Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 24 of 24
  1. #21  
    Treo cozies?
  2.    #22  
    After a bit of real life testing I now have a Treo 650 that can withstand cold temps. It functioned fine at 11 F one time. I guess this problem can be discrete to a particular Treo. My last Treo could not handle cold temps even when it was in a pocket.

    Living in Minnesota it is very common to use a phone in cold environments for various reasons. Many people in the construction trades work outside. (not that they would be likely Treo owners) So this is something that you need to be aware of before you buy a Treo and plan on using it in a cold environment. It may or may not work.
  3. #23  
    Remember that it's the temperature internal to the Li-Ion battery that matters. If the battery starts out warm, it may take awhile outside before the battery gets too cold to push electrons. Using a pocket inside your coat will also add insulation as well as put the phone closer to body heat. A case covering the battery compartment might help keep a Treo operating for a few minutes longer when using it out in the cold.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by logicpaw
    Remember that it's the temperature internal to the Li-Ion battery that matters. If the battery starts out warm, it may take awhile outside before the battery gets too cold to push electrons. Using a pocket inside your coat will also add insulation as well as put the phone closer to body heat. A case covering the battery compartment might help keep a Treo operating for a few minutes longer when using it out in the cold.
    The problem as I experienced it has nothing to do with the battery. Going from warm indoors to cold outdoors the phone radio would shut off within a minute. The battery doesn't cool that quickly. I even had it shut off a few times when moving closer to a cold window.

    Also, despite still being in the cold, in fact colder since I took it out of my pocket to restart the phone radio, once turned back on it would stay on no matter how long I was out in the cold.

    It seems more like the temperature change and not the actual temperature is affecting some individual component or contact.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions