1.    #1  
    When I first got my 650 I noticed that a four full bars of indicated signal mostly gives acceptable service. As soon as it drops to three bars, the service starts to noticeably degrade and with two bars it is not possible to successfully carry on a call.

I installed an excellent app by Shadowmite called Signal Meter 1.0. It gives an RSSI value that seems to range from a low of 6 to a max of 30 or so. Four full bars seems to correspond to an RSSI of approximately 11 or 12.

It seems to me the signal strength meter would be more useful if it could be recalibrated so an unusable signal (RSSI <12) would indicate one bar, a minimum usable signal (RSSI > 12) would indicate two bars, a 100% reliable signal (RSSI > 16) would indicate three bars, and a very strong signal (RSSI >20) would indicate full scale of four bars.

Actually, it would be even more useful if the bars could be abandoned for a numerical RSSI value.

I assume this cannot be done since I have never seen anything about this but I have to ask. Is there any way to recalibrate or change the function of the signal strength meter?
  2. tmt
    Quote Originally Posted by RhoXS
    Actually, it would be even more useful if the bars could be abandoned for a numerical RSSI value.
    I recommend you check out my freeware app KeyguardTime+, available at mytreo.net: http://mytreo.net/downloads/details-...?KeyguardTime+

Enjoy!
  3.    #3  
    Tom, thanks for the suggestion. I did check out the link you offered. Your app certainly has many useful features. Can it be configured to only replace the bars with a numerical indicator?

Thanks again for the help.
  4. tmt
    No, it always shows both bars and numeric RSSI. I thought the numeric value was the information you wanted...

BTW on my 650 and the Cingular GSM network, I get usable call quality from perhaps 6 and up, and I have kept a call at 4 though it is choppy.
    Where can i get signal meter?
    I have always felt that these carriers could 'fluff' the Bars to give the impression of good signal.
    Who decides what 2 bars is?
    2 bars on one phone could actaully be better than 3 bars on another.
    Just call me Berd.
    Someone suggested that that is what Cingular did when it started it's "raising the bar" ad campaign.

Don't know if it's true but it would be a LOT cheaper than putting up new towers or upgrading existing towers.

Things that make you go HMMMM!!
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
    Hey rhoxs where can i get signal meter?

Paul