Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 178
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut
    You will have a usable "RAM" increase. As mmastrac says the Treo "lies" about RAM it is really NVFS that is increased.
    Thanks
    Just call me Berd.
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle
    I'm sorry, I got 2 hours of sleep last night messin w/ My Treo.

    #1. What was your question "anything for Cing users"?

    #2. Have not resolved my question as asked above: (quoted below)
    "I still wonder if I use the 7.1 RomUpdaterApp.prc w/ a 6mb Rom.
    What is the advantage over a 8.1 RomUpdaterApp.prc w/ a 7mb Rom.
    I still have 1.1 for DBcache"

    #3. Somewhere here in this flooded forum James has a few stripped CNG/CNB
    (normally I would go and find them for you and provide a Link, But I am running out of fuel)
    The answer to #2 is that you'll obviously have 1MB more RAM if you use the 7.1 romupdated with a 6mb ROM as compared to the 8.1/7mb.

    Now, could you do us a favor and not ask the same question over and over in the same thread? Sorry, but it was getting old.
  3. #43  
    Just a quick mention,
    I went back and deleted all my repeated questions.
    I apologize for the irritation.
    But, does this mess-up the Post #s?
    What if someone has a Link to a Post #, and I delete one of my posts?
    Does their Link still work when it now has a new number?
    Sorry about doing this on your thread James.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 02/22/2006 at 04:41 PM.
    Just call me Berd.
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle
    Just a quick mention,
    I went back and deleted all my repeated questions.
    I apologize for the irritation.
    But, does this mess-up the Post #s?
    What if someone has a Link to a Post #, and I delete one of my posts?
    Does their Link still work when it now has a new number?
    Sorry about doing this on your thread James.
    My only complaint is that you bothered to answer 200 man... just let him be.

    Keep up the good work!!!!
    .
    .
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
  5.    #45  
    bump, as per a request
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

  6. #46  
    James and Cranium and anyone else that knows .....


    having read this thread ... along with the grack info pages, i think that i'm starting to get confused

    as i hate being confused ..... can i pls clarify my interpretation of all this talk about partition size to check my understanding with all the experts .....

    1. we generally make a custom rom to chuck out the stuff we don't want ... and to put in the stuff we do want .... plus to increase the speed of access of our individual "most used appps" .... and the ease of recovery and restoration of these apps after a crash (ie because if they are in ROM they will still be on the Treo rather than "lost" or "wiped out" like the rest of the stuff in RAM )

    2. now we have learnt that we can also use a custom ROM to increase "stability" of the treo by maximizing it's DBCache ...... essentially this is done by using the smallest sized (amount) of ROM that we can -- this maximizes dbcache -- ..... -- but within that "smallest size" ... we "fill it up" .... because the "unfilled" part of the ROM is wasted .....

    however ..... the ROM's only come in certain sizes or "standard chunks" ...... and that certain size or "standard chunk" is dictated by the ROMUpdaterApp prc that is used .....

    as stated by the OP (james) ...

    Here is a list of RomUpdaterApp.prc's and the ROM partition sizes they create. For custom ROMs it is better to have one just larger than the ROM you are loading. As I get more I will update this post.

    1.20 APR 9.8MB
    1.20 ENA/LAP 8.4MB
    1.17 CNB/CNG 7.1MB
    1.13 Sprint 7.1MB
    so how do i interprete this ....

    as i am in australia ... and therefore gsm lap ... if i use the 1.20 lap i will have a rom of approx 8.4MB ( and therefore about 23.6 RAM) ..... so when i make my custom ROM i can throw out all the "approved to throw out" stuff that i don't want ...and add in all the "approved to work in ROM " stuff that i do want .... but may as well use the full 8.4 MB of ROM ... ie make my acepalmos zip about 8MB

    or i could also .....

    use another GSM ROMUpdaterApp prc such as the 1.17 CNB/CNG 7.1MB ... using this one i could only "fill up my custom ROM" to about 6.8 MB, so less stuff in ROM .... but would increase the amount of dbcache and therefore my treo's stability more that using the 1.20 lap ....

    using the 1.20 lap but only filling it to 6.8 would have "wasted" approx 1.6 MB of my custom ROM ... which would be approx 1.6MB of space or memory just sitting there doing nothing but getting bored with all the zero's floating around it ....

    in my example ... i can only use another gsm RomUpdaterApp.prc's .... i can't use a cdma or whatever it's called ..... cause my treo was born as a gsm treo - and that can't be changed without some extensive surgery of bits and pieces inside the treo


    and even tho' the 1.17 CNB/CNG 7.1MB ROM is not as up to date or current as the 1.20 lap ...

    all that will work ...

    because it's not really the 1.17 CNB/CNG 7.1MB ROM that we are using ... just the part that tells the treo how big a chunk to allocate as ROM? .... my ROM itself will still be made using my 1.20 LAP


    hence really ... in terms of max efficiency and stability it would be best for all gsm users (whatever world region that they live in and whatever carrier they use ) to use the 1.17 CNB/CNG 7.1MB GSM ROMUpdaterApp prc when doing a custom ROM and keeping the ROM 7.0MB or a little less)



    is my interpretation of all this correct? .. just a bit correct? ... or totally upside down ? (hey... i'm an aussie after all


    with apologies to the 2000man and anyone else that finds all of this totally obvious

    regards to all
    aussietanker
    Last edited by aussietanker; 02/24/2006 at 08:39 AM.
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by aussietanker
    James and Cranium and anyone else that knows .....


    having read this thread ... along with the grack info pages, i think that i'm starting to get confused

    as i hate being confused ..... can i pls clarify my interpretation of all this talk about partition size to check my understanding with all the experts .....

