Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Here is a list of RomUpdaterApp.prc's and the ROM partition sizes they create. For custom ROMs it is better to have one just larger than the ROM you are loading. As I get more I will update this post.

1.20 APR 9.8MB
    1.06 ROW 8.4MB
    1.13 ROW 8.4MB
    1.20 ENA/LAP 8.4MB
    1.04 Verizon 8.4MB
    1.17 CNB/CNG 7.1MB
    1.13 Sprint 7.1MB

attached is a zip with all sizes above.

To create an SD updater to change your partition size here's the info:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=323
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jamesgangut; 03/22/2006 at 03:05 PM.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Thank you James.
    So, the end of all matters is to go w/ the smallest Hardcoded Partition Rom available. In our case (GSM) would be to go w/ CNG/CNB.
    Strip all we want out (VersaM, Real, and So on) add nothing back in, except what's absolutly needed (Fast Mode Blazer).
    Correct?
    And what about firmware?
    Just call me Berd.
    man!!!! I was so needing this information about 2 hours ago. Didn't have the time to research it.... (lazy)

Thanks!!! I will give a new ROM update a shot
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle
    So, the end of all matters is to go w/ the smallest Hardcoded Partition Rom available. In our case (GSM) would be to go w/ CNG/CNB.
    Strip all we want out (VersaM, Real, and So on) add nothing back in, except what's absolutly needed (Fast Mode Blazer).
    Correct?
    And what about firmware?
    Yes, it also does not appear that these are GSM/CDMA specific. Firmware yes, rom updater no.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

And what about firmware?
    Firmware is completely independant of ROM version (but not radio technology). No matter what you've heard in the past, you can keep your phone's ROM at one version and your firmware at another, as long as you put GSM firmware on a GSM device and CDMA firmware on a CDMA device.

Basically, firmware is hidden behind the GSM AT-command set running on an entirely separate ARM processor core (in fact, I just looked at mine earlier today). PalmOS doesn't make any calls into the firmware and it doesn't make any calls into PalmOS. In fact, you could even brag to all your friends that your Treo is actually a dual-processor-core device (though most phones are these days ).
    I'm sorry another question.
    nonobeeze talks about Rom needing to be repartioned.
    How is the best way to Update, to get the best fw, smallest Rom,
    and insure the Rom gets properly re-partioned.
    Just call me Berd.
    I owe you so much thanks.

I'll continue and try to help w/ the Questions that come in.

Still all the knowledge gets shared here is amazing.
    Just call me Berd.
  9.    #9  
    I'm sorry another question.
    nonobeeze talks about Rom needing to be repartioned.
    How is the best way to Update, to get the best fw, smallest Rom,
    and insure the Rom gets properly re-partioned.
    I use the ROM & PALM folders SD method(rev cvt2/ace). Just use the right romupdater in the palm\launcher folder.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut
    I use the ROM & PALM folders SD method(rev cvt2/ace). Just use the right romupdater in the palm\launcher folder.

What are the function of the other files in the ROM directory?

what else do we have to look out for to get the right tokens and whatever else. Not too important but it is nice to show at least the correct ROM type and revision.

Also, wht about bootloader? I think this also gets updated in some ROM update proceedures.

And thanks to all for the HELP!!! I will try to document everything...
    That's how I have always done it.
    Maybe I misunderstood him.
    Could you take a look at the thread I started some time back called "An Easy Way to Update a Rom", And tell me what in my instructions might cause a failure, if any.
    Thanks.
    Just call me Berd.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by nonobeez

what else do we have to look out for to get the right tokens and whatever else. Not too important but it is nice to show at least the correct ROM type and revision.

Also, wht about bootloader? I think this also gets updated in some ROM update proceedures.

I always recommend running the Palm updater first. That way tokens, firmware, bootloader etc are updated. then you can just change the ROM.

I always recommend running the Palm updater first. That way tokens, firmware, bootloader etc are updated. then you can just change the ROM.

