Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1.    #1  
    Anyone have any experience with the Jabra 500 with the Treo 650 (Unlocked GSM)? I like the over the ear and ear gel combo. If the Jabra 250 didn't have pairing and connection issues I would have kept the one I tried.

    I am currently using the Plantronics 510, which I like except for the fact that it is a little big and I can't charge it through USB (very important to me as I travel ALL the time and like to reduce the need for AC charging).

    I have only seen one review that said it was okay, but was wondering if anyone had heard anything else. It doesn't come up on the list of many "What is your favorite BT Headset?" threads, but I am holding out hope.

    TIA for any information.

    Moppet52
  2. #2  
    Funnily enough, I went from Jabra BT500 (and everything else) to the Plantronics 510.

    However unlike you I don't have any issues nor special needs in re: charging so using the 510 is a pleasure.

    Whenever I use my BT500, I like the fact it's light, loud (cos of the in-ear jabra gels), and better looking than the 250. The sound outbound is okay, but it will sound hollow to some people, esp if you have just talked to them using the Treo and the 510. I have tried this. Not a deal breaker but something to note.

    The mike is good enough in the car with the windows up. In a quiet environment, it's great. But in windy conditions though, you will find your outbound sound to be barely audible and accompanied by some hiss. It's not a good choice for windy conditions although you yourself will have no problems hearing your callers.

    Battery life is okay. I get about 2 days with 2 hour use, but YMMV.

    Pairing and re-pairing is easy.

    I would say it's a good second choice when you really can't spare space for the Plantronics charger. Otherwise, save your money.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by zahar1775
    Funnily enough, I went from Jabra BT500 (and everything else) to the Plantronics 510.

    However unlike you I don't have any issues nor special needs in re: charging so using the 510 is a pleasure.

    Whenever I use my BT500, I like the fact it's light, loud (cos of the in-ear jabra gels), and better looking than the 250. The sound outbound is okay, but it will sound hollow to some people, esp if you have just talked to them using the Treo and the 510. I have tried this. Not a deal breaker but something to note.

    The mike is good enough in the car with the windows up. In a quiet environment, it's great. But in windy conditions though, you will find your outbound sound to be barely audible and accompanied by some hiss. It's not a good choice for windy conditions although you yourself will have no problems hearing your callers.

    Battery life is okay. I get about 2 days with 2 hour use, but YMMV.

    Pairing and re-pairing is easy.

    I would say it's a good second choice when you really can't spare space for the Plantronics charger. Otherwise, save your money.
    Hmmm... Thanks for the review. Dang! I was hoping that the windy environment thing would be better. The 510 for me picks up all the wind noise to the point that AC in a car sounds like I'm in a wind tunnel to some people. Can't seem to find a BT headset that really can fix this problem...

    I might give the 500 a try if i can find some place to honor a return. I don't like the TC Store's policy of exchanges only.

    Moppet52
  4. #4  
    I use the 500 with my Sprint Treo and it's great. I can hear clearly and I have not had anyone tell me they are having trouble hearing me. But, I will say that I have not been outside much when using it.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by moppet52
    Hmmm... Thanks for the review. Dang! I was hoping that the windy environment thing would be better. The 510 for me picks up all the wind noise to the point that AC in a car sounds like I'm in a wind tunnel to some people. Can't seem to find a BT headset that really can fix this problem...

    I might give the 500 a try if i can find some place to honor a return. I don't like the TC Store's policy of exchanges only.

    Moppet52
    You should use the windsock. It really does a good job cutting down on the wind noise for the Plantronics 510. OTOH, it does make the unit look uglier! LOL
  6. #6  
    i have the 250 and i know someone that just got the 500 for the treo 650.

    the first chance i get, i'll buy the 500. i noticed that with my BT250, i need to press the button on the headset first to establish connection then start dialing... but on the BT500, i can just start dialing and when it starts ringing, it will transfer it to the headset automatically.

    Quote Originally Posted by moppet52
    Anyone have any experience with the Jabra 500 with the Treo 650 (Unlocked GSM)? I like the over the ear and ear gel combo. If the Jabra 250 didn't have pairing and connection issues I would have kept the one I tried.

    I am currently using the Plantronics 510, which I like except for the fact that it is a little big and I can't charge it through USB (very important to me as I travel ALL the time and like to reduce the need for AC charging).

    I have only seen one review that said it was okay, but was wondering if anyone had heard anything else. It doesn't come up on the list of many "What is your favorite BT Headset?" threads, but I am holding out hope.

    TIA for any information.

    Moppet52
  7. #7  
    I have had two BT500s and both suffer from the same problem: after a few weeks they stop taking a charge. The symptoms have been the same with both: the unit gets completely discharged and won't power up. When I go to charge the unit (with either the wall adapter or the USB adapter) the charge light comes on but flickers randomly and eventually dims out - rather than staying on constantly until the charge is complete. Leaving the unit charging overnight has no effect, it won't take a charge.

    After the first unit had this problem I contacted Jabra's support line and they immediately offered an RMA and I had a new unit within a week. The replacement unit is now exhibiting the same problem and I've given up. I'll call Jabra for a refund and I'm looking at the Moto H605 - if anyone can tell me whether or not it can autolink with the Treo (which other Motos don't seem to be able to do).
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59
    I use the 500 with my Sprint Treo and it's great. I can hear clearly and I have not had anyone tell me they are having trouble hearing me. But, I will say that I have not been outside much when using it.

    ^ I wish I had your luck. I also have a Sprint Treo 650 and a Jabra BT500 and have a lot of issues with crackling and static. I wear the treo and bt500 on the same side of my body and have tried re-pairing the two but nothing seems to get rid of the static. I've also had complaints from callers saying they could barely hear me. Results seem to be the same whether in the office, car, or outside.

    Let me know if you have any tips to resolve this issue as I think the bt500 is very comfortable.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by greenergrad
    I have had two BT500s and both suffer from the same problem: after a few weeks they stop taking a charge. The symptoms have been the same with both: the unit gets completely discharged and won't power up. When I go to charge the unit (with either the wall adapter or the USB adapter) the charge light comes on but flickers randomly and eventually dims out - rather than staying on constantly until the charge is complete. Leaving the unit charging overnight has no effect, it won't take a charge.

    After the first unit had this problem I contacted Jabra's support line and they immediately offered an RMA and I had a new unit within a week. The replacement unit is now exhibiting the same problem and I've given up. I'll call Jabra for a refund and I'm looking at the Moto H605 - if anyone can tell me whether or not it can autolink with the Treo (which other Motos don't seem to be able to do).
    I have now had the same problem as you have described. On the first one, I was able to return it to Best Buy. I can't find my receipt for the second one, so, I'll have to try to exchange it anyway. I really like the way it works and feels with my Treo, but if it won't take a charge after a short while, I guess it is not worth it.

Posting Permissions