    ...clip...


    with apologies to the 2000man and anyone else that finds all of this totally obvious

    regards to all
    aussietanker
    I think some Clarification is desparatly needed.
    Your above questions are all excelent.
    Some progress is being made over here on size:
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=107543
    To Trim-it Or Stuff-it?
    Just call me Berd.
  8. #48  
    I am new to this discussion, and wish to update my Treo 650 Unlocked GSM to 1.20-ENA (have a mac, so can't go the Palm-sanctioned route). Could someone point me to a set of instructions for using either the SD method and/or the rev cvt2 method, from scratch? Thanks.
  9.    #49  
    www.shadowmite.com

    However the rev cvt2 updated rom only. You will need to do an automated style SD update to change the software token.

    If it were me I would use an automated ROM update first. Then use the other for customizing.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

  10. #50  
    James,


    sorry for my stupid question (maybe I've missed something) but.. I've used your custom 1.20ENA fully stripped ROM with FAT32, sms bug fixed etc. which has only one folder PALM that has to be in the root of the SD card. So when I put the card in my TREO the update starts automatic without waiting for rev cvt2 or ace commands and as I can say after 2 weeks of use everything is perfect... Did I do something wrong? And in case if I want to optimize my memory did I have to leave the ROM at 5.8MB size and use 7.1 CNG updater file? So if this is correct I guess I have to replace the original prc in \PALM\DeviceCustomiser\TREO650.ENA folder of your custom rom with 7.1CNG file?
    THANKS!
  11.    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by Koleto
    James,


    sorry for my stupid question (maybe I've missed something) but.. I've used your custom 1.20ENA fully stripped ROM with FAT32, sms bug fixed etc. which has only one folder PALM that has to be in the root of the SD card. So when I put the card in my TREO the update starts automatic without waiting for rev cvt2 or ace commands and as I can say after 2 weeks of use everything is perfect... Did I do something wrong? And in case if I want to optimize my memory did I have to leave the ROM at 5.8MB size and use 7.1 CNG updater file? So if this is correct I guess I have to replace the original prc in \PALM\DeviceCustomiser\TREO650.ENA folder of your custom rom with 7.1CNG file?
    THANKS!
    You didn't do anything wrong. There are two ways for flashing the ROM you used the automated.

    Yes if you replace the romupdater app and rerun it you will get a smaller ROM partition and larger NVFS partition so more dbcache.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

  12. #52  
    Thank you James,

    Perfect answer as always. You guys are GREAT !
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut
    www.shadowmite.com

    However the rev cvt2 updated rom only. You will need to do an automated style SD update to change the software token.

    If it were me I would use an automated ROM update first. Then use the other for customizing.
    Thanks for the quick response. I'm happy to do just the automated ROM update (sounds safer, and I don't need any customization). I checked the instructions, and in step 3 it says:

    "Copy the 'palm' and 'rom' folders inside the zip file onto the root directory of your card"

    I have downloaded an Archive folder with various romupdater.prc files, but there are no folders named "palm" or "rom." Should I create these and put the .prc files in them? If so, which and where? If not, where do I find the referenced folders.

    Also, the instructions go on to suggest that I will need to do the "rev cvt2" business. Can that be avoided?

    Sorry to be so uniformed, but most grateful for your help.
  14.    #54  
    That archive is only to allow you to change a ROM pertition size. These are not ROM's. There are other links for them. What type Treo do you have?
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut
    That archive is only to allow you to change a ROM pertition size. These are not ROM's. There are other links for them. What type Treo do you have?
    GSM Unlocked (used with T-mobile).
  16.    #56  
    Look for a thread 1.20 OUT NOW. There is a link in the seconf thread. I am on my Treo now so getting a link is a pain.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

  17. #57  
    Here it is:
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showp...&postcount=564
    Let me know if that isn't the one you mean, and I can repost.
  18. #58  
    Thanks folks... looks like the right one. Will give it a shot.
  19.    #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by jules3
    Here it is:
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showp...&postcount=564
    Let me know if that isn't the one you mean, and I can repost.
    Thanks!
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

  20. #60  
    Hi James...

    Another issue... I've just updated my TREO with 7.1 ROM updater file... Just to get 1.2 MB more free NVFS... But now in Phone Info / More CC-Cap line is empty... I am using your custom #1 1.20 ENA ROM with fat32 stripped of everything.. I'm almost sure that with it's original 8.4 ENA rom updater prc file that line was not empty... Is there something to worry about it? Thanks again !
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions