Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by question
    Im using 2.05 right now and just wondering if using the REALVNCoas my server ( with the pc based rendering) will speed up the viewing.
    bump.

WHAT will speed up my viewing, if that's a better question.
    You can solve 99% of the Treo's problems with a hard reset.
    Quote Originally Posted by question
    bump.

WHAT will speed up my viewing, if that's a better question.
    Option 1: Get Windows
    Option 2: Get a 3G Phone
    Option 3: Get a 3G Phone that runs Windows
    Option 4: Try to see if there is a terminal services client for other Operating Systems, like Palm OS, then run a licensing server at your house, as i said before, the VNC client you are using works by sending screenshots back to the client, I cannot see how this can work well without a 3g or wifi phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    Option 4: Try to see if there is a terminal services client for other Operating Systems, like Palm OS, then run a licensing server at your house, as i said before, the VNC client you are using works by sending screenshots back to the client, I cannot see how this can work well without a 3g or wifi phone.
    im looking for better software, or some better server side rendering. I know as a fact it can be a much quicker process because the free 1.4 version is blazing fast with no lag.

"Option 3: Get a 3G Phone that runs Windows"
    HAHAHAH good one.
    You can solve 99% of the Treo's problems with a hard reset.

Blaze,

totally wrong about this. Terminal services may work fine for you, because I bet you are using 3G data. It seems you do not understand that VNC makes use server side scaling, so that 320*320 block you are seeing is the *ONLY* piece of data that's being sent back to your device. TS does not support this, and sends the entire TS session's resolution back to the device which is FAR WORSE for our 650's pipe.

If you are using VNC, make sure you use the UltraVNC supporting 2.0 with server side scaling (here). 2.0 is free also.

Please note that you're never going to get very good speed with the 650, regardless, and that it will always be slow. It's bearable to a point to those of us who need it every once in a while, but a lot of us are waiting for the 700P to help out with that.

Lastly, if you want to try a TS client for palm, check RemotePlus. It's slow, but it's better if you don't use wallpaper, as there's no option to remove it during the session
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster
    Blaze,

totally wrong about this. Terminal services may work fine for you, because I bet you are using 3G data. It seems you do not understand that VNC makes use server side scaling, so that 320*320 block you are seeing is the *ONLY* piece of data that's being sent back to your device.
    Really? It seems like I dont understand that?

It seems to me you are not understanding that terminal services does not work by simply sending back screenshots either 1024x768 or 320x320. As I said, this is how VNC works, not how Terminal Services works and you are right, he can perhaps fild a faster vnc solution, but vnc will always be slow without a 3g phone.

Which brings me back to my original post.

Option 1.) Get windows.
    Option 2.) Get a 3G phone
    Option 3.) Get a 3g Phone with Windows
    Option 4.) Try to get a terminal services client for your 650.
    Are you Surur? Honestly, enough with all the Windows stuff; we are all aware of its advantages and are holding on to Palm OS, most of us, for reasons that are not related to finances.

Also, I didn't mean to imply that TS sends screenshots in the same manner that VNC does, but transmitting a 1024*768 desktop or even a 640*480 in TS's protocol, even with caching which remoteplus supports, is still slower than sending back a single SSEncoded block. I say so, because I've actually tried both methods with my Palm.

..so, to Question: make sure you have the VNC client/server configuration I posted above, that would be my recommendation for the optimal remote control configuration for the 650.
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    I dont know what kind of security this software uses, but assuming its fairly secure. I will bet the user has more mp3s than his treo will hold. That's kind of the idea of accessing the mp3s that live on his pc. A utility designed to keep a folder synced between his pc and his treo wont do him much good if there is a terabyte of media files on his pc, and 2gigs in his treo.
    Yes, FolderShare is primarily designed to 'sync' folders between 2 PC's, but you can also access all the files in those folders through a web interface as well (one file at a time with your treo). Yes, it would be quite silly to sync your entire hard drive to your Treo, sorry I didn't make that clear...