Sounds good!!! So nothing in the ROM folder will change it? We just need to have a ROM smaller that the partition. I think if the rom is larger it will give an error message. The key is to not reset, just exit the update utility. A reset will brick the Treo... which is now recoverable.

Thanks again fo the Info!!!
    One set are the firmware updater files, the other set are the incremental loader files (initial, secondary & tertiary loaders) to boot Garnet.
    Quote Originally Posted by CraniumFunk
    One set are the firmware updater files, the other set are the incremental loader files (initial, secondary & tertiary loaders) to boot Garnet.
    Firmware is not needed right? Using the rev cvt2, Ace method?

What else do we have to look out for to get the right tokens and whatever else. Not too important but it is nice to show at least the correct ROM type and revision.

nono, in just the short time I have been here @ T/C .
    I have gathered you are one of the more knowledgable ones posting here @T/C.
    So I really want to get to the bottom of how the best way to go is. Whether it was shadowmite who originally got us going the Custom route or not, I some how went the direction I went based on his instructions.
    So now we have this new Rom Tool.
    What or how do you run your treo. I gathered you do Customs.
    So how do you do an Update so you get the fw you want, the Rom you want, and the Rom partition at the correct size in relation to your Custom (files you take out or put in) How when an update comes out do get from whatever fw/sw your running to the Latest fw/sw and do it the 'Proper' way w/ a Custom Rom.
    I know you have said the SD method, so every time you make an update to a Rom you run the whole update via SD method?
    If you don't 'rev cvt2' then what do you do?
    Thanks
    Because, all I'm trying to figure out, is the best way for one to do an Update.
    Also, Thanks for your patience.
    Just call me Berd.
    So after we do an Official Update.
    We take a same version custom, strip it, (add nothing back in) replace the existing romupdaterapp.prc w/ the smallest romupdaterapp.prc we can find that is still larger than our custom, and then what?
    rev cvt2.
    Just call me Berd.
    nono, in just the short time I have been here @ T/C .
    I have gathered you are one of the more knowledgable ones posting here @T/C.
    So I really want to get to the bottom of how the best way to go is. Whether it was shadowmite who originally got us going the Custom route or not, I some how went the direction I went based on his instructions.
    So now we have this new Rom Tool.
    What or how do you run your treo. I gathered you do Customs.
    So how do you do an Update so you get the fw you want, the Rom you want, and the Rom partition at the correct size in relation to your Custom (files you take out or put in) How when an update comes out do get from whatever fw/sw your running to the Latest fw/sw and do it the 'Proper' way w/ a Custom Rom.
    I know you have said the SD method, so every time you make an update to a Rom you run the whole update via SD method?
    If you don't 'rev cvt2' then what do you do?
    Thanks
    Because, all I'm trying to figure out, is the best way for one to do an Update.
    Also, Thanks for your patience.

I am not an expert any way you lok at it but thanks!!

I always updated via the SD card methods, where you just pick the update profile, which is usually one. I would just modify the ROM.

I bricked some using the rev cvt2 method, but because I reset after an error.

Of course after you have the correct tokens, firmware, etc... the rev cvt 2 is the way to go.

But now you do that with the correct ROMupdater file to give you the correct partition size, then you can use MMastrac's tool.

Sound good?
    Firmware is not needed right? Using the rev cvt2, Ace method?
    Using the rev cvt2 method, in PALM/Launcher folder, you can strip AAA Checkers & all firmware files. Be sure to leave the following (1.20 s/w); CAPNoResetUpdateLib.prc, CapPackage.zip.pdb, all DeviceCustomizerApp files, ENAUpdateWizard.pdb, Inventory.pdb, PackageVersion.txt.pdb, ResourceSize.txt.pdb & RomUpdater.prc (which ever fits your partition).

In ROM folder, need all 16 files.
    Updating using rev cvt2 method & DeviceCustomizer folder method using SD achieve the same thing. The only difference is the DeviceCustomizer method automates the whole process with Firmware update first, then ROM update.

Rev cvt2 allow you to choose if you wanna update firmware only, ROM only, or both. Since firmware takes much longer, rev cvt2 is preferred when only updating ROM.
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast