Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789
Results 161 to 178 of 178
  1. #161  
    Quote Originally Posted by robinsc View Post
    Hi James
    One more question
    Is there any way to change partition sizes to be 6 mb... my rom is now under 6 mb but I still have to use the 7.1 partition.... Has anyone managed to crack the partition format in the rom uploader ?
    Same as mine.
    I want it too.
    Can anyone show the way??
    Thanks in advance...
  2. #162  
    Folks, I need help with a somewhat gnarly problem. I'm running version 1.20 ROW with CJKOS installed in the ROM but messages sent to my phone in chinese still show up as ???. I've tried everything else and nothing has worked so my list ditch idea is to migrate from 1.20 ROW to 1.20 APR which has inbuilt chinese support.

    Since I'm VERY NEW to all this, here are a couple of questions:
    1. Can this be done?
    2. If yes, then how? If someone can lay out or point me to a step by step guide that would be great. Thanks,

    sinabhai
  3. #163  
    Quote Originally Posted by skillllllz View Post

    http://www.quartus.net/products/rsrcedit/


    Experiment with rsrcedit and you will find what you seek.
    I need to customise my 650 exactly the way you did your except that I want to add into ROM:keyboard lightoff, crash pro, butler 4.0, ps memo, power up, card export2, uninstall manager, volume care, resco explorer, zlauncher 5.43, zl_vista_os5. Give me a step by step guide from your experience, Thanks
  4. #164  
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut View Post
    No one has cracked it. All we have done is exchange the different versions back & forth. the 7.1 came on the cing rom. if palm ever had one smaller we could use it but they are the ones that have created it.
    CNG have 3 different versions on their website? If I want to do this to an unbranded GSM phone (location Australia) any idea which of their versions would be best?
    Given that the wisdom seems to be it is best to leave as much as possible out of rom, wouldn't it be best to put the biggest partition size in and then empty it (assuming you are not trying to make space on the phone)?
    The phone I am trying to do this to, became VERY unstable after the 1.20 update. To be more specific, Treo650-1.20-LAP and it is ONLY the phone that started crashing for no reason in the middle of calls. #*377 crshlog always IDs the phone app. So i'm thinking the phone firmware in 1.20-LAP is a problem for this hardware (hardware a) and that maybe I need to try a different updater? ROW or whatever. Any thoughts while I try to sort out this reset loop I currently have it in......
  5. #165  
    Hmm here is what I think happened. The phone was purchased in Singapore. Then updated (via SD card as the owner was a mac user) with an australian rom. I think this may have caused a hardware conflict with the phone update. Now what to do?
  6. #166  
    Folks,

    I hate to sound so stupid, there must be something simple I am missing.

    I am on a unbranded/unlocked palm 650 with 8.4 paritition.

    I unzipped Jamesgangut's 7.1 rom onto SD, copied the ace-palmos.zip and ace-palmos.zip.md5 into the ROM directory of the SD. The PalmOS.Zip and md5 were created by RomTool v1.0.

    I ran the RomUpdaterApp, it starts and sitting on a page saying "ROM image directory found on card, installing from there" Nothing else happens after 5+ minutes. Machine is not hung, I can press HOME key and go run something else like MemInfo. A reboot still tells me I am at 8.4 partition size.

    To see if my aceplamos/md5 were not good, I tried replacing my aceplamos/md5 with the pair from Row 1.06 SD updater, same result.

    What am I doing wrong? I must be missing something simple.

    Thanks
  7.    #167  
    Quote Originally Posted by CL Lo View Post
    Folks,

    I hate to sound so stupid, there must be something simple I am missing.

    I am on a unbranded/unlocked palm 650 with 8.4 paritition.

    I unzipped Jamesgangut's 7.1 rom onto SD, copied the ace-palmos.zip and ace-palmos.zip.md5 into the ROM directory of the SD. The PalmOS.Zip and md5 were created by RomTool v1.0.

    I ran the RomUpdaterApp, it starts and sitting on a page saying "ROM image directory found on card, installing from there" Nothing else happens after 5+ minutes. Machine is not hung, I can press HOME key and go run something else like MemInfo. A reboot still tells me I am at 8.4 partition size.

    To see if my aceplamos/md5 were not good, I tried replacing my aceplamos/md5 with the pair from Row 1.06 SD updater, same result.

    What am I doing wrong? I must be missing something simple.

    Thanks
    Did you type the commands?
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

  8. #168  
    Thanks, Jamesgangut.

    Like a dummy, I sat there and wait not knowing I need to type a command.

    I enter ? and it lists the three commands I can use. Typing in Ace did it.

    Thanks again.

    Glad I got this resolved before all the knowledgeable folks like yourself disappear into the newer 700/750 forums.
  9.    #169  
    Quote Originally Posted by CL Lo View Post

    Glad I got this resolved before all the knowledgeable folks like yourself disappear into the newer 700/750 forums.
    680 for me
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

  10. #170  


    I have been reading all of your great stuff out there regarding customizing roms, pros/cons, etc., and have waited becuase i was hoping for a good mac version of the rom tool. I did download shadowmite's tool, but i am trying to look at this from all of the angles first before trying it or using the rom toll on my win xp at the office.

