Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just curious, I downloaded keycaps yesterday and I wanted to know they setting configuation you all use. Which setting you use for Caps and which one you use for Options. Also what delay time have you found to be the best? Thanks in advance. Just trying to avoid a lot of trial and error.
    My settings are as follows...

Enable on reset: Check
    Disable in phone app: Check

Click: Upper:E
    Timeout: 190ms

Hold: Option:1
    Delay: 240ms

I use the option key more often that i use capitals, so i switched the two. This makes it VERY easy to type any of the option keys. I can type really fast this way
    I am using the following KeyCaps settings -

Click Option: 1
    Timeout 250ms
    Hold Upper: E
    Delay 300ms
    Repeat Rate 10/s
    Repeat Delay 400ms
    I set click to lower e (in effect disabling the double press) and set hold to e -> E -> 1 (so it cycles lower, upper, number as I hold it down). Fewer issues with words w/double characters that way... "been" often comes out b1n otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by robbalazs
    I set click to lower e (in effect disabling the double press) and set hold to e -> E -> 1 (so it cycles lower, upper, number as I hold it down). Fewer issues with words w/double characters that way... "been" often comes out b1n otherwise.
    I use to use the above setting because of been coming out b1n, but the setting i have now have eliminated this problem. i think this set up works best for me.

Click > Option 1
    Timeout > 180ms

Hold > Upper E
    Delay > 300ms

Repeat Rate > 10/s
    Repeat Delay > 300ms
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    I can actually type the fastest with my Treo's keyboard at the default setting, but I like having KeyCaps on my phone anyway because it makes it so that you can backspace and navigate text much faster.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    I can actually type the fastest with my Treo's keyboard at the default setting, but I like having KeyCaps on my phone anyway because it makes it so that you can backspace and navigate text much faster.
    hmm, that doesn't quite work right. another thing I've got to fix.
    Please explain a little

hmm, that doesn't quite work right. another thing I've got to fix.
    -Doomsey
    im lost. is there another feature in keycaps?

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    What doesn't work right?
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Thats what i wanna know

Plus im kinda lost, what do you mean by backspace and navigate text easier.

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    OK Frank. This is what I do:

Just by having KeyCaps on your phone, it speeds up the rate of which you can move through text with the little blinking cursor. Try uninstalling KeyCaps from your phone, then enter a bunch of text somewhere, and hold backspace to delete what you just entered. Note the speed at which the text is deleted. Now reinstall KeyCaps and you'll notice that it's MUCH faster. I was never able to get comfortable with the settings, so I just set it up so that the timeout for double-clicking is 100ms so that it's almost impossible for me to do it, and the hold for option for 500ms. That way neither of them interfere with my normal typing. I just too used to tyrping regularly on the Treo for a year to adjust, and could never find that sweet spot in the settings. But because of the speed of navigating text with the backspace and spacebar keys, and that it's a really small file size, I chose to keep it. Who knows, maybe later on down the road I'l find that sweet spot
    Oh, and by the way, navigating text with the 5-way is also much faster. It's very helpful in composing emails if you decide to delete something halfway up, and then want to get back to where you were quickly without taking the stylus out.
    Man, I was way off. Actually, it's the 'hold' function of KeyCaps that allows you to navigate through text so much faster. In the words of Homer Simpson: D'oh!
    So the lower the delay you have hold set to, the faster you'll be able to navigate text.
    What doesn't work right?
    Ok i think i got it now. i see what you mean and i see what doomsey means (i think)

I have a solution for both of your problems

First Doomsey,

i think he was sayin the Repeat Rate option in KeyCaps didnt work right. ( this option controls the speed of the cursor, and scroll speed. the problem is that once you set it to lets say 14s it doesnt seems to work once you go back to your launcher or memos or where ever. but it does, you just have to set the desired value then type something in the test field, and backspace this seems to make the settings stick. to test change value to 50 then type 111111 in the test field then backspace (note the speed) then set it to 10. this time dont type anything in the test field just go to your launcher or memos and scroll or type then delete something the speed is still fast. now go back in and type 11111 in the test field then backspace to delete. now go back to your launcher or memo and type then backspace to delete, the setting should have now changed.

Now Shannon, if you like fast scroll speeds but dont want KeyCaps to get in your way of typing. just set the Repeat Rate to something comfortable for you ( use the above method to make your settings stick) once you have found that comfortable scroll speed (backspace speed) disable KeyCaps, the setting for the Repeat rate should still work with KeyCaps disabled.

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    yeah, but no matter what I set the repeat rate to(I assume you mean 'delay'?) that seems comfortable at the time, it always ends up interfering in real-world typing. It's like practicing with a pistol at the gun range, and then actually using it in the feild
    yeah, but no matter what I set the repeat rate to(I assume you mean 'delay'?) that seems comfortable at the time, it always ends up interfering in real-world typing. It's like practicing with a pistol at the gun range, and then actually using it in the feild
    No i mean Repeat Rate, it controls your scroll speed. (look in your setting for KeyCaps, do u have this option?)

if you set the repeat rate (using the method i posted) then disable KeyCaps the Repeat Rate sould still stick. So with KeyCaps disabled there is no way it can interfere with typing

What version are you using, Doomseys modified version or the original?

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    I don't have that setting! It doesn't say what version it is in the options menu either. i'm going to look for an update.
    Well, I apparently have the most up-to-date version - at least according to where the about screen directs me. Where might I DL the version you're referring to?
    This Version is modified by Doomsey
    KeyCaps prc

http://shrug.csl.uiuc.edu/~sachs/palm/

http://shrug.csl.uiuc.edu/~sachs/palm/keycaps/README

Note
    It will show as KeyCaps600 but it is for the 650
    Last edited by Franko515; 02/22/2006 at 02:34 PM.

Palm Pre (Sprint)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast