1.    #1  
    I didn't know where to put this, because this happens once every three weeks or a month, under conditions I'm not able to predict. But my Treo 650 resets unexpectedly and I don't know if it's a hard or soft reset but all settings are gone when restarted.

I don't think this can be fixed, but, is there a way to backup all my settings to get them back instantly? I mean, hour and date format, software registrations, applications settings and a lot of things that I can't be fixing everytime this happens. Some application out there to do the trick? Freeware or shareware, anyway. Just to backup my settings the way they were.

Thanks for the support, and move this thread if needed.
    Here's what I do, with Backupman (software that backs up the treo's memory on a schedule, I do it everynight):

After I lose my preferences, I enter Backupman, select last night's update. Go into the menu, select "Restore Individual Files". It will give you a list, just type 'u' and the first result is "unsaved preferences", checkbox it and hit the restore. Press 's' and you'll likely find "saved preferences", checkbox->restore.
    IMPORTANT Don't do anything Now! Immediately remove the back cap and puncture the reset button or remove->reinsert the battery. This will reset the device and you will be back to normal.

There's probably a better way to handle this, but for now this works for me.
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    Your Saved Preferences file is getting corrupted. You could copy it to a location on SD card using FileZ and copy it back to RAM after such a reset.

Most likely, the file already has some corruption in it and the problem will eventually happen again.

It is better to save all data, especially the PIM data and do a hard reset. That will restore the Treo to it's factory condition.

Then re-install all pllications one by one, testing for a few days to see if the Treo is stable and happy before installing the next application.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Rob of hobbyist software has been playing with a program called PrefDoctor to automatically back up the Saved Preferences. It might be worth a try.

http://www.hobbyistsoftware.com/DownloadPrc.php
    Yea, this happened to me as well...

Your SavedPrefrences.prc is corrupted. Its a pretty easy fix though.

1. Hotsync.
    2. Go into your backup hotsync folder (on your computer) and delete the "SavedPrefrences.prc" file.
    3. Hard reset.
    4. Hotsync again and all your apps/PIM data will be put back on, and a new SavedPrefrences.prc file will be created. After you set your settings the way you want it, it should stay that way, no matter if it resets by itself or soft resets..

That worked for me at least.
  6.    #6  
    Sorry, I hate to look as an ignorant but, how do I hard reset the Treo? The hard reset erase my data? (videos, mp3, documents, etc). This includes the info in my SD card?

Do these solutions restore software registrations as well?
    FWIW, I use Resco BackUp (replacing BackUpMan, which I had used for years), which allows me to create individual "sets". One backup set lives to simply auto-backup my savedprefs file, every 8 hours. Esp nice since a little pop-up appears when the scheduled time is triggered; if I'm in the midst of something, I can delay or cancel on the fly.
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRenegade
    FWIW, I use Resco BackUp (replacing BackUpMan, which I had used for years), which allows me to create individual "sets". One backup set lives to simply auto-backup my savedprefs file, every 8 hours. Esp nice since a little pop-up appears when the scheduled time is triggered; if I'm in the midst of something, I can delay or cancel on the fly.
    Do you really need anything more than a nightly backup of your prefs file? They don't change very often, at least for most ppl who don't install a new piece of software every few hours You could just restore the individual files from your nightlies.
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRenegade
    How do you set this up to backup only the pref files?
    Would something like On Guard work? I haven't tried it, but I know it does real time backups...
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev1000000
    Yea, this happened to me as well...

Your SavedPrefrences.prc is corrupted. Its a pretty easy fix though.

1. Hotsync.
    2. Go into your backup hotsync folder (on your computer) and delete the "SavedPrefrences.prc" file.
    3. Hard reset.
    4. Hotsync again and all your apps/PIM data will be put back on, and a new SavedPrefrences.prc file will be created. After you set your settings the way you want it, it should stay that way, no matter if it resets by itself or soft resets..

That worked for me at least.
    I asked this in another thread, haven't gotten any direct feedback, and thought someone here could help.

Now that I've had to set up a new replacement Treo, I found that not all preferences and registration numbers were saved. Is this because some of them were stored on the SD card using Zlauncher?

