any keyboard input, althought the green light still flashes as thought it is on. It ill not receive calls. It is literally FROZEN!! I also confirmed that if I kept it warm with a hand warmer this did not happen. Only way to get it going is to hit the reset button.

This was happening at temps as warm as 33.......... ridiculous!

Anyone ever experience this problem?
    My ipod does the same.
    Folks,

I find that static in my jacket (during cold weather) often causes the radio side to shut off. Then when you try and turn it back on, is says that there is not enough battery power (but the battery could be full). A soft reset fixes it.

99.999% sure this is caused by static electricity in the pockets. Anyone else notice this?

Glenn
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasanderson
    My ipod does the same.
    So do all 3 of my laptops....when my "car phone" got under 4 pounds, I stopped leaving it in the car
    Last edited by JackNaylorPE; 02/24/2006 at 11:12 PM.
    When the weather goes from warmer to colder my Treo's radio will shut off, especially if I have just from warm inside to cold outside. It will do this for a couple of days then have no problem after that. Once it is acclimatized I can through quite extreme temperature ranges without any problem. After the weather has been warm for a long time it seems to lose its acclimatization and the problem occurs again when it gets cold again.
    Last night I did a little test and put my treo under some laundry to insulate it some and it stayed on all night, whereas if I leave it on my cold wooden desk to charge it locks up, and as soon as I try and turn the screen on again it soft resets itself but the entire time I'm not rec. any calls. It just perfers to be warm and tucked in at night
  9.    #9  
    Just an FYI: the operating temp specs for the Treo 650 are from 32 to 104. I did some more testing myself and was now able operate my unit repeatedly at temps around 26. Not sure why it is operating that low now. One problem is that if you keep your Treo well insulated in a jacket pocket you may be unable to hear the ring tone.

This thread may seem irrelevant to some but for someone who skis & lives in Minnesota it's a big deal. Anyone who has skiied at a large ski area in the Rockies knows that cell phones are used like walky talkies to keep in touch with other skiiers on a mountain where it would be impossible to locate someone without a cell.

Actually I prefer a walky talky.........but that's another thread.

A Treo is not really the best device to carry around when you are outside, doing sports, etc, ........ but I'm not going to have 2 devices.
    That sucks. I live in Hawaii, where the temperature almost never drops below 70 degrees or above 80, so I obviously can't relate. Although I MIGHT be moving to Minnesota soon, so this is some good info.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    I ski with it all the time and have the same problem with the screen going blank. You simply put it in a warmer pocket and it's fine. I use it with the Giro helmet speakers and it works very well.
    Lithium polymers loose an incredible amount of their capacity at cold temperatures. My guess is that it's registering shutoff voltage with a slight load.

Steve
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by eflightcentral
    Lithium polymers loose an incredible amount of their capacity at cold temperatures. My guess is that it's registering shutoff voltage with a slight load.

Steve
    Maybe, but when the unit was restarted it was showing 75% or more battery left. My 3rd Treo seems to be handling the cold better after further testing. First test, shut it down at 33, but now it's been down to 25. So maybe the problem was discreet to one particular unit.
    Just another slice of life in treo-ville. Last night was down in the 20's in NYC and I was outside for about a half hour. When I tried to use my phone I thought that I would need a Jesuit exorcist first! The phone went into a re-set loop with #*377 blaming everything but Osama bin laudin for the reset. Buttons were non-responsive or VERY delayed and screens froze for prolonged periods of time, (me too come to think of it). After about a half hour inside all returned to normal which was good as the no exorcists were making house calls last night. Has anyone with a treo in colder climes than mine had any similar fun experiences? If I had to regularly be outside in similar weather my treo would quickly be non-usable.

Stephan
    Welcome to the wonderful world of electronics.
    <merged>

From Palm support library:

<snip> Your handheld is not waterproof and should not be exposed to rain or moisture. <snip>

<snip> Protect your handheld from temperature extremes. For example, do not leave your handheld on the dashboard of a car on a hot day or on a day when temperatures are below freezing, and keep it away from heaters and other heat sources. Do not store or use your handheld in any location that is extremely dusty, damp, or wet. <snip>
    Last edited by ronbo2000; 03/04/2006 at 02:40 PM.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    maybe palm is planning on global warming fixing the problem
    I recently left my Tungsten T3 (relegated to GPS duty) in my car over a night when it dipped below freezing. I came back and found it stuck in an uninterruptable reset loop. Thankfully, it doesn't have NVFS memory and eventually drained until I could turn it back on an start fresh. In short, electronics generally are not designed for use in extreme environments.

@ShannonElements,
    Take your Treo to the top of Haleakala for a sunrise and then you'll be able to relate.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Even fully charged Li-Ion batteries can't output enough power when cold, but the battery guage isn't smart enough to know this once you warm the unit back up enough to turn it on again.

I usually have to keep my PalmOS handhelds warmed up against my body before using them for astronomy programs on cold nights. Otherwise they might turn on, and then suddenly die (until warmed back up).
    I've had the exact same problem. I called it in and they sent me a new treo. It works fine at the same temps that would freeze my old treo. For example, the new treo doesn't lock up walking from my office to the car with it in my outside pocket when its cold.

/v
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast