1.    #1  
    Greetings , everyone.
    I keep getting "the port is in use by another application" error message when I do hotsync via BT. I used to do hotsync via BT successfully at beginning, and started to get this err msg from end of last year, really frustrated!!

I had ever searched this forum and got a walk around solution last year, it did work for me but I forget the details of the solution now(How stupid am I!) I searched this forum these days but can not find the post anymore.

Could anyone pls. give the detail of the walk around solution or the link of that post, very much appreciated!! Only thing I can remember is that to manualy referesh some setting in the Bluetooth setup panel in XP.

Very much appreciated!!

BTW: its Treo 650+Windows XP
    Treo650/Nickon D70s/Thinkpad/Bora, Integrated Life.
    Sorry don't have a ref to that post. But this error message appears when the com port on Win XP is used by another app. or is not reachable. So check the following on windows (XP is all I know)
    - Check whether the com port is set in the Win palm sync app: right click sync icon in tray/setup/local
    - Check whether local is checked to use for sync: right click sync icon/local
    - Check whther the bluetooth com port for the palm sync is connected. This check depends on the BT hardware/software, there should be a way to define the com port.

May be even before that:
    - Divorce and pair the BT connection: Delete on the Treo the XP trusted device BT device: Bluetooth/setup devices/trusted devices/select 'PC'/details/delete .
    Pair it agian by add device.
    Last edited by Dick99999; 02/21/2006 at 02:17 AM.
    I also get that message when I unplug my USB bluetooth adapter, so it could be that the bluetooth on the PC just isn't working for some reason.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
  4.    #4  
    Thank you very much for reply, **** and Tony...

I did all the check(local checked in the hotsync, and com9, the BT com port is also set in the hotsync setup panel) , and repair Treo and winXP, but I'm still getting the same error message.. I know the BT adaptor is working because it blinks when I initiate hotsync from treo , and then I get the error message. "the port is in use by another application". also I tried disable and re-enable the BT com port, still same.

Is there any way to find out which application is the "another application " in the message, or how to get any further detail of the err msg?

I see a lot of people here getting this error , but there is still no good fix, beside the walk around solution which I forgot...... sigh...
    uninstall all paired devices from your computer, remove and uninstall the dongle and everything to do with bluetooth, reinstall the dongle and pair your treo anew with your desktop computer and see if the problem is solved. i had the same issue and managed to solve it doing the above
    Did you try changing the port used in the HotSync manager? I had the same problem once before, and that worked for me.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Quote Originally Posted by ilvnet
    .....Is there any way to find out which application is the "another application " in the message, or how to get any further detail of the err msg?......
    Yes there is .... sometimes, and only if you are experienced in working with regedit. If you have no experience don't try it! It could damage your win xp and even the ability to boot. Reinstalling BT as suggested by Jinx, is probably the best way for these problems. In my case (Plugfree on a Fujitsu 6120) that resolved a similar issue but reinstall did not release com port 5-12. It did find new com ports 13-20. Probably because a previous install did not complete or was damaged.
    So finding out what is 'using' the com port: start regedit, search for comX for example com6, repeat search for next occurrences and try to interpret what you see. If you have no experience dont try it! I am not aware of a tool that does this for you and in a safe way.
  8.    #8  
    thanks to all and I finnaly get it work by unstalling all bluttooth sw and reinstall...
    just curious why is this , a bug of windows or BT SW?
    I think it's XP and bluetooth.

I have the same problem and have not been able to resolve it at all. I completely removed (even manually cleaned out the registry) and reinstalled BT on my laptop. Hard reset my treo, re-paired the two. Hotsynch ALWAYS gives me that error. I spent a whole weekend trying to figure it out, and nada. I even bought a new dongle and had the same issue. I installed my original dongle on another computer and synched immediately with no error. It worked on my laptop for like 6 months without a problem, until about a month ago.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Same here, I cannot get my BT to work either. I have built in BT so there is no dongle to unplug.

How do you uninstall from the computer? I know how to remove the devices from the Treo in BT.

Thanks
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
  11.    #11  
    In my case, I removed the BT SW in control panel(add/remove program)and reinstall it. and it starts to roll. Dont try to unstall BT in device manager, I tried but not work. hope this helps for you.

BTW, I use a Ambicom BT dongle.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilvnet
    In my case, I removed the BT SW in control panel(add/remove program)and reinstall it. and it starts to roll. Dont try to unstall BT in device manager, I tried but not work. hope this helps for you.

BTW, I use a Ambicom BT dongle.
    No, that did not work for me. I tried numerous times, and like I said, even manually removed EVERYTHING from the registry. I can get them to pair, just cannot hotsynch. I really don't need to be able to, but it was a nice option when I didn't feel like looking for my cable.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Yay!

I finally got my Treo 650 setup properly and I am now able to BT with my BT XP laptop. I would have never had gotten it to work without the encouragement and resolve found in this group.

I can't wait to use it with PDAnet on our next vacation without the trouble of the cable.

Thanks TC.
    Last edited by GeekyMom; 03/06/2006 at 05:16 PM.

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo
    ...I completely removed (even manually cleaned out the registry) and reinstalled BT on my laptop. Hard reset my treo, re-paired the two. Hotsynch ALWAYS gives me that error. I spent a whole weekend trying to figure it out, and nada. ......
    I installed a few BT dongles on XP. If I remember rightly, the Sitecom BT dongle required me to connect with the supplied XP utility before I could do a BT Hotsync on the Palm.
    My current Fujitsi embedded BT/plugfree utility is just the opposite. If I connect first on XP, and then initiate a BT hotsync on the Treo, I get the error "unable to initiate Hotsync..... because the port isd in use". By connect I don't mean pairing, but a 'connect' through the XP utility supplied with the dongle.
    If I don't do a manual XP-connect, I can do a BT Hotsync on the Treo, that hotsync and the Plugfree utility autocnnects incoming XP requests. I also remember I had to disable some services on XP, that is Bluetooth profiles because the hotsync was routed to a non-serial service, and hotsync could not utilize that service. It may help, however, you did try a lot already.

If you don't pair first, do you get the right pairing request when initiating a BT hotsync on the Palm?
    I'm having the same error message "Used by other device..." but My phone connects fine with my PC, i'm even able to transfer files, pictures, videos with no problems using bluetooth. It just wont sync. Is my situation different? or is the same

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by piroulli
    I'm having the same error message "Used by other device..." but My phone connects fine with my PC, i'm even able to transfer files, pictures, videos with no problems using bluetooth. It just wont sync. Is my situation different? or is the same

Thanks
    If you click on the Hotsync Manager icon in your computer tray, Select Custom, under "Quick Install" do you have "Syncronize the files" checked?

This Bluetooth stuff is interesting. Friday I stopped at CompUSA and purchased their Bluetooth dongle (the one with the antenna) and installed it. Five hours later, I had gotten only to having the laptop and the Treo recognize each other. I took it back yesterday and purchased the Kensington dongle (Bluetooth 2.0), installed it and in an hour had it working for syncs, file transfers and surfing. Ben