Or is it because the Saved Preferences file isn't up-to-date? When I hot sync my Treo, I set the Back Up synchronization to "do nothing" because I found it was creating a very large duplicate contact database file. But I see on my desktop that the date of the Saved Preference file does still get updated.

After I reset all my preferences and registration numbers on the replacement Treo, I did a sync this time sychronizing the back up file and it immediatley wiped out the preferences and registration numbers I had just entered over several hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I obviously need a solution for saving preferences for all apps including those on the SD card and I need to understand how the back up sync function works.

If I have ready access to my desk top, I would think I don't need Resco. But I don't know what to do to ensure that the Saved Preferences file has all the up-to-date settings and registration numbers for the Palm and SD card.

Thanks for getting me out of preference setting hell....

JC
    Quote Originally Posted by jccomo
    I asked this in another thread, haven't gotten any direct feedback, and thought someone here could help.
    JC
    Yesterday I mentioned in that thread a progam to use: PrefDoctor which backs up your Saved Prefs file and uses 'the latest' one. It does all of this in the background without user input (although he's adding a 'force save option' ). The program is free (for now), very stable, works and basically solves this problem so why not just try it?

The manual way is for you just to physically copy the savedpref file over to your SD card and back again when it gets corrupted...but I'm not sure why'd you want to do that.

A nice secondary option is to use Resco Backup and have it update on a regular basis. This too will save all the prefs as well as the entire programs.

Don't both with the Hotsync business as you're creating much more hassel and worse problems.
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta
    Yesterday I mentioned in that thread a progam to use: PrefDoctor which backs up your Saved Prefs file and uses 'the latest' one. It does all of this in the background without user input (although he's adding a 'force save option' ). The program is free (for now), very stable, works and basically solves this problem so why not just try it?

The manual way is for you just to physically copy the savedpref file over to your SD card and back again when it gets corrupted...but I'm not sure why'd you want to do that.

A nice secondary option is to use Resco Backup and have it update on a regular basis. This too will save all the prefs as well as the entire programs.

Don't both with the Hotsync business as you're creating much more hassel and worse problems.
    Thanks Malatesta for your direct response.

I did see your post about PrefDoctor, looked at it on the developer's site, and agree it sounds perfect.

I also searched to see if anyone else had talked about using it and couldn't find any examples. So I wasn't sure how stable it is since the developer's web site says it is a beta version in a "buggy" stage.

Maybe I'll try it on my old Treo before I return it.

Thanks for the suggestion.

JC
    I am using the prefdoc and it's working flawlessly. It's a prettey stable software.
    Treo 90>>>Clie T615>>>ppc viewsonic V36>>>UX50+128MB+TH55>>>SE P900>>>Treo650+256mb+512mbSD>>>Cingular 8525+1gb>>>Current Palm Centro+2gb & AT&T Tilt+2gb
    Quote Originally Posted by jccomo
    Thanks for the suggestion.

JC
    Not a problem! I'm sure it'll work for you...it's in beta but he said he's ready to release it as 1.0 very soon, in fact he was soliciting people for price recommendations on MTN. To be honest, there's really not much to the program so there should be no problem with resets or anyting--you won't even notice it except when it does it's job.

best.
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta
    Not a problem! I'm sure it'll work for you...it's in beta but he said he's ready to release it as 1.0 very soon, in fact he was soliciting people for price recommendations on MTN. To be honest, there's really not much to the program so there should be no problem with resets or anyting--you won't even notice it except when it does it's job.

best.
    Malatesta,

I have loaded PrefDoc. And will need to replace my Treo again for a headjack problem. So I want to be sure that I have set this up correctly. I loaded the program into RAM on my Treo and have done a sync with my lap top.

I don't see where the file is saved on the lap top. When I sync, I don't sync the Back Up files so that means my Saved Preference file hasn't ever been updated.

Should I have the handheld override the desk top and sync the Back Up files or should the PrefDoc file be loaded on the SD card?

Thanks for you help. I really hope to avoid hours of reloading preferences and registration numbers for the new Treo..

JC