And yes it's 'secure', it's owned by Microsoft
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    There's also myTunesRSS. I'm having a problem getting it to work on pTunes, but on the 700P it will stream to Kinoma if you don't have pTunes Deluxe...
    Twitter: @dvdmon

Im probably going to buy a treo 650 soon, and before i do trying to find a surefire way to do what i want to do with it. This thread is basically it, but i dont really want to select song, upload it, and then download it to treo before i can play it. I was told on another forum that i could possible use VNC to select the song and then stream it with shoutcast, and pick it up on the net. The one reply about putting all your music on an FTP site and then what? i would download it from there to my treo and listen to it? Im going to be having it on tmo so i will have EDGE support. What would be the best way to be out in the world and get an album off my PC and listen to it on my treo using any of these methods? Im not very familar with streaming or FTP or any of this stuff really but im good at figuring out programs that i want to use.
    Well i just tried gloonet.com and its working pretty awsome, although i dont have a treo to test it out on. It downsizes the files to like 156 bytes so i would imagine i could save every song to my treo's memory stick. But it isnt the songs, its just like the url to the song on gloonet. Will that work? That would prevent me from having to upload the song, goto ftp server and download song, because i would be streaming it from gloonet. Ahh but mabye it only sounds good because im on cable, and when i try it on GPRS or EDGE it will barely play? Or will it sound the same as my laptop and desktop?
  11.    #31  
    If you have your own website/webspace... upload your songs there and then stream directly into ptunes?
    Treo 300 (x2), 600 (x3), 650 (x6), 700p (ROM'd to 755p)
    My Custom Black-Tie 700p
    Sprint, 750 AT, Unl N/W @ 7pm, Unl Roaming/Power Vision/Pix/Txt/M2M, $46/mo.
    Lost Your Treo 300/600/650/680/700/750 CD? Download them here.
    Yeah gloonet allows u to do that.... U run program and select your itunes library (.xml file) and tell it to start then login (it is free) and then goto gloonet on any web browser and pick song and plays it over itunes or wmp or ptunes. I'm just not suyre if itl stop to buffer every 10 or so seconds which would kill the program. I think it would only do that if you set the bitrate high, default is like 28 or something really low but sounded pretty good on my laptop. And I think u could be able to save your whole library as like link music files that r only 156 bytes... My whole library would be 5 MB hahahaha. Then you just make sure your connected and logged in and viola pick any song and it'll access it off gloonet and send it back playing =P
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Orb is a quick solution... It allows you to view/stream all media from your PC including pictures, TV, videos and webcams if you have them hooked up... Alll free! 700p or w.
    does streaming video with orb also work with the 650?
  15.    #35  
    Yeah, what does the 700 have that the 650 doesn't?
    My Custom Black-Tie 700p
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theleetbeagle
    Yeah, what does the 700 have that the 650 doesn't?
    A streaming client... the 700p comes with a version of Kinoma that is capable of streaming audio and video formats that Orb supports. No such player exists for the 650. Also, since the 700p has EVDO support, it can stream at a higher bitrate than the 650 could, even if Kinoma were to release a standalone version for the 650.
    Any ideas why I am getting the following error when I run Gloonet on my Treo 700P?

"Invalid HTTP response~Unable to load playlist."

Gloonet loads up in Blazer just fine. I see my songs and my playlists. When I click on a song or playlist, PocketTunes loads... but then it hangs and I get that error message.

Gloonet works on another desktop machine so I know it's settings are correct.

TIA.
    Ah, this thread makes a huge assumption..the end user is running Windows OS. The thread title should specify the solution here require Microsoft Windows...I read through all the posts and could not find anything that works on Linux or Mac.

What a waste of time.

The gloonet site suggests that gloonet is available for Linux on request. Gloonet seems to be written in Java, so there is a good chance it will work on other systems.
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by fortezza
    What a waste of time.
    The waste of time is running something that isn't Windows.

Oh, the flames I'll get for that one.
    My Custom Black-Tie 700p
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12