    Here are my questions:

    1) If the cingular 1.17 is smaller partition than the 1.2 en, what would be a reason for me to want to change the firmware/tokens when i use my cingular service. Is there a good reason I guess to change or would it be better for me to just get out the tutorial, get good and xpressmail junk and realplayer from the rom (I use mocean - and it's cool
    )?

    2) This has me really confused. I think I am reading, whether on the older methods, but also on the latest tool that i need to update my rom. I believe my 650 has the latest firmware updater from palm for cingular they did a couple of years ago, so i am trying to figure out where to start from there.

    3) Finally, I was thinking a few months ago when I was really inquiring about doing this, that there were several sets of custom roms out there to try that just removed a couple of files for different carriers, etc. is there any sort of library or collection of links out there for these? I have found a couple of links in the posts, but not to the extent I remember. I want to do this, cause i was really doing good with memory, and then the dbcache just recently will go down to less than a meg and i cant do squat. I thought of getting rid of versamail, but i didnt know if my agendus mail uses any of the same files, so i need to check into that.

    Any help, answers to these questions would be appreciated.

    P.S. Do you have to use the SD card if you are using shadowmite's mac tool? I had read once that a mac java version was coming out for the new tool, but couldn't find it.


    Thanks a lot and I love this site. I also learn so much.

    I run a treo 650 w/ a 1g card cingular 1.17-cng software, 01.51 firmware.
  11. #171  
    I have been playing around with a spare 650 that had some sort of glitch in the phone where it kept crashing on receiving calls, and I have somehow managed to delete all the tokens? How do you add them back?
  12. #172  
    heh... seems i'm a little slow to join this game... :P

    anyone still out there reading this thread?

    i'm in vancouver, canada with telus mobility (cdma). i've just learned how to make a custom rom and i've been removing/adding programs to rom... now, i want to try doing the rom update to make it a smaller size. according to mmastrac's romtool, my treo seems to allow about a 10meg rom. :O i was hoping to use one of the ones posted by jamesgangut to drop the size down to 7.1meg, but i'm not sure what i've done wrong.

    i followed the instructions on creating an sd updater, and when i go to type "rev cvt2" i get an error about the revision not recognized (sorry, don't remember the exact message), and then it tries to give me other options.

    a few things i noticed/tried:

    - in the romupdater screen, it tells me it's already at sw cvt2
    - all my files (from the updater) are named "Treo650-*" instead of ace-*
    - all my files also have a .pdb at the end; so, i added .pdb to the zip and md5 created by the romtool
    - with Treo650-* files, the "other options" given is blank
    - i re-ran the romupdater after changing all my files to be "ace-*" and then the updater gives me "other options" with stuff like ipl-CVT1, ipl-CVT2, etc.
    - when i type "Treo650" i get command not found
    - when i type "ace" it tells me my rom files are bad format or corrupted


    has anyone seen anything similar, or tried a rom update in similar circumstances?

    tia!
  13. #173  
    Quote Originally Posted by gho_treo View Post
    i was hoping to use one of the ones posted by jamesgangut to drop the size down to 7.1meg, but i'm not sure what i've done wrong.
    ...so you have already carefully read this... http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=107666
    Quote Originally Posted by gho_treo View Post
    i followed the instructions on creating an sd updater, and when i go to type "rev cvt2" i get an error about the revision
    Uhm... sorry but I think you didn't read it carefully if you have your files named differently!
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=323 here you'll find the exact files you need and where to put them!
    Good luck!
    Btw, it seems really hard the first time...
    Ciao,
    Giangi
  14. #174  
    Quote Originally Posted by Giangi View Post
    Uhm... sorry but I think you didn't read it carefully if you have your files named differently!


    Good luck!
    Btw, it seems really hard the first time...
    ok, smarty, i'll admit -- maybe i didn't read all 9 pages of the thread that carefully.

    would you care to explain to me which exact part i might have missed/misread?

    the one line from the instructions i'm not sure about is this:

    "use the T3.jar file from Shadowmite to get the files from Palm updater base you are using."

    how exactly do i "use the T3.jar file"?

    i'd run the (T3.jar) file, and it creates an empty zip file...
  15. #175  
    Together with the T3.jar you should have found a "readme" too... I'll cut&pate here with a few comments from me!

    ---8<---
    First off, I have adapted Dr. Wowe's code to convert the files Palm releases into a base rom image:
    To use it first off you need to have Sun Java installed on your machine.
    To use the source you need the SDK also.
    Furthermore you will need your CLASSPATH env variable setup properly.

    1. Start to install the rom update from palm, get to the point of hotsync'ing.
    2. Goto your harddrive, programs files, palmone, username, install folder and grab all the files and copy them elsewhere

    2a by Giangi, with update v1.20 files are into the Palm folder root! I.E. on my pc was "C:\Palm\Treo 650 Update"

    3. Cancel the update, it'll try to delete those files, luckily you already got them!
    4. Drop all those files and the Java tool in a folder together
    5. Drop to a command prompt, and enter: javac T3.java (this will compile the source, skip it if you got the class)

    5a by Giangi, of course you have to CDing into the folder where you put the files!

