1.    #1  
    is there a limit on the memory size of the expansion card I can use with the Treo 650? I want to use the treo as a MP3 player instead of buying an ipod. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycazn1020
    is there a limit on the memory size of the expansion card I can use with the Treo 650?
    Treo 650 comes with a FAT16 file system driver (2MB Max), but you can search around (hint: http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=106598) and find a FAT32 driver that is said to work (4GB+).

I tried using PocketTunes as a stand-in for a plain-old iPod, but ended up buying an iPod anyway. The cabling, software decoding, touch-screen or hacked-button interface, and general hijacking of my smartphone wasn't worth the hassle to me.

There's something to be said for NOT converging some things.....
    Last edited by Joad; 02/21/2006 at 12:10 AM.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad
    Treo 650 comes with a FAT16 file system driver (2MB Max), but you can search around and find the FAT32 driver hacked from the Lifedrive that supposedly supports 4GB+ cards on the 650.

I tried using PocketTunes as a stand-in for a plain-old iPod, but ended up buying an iPod anyway. The cabling, software decoding, touch-screen or hacked-button interface, and general hijacking of my smartphone wasn't worth the hassle to me.

There's something to be said for NOT converging some things.....
    The FAT16 driver in the Treo650 supports 2GB SD cards. To use the FAT32 driver, you have to create a custom ROM.
    Yeah, 2 GIGS, NOT two MBs...

Personally, 2 gigs is more than enough for me. I have like 30 albums on my Treo right now, along with four full-length movies, and a big majority of my apps saved to the card, and still have room to spare. If you just want music on your Treo and have a 2 gig card, you're good to go. There's even an iPod skin you can use with pTunes. Just make sure to get a good set of 2-in-1 headphones.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Oh, and I didn't even mention the fact that with pTunes you can stream internet radio...

Can you do that with an iPod? Erm...NO.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Why carry two things? Treo goes with me everywhere, my MP3 player doesn't. But I have an older creative zen 2.0. Love that 60gb portable hardrive. And with the new hacked rom, which is a piece of cake to update, you can use a 4gb SD. It does work, like a charm with the transcend 4gb cards.
    I'm new to this discussion. I made the mistake of buying a 4 gb sd card off ebay. I can't return it. My treo 650 sees it as a 2 gb card. Does the FAT32 driver upgrade work? I downloaded the instructions and kind of worried it will mess up my treo. Did anybody try it yet?
    cwtibbs,
    did you save the downloaded file to a directory diffrent than the treo's in your c drive?