    6. Enter: java T3
    7. Provided you have the java enviroment setup properly, and palm hasn't changed anything,
    the tool will create all the files you want in that same folder.
    All the .prc's should go in to a folder called Palm/launcher.
    All the others should go into a folder called rom.
    You can delete the original files, they aren't needed. Enjoy!

    As of this point you should now have the base rom image which can be edited by the custom rom tool, and applied via the instructions for the Palm ROM Update tool.
    ---8<---

    Now just save the needed files...

    Btw, I did it a long time ago... I may not remember everthing! I have an european unlocked Treo650 so I'm not sure if I can simply share the needed files with you... but if you search in this group all messages from jamesgangut you should find the files ready to be downloaded!
    Ciao,
    Giangi
  16. #176  
    Quote Originally Posted by Giangi View Post
    Together with the T3.jar you should have found a "readme" too... I'll cut&pate here with a few comments from me!

    ---8<---
    First off, I have adapted Dr. Wowe's code to convert the files Palm releases into a base rom image:
    To use it first off you need to have Sun Java installed on your machine.
    To use the source you need the SDK also.
    Furthermore you will need your CLASSPATH env variable setup properly.
    ok, i'm not sure if i have to do anything special for the CLASSPATH env variable... i know i didn't set any of that, or get the SDK...



    Quote Originally Posted by Giangi View Post
    1. Start to install the rom update from palm, get to the point of hotsync'ing.
    2. Goto your harddrive, programs files, palmone, username, install folder and grab all the files and copy them elsewhere

    2a by Giangi, with update v1.20 files are into the Palm folder root! I.E. on my pc was "C:\Palm\Treo 650 Update"

    3. Cancel the update, it'll try to delete those files, luckily you already got them!
    yup, did all that -- that's where i got my "Treo650-*" files from... and i checked that the folder and files all disappeared after i cancelled the update.


    Quote Originally Posted by Giangi View Post
    4. Drop all those files and the Java tool in a folder together
    5. Drop to a command prompt, and enter: javac T3.java (this will compile the source, skip it if you got the class)

    5a by Giangi, of course you have to CDing into the folder where you put the files!

    6. Enter: java T3
    7. Provided you have the java enviroment setup properly, and palm hasn't changed anything,
    the tool will create all the files you want in that same folder.
    All the .prc's should go in to a folder called Palm/launcher.
    All the others should go into a folder called rom.
    You can delete the original files, they aren't needed. Enjoy!
    ok, i didn't do the java T3 part... i'll try that tonight (when i get home)...



    Quote Originally Posted by Giangi View Post
    As of this point you should now have the base rom image which can be edited by the custom rom tool, and applied via the instructions for the Palm ROM Update tool.
    ---8<---

    Now just save the needed files...

    Btw, I did it a long time ago... I may not remember everthing! I have an european unlocked Treo650 so I'm not sure if I can simply share the needed files with you... but if you search in this group all messages from jamesgangut you should find the files ready to be downloaded!
    yeah, i'm not totally sure which files i can copy/share either, because it seems most people have a gsm phone, while mine is cdma. i know that the fw and rom are independent, so strictly rom-only files *can* be shared... i just don't know which files those are (aside from the romupdater app)...

    thanks for your help! grazie!
  17. #177  
    Quote Originally Posted by gho_treo View Post
    ok, i'm not sure if i have to do anything special for the CLASSPATH env variable... i know i didn't set any of that, or get the SDK...
    If you have the t3.class file you do not need to compile the java source... SDK is needed only for that! For the ENV var I do not remember...

    Quote Originally Posted by gho_treo View Post
    ok, i didn't do the java T3 part... i'll try that tonight (when i get home)...
    Have a look at the source... I'm not a java expert but it will convert the treo* files to ace*

    Quote Originally Posted by gho_treo View Post
    thanks for your help! grazie!
    ...you're welcome! (Prego, in italian )
    Ciao,
    Giangi
  18. #178  
    Quote Originally Posted by Giangi View Post
    If you have the t3.class file you do not need to compile the java source... SDK is needed only for that! For the ENV var I do not remember...


    Have a look at the source... I'm not a java expert but it will convert the treo* files to ace*


    ...you're welcome! (Prego, in italian )
    heh heh! got it! yup, i *was* missing/misunderstanding that whole t3.jar stuff... it seems the *.jar is an executable, so i didn't even need to worry about compiling anything...

    now i've just completed the rom resizing, and so far (just after re-sync'ing), nothing's crashed... i'll try out a few more things, then get back to the rom modding...

    thanks again for the support and pointers! and if mmastrac and jamesgangut (and others who've paved the way) are still reading this, a great big THANK YOU! for all the work you've put into this! i can't even begin to imagine the countless hours spent trying and re-trying all this and then writing the tools and instructions for the rest of us...
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789

Posting Permissions