1.    #1  
    Hello all. I just received my new Treo 650 (Cingular/GSM) and have been impressed with how much better it seems than my old 600 model. One issue I've noticed, however, is that the backlight will turn on at random intervals (no incoming call, alarm, etc.). This is not good, as it causes my battery to drain more quickly.

I've tried turning off Bluetooth, shutting down any network related apps, and just leaving the phone active... but it still happens. It seems not to happen if the phone service is turned off.

Has anyone else observed this behavior? Does anybody have any ideas as to why this happens?

Thanks in advance!

-- Drew
    So you're saying that the screen turns on then? AND the keyboard backlight?
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
  3.    #3  
    Yes. The phone behaves exactly as it would if I pressed the power button (on the far right). Keyboard and screen turn on and the keygaurd is activated.
    That is weird. Every now and then(once a month maybe) my Treo will do something similar, but upon closer inspection it's always a data connection or something that I had set at varying intervals that's the catalyst. How often does this happen per day?
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
  5.    #5  
    When I'm driving home from work at night it happens 4 or 5 times (in a 45 minute commute). Maybe it's the vibration of the dashboard? Or perhaps it happens when the phone loses its wireless signal and then picks it back up again?

I don't notice that it happens very often at work or at home. I'll have to pay more attention to that...
    Ahhhh, OK. I think I know why it's happening. When it happens do you happen to transferring from an area where you're covered by your service provider to roaming? That's an unresolved issue right now, is that the Treo's backlight will come on when transferring from in and out of service areas and into roaming. One thing you might try is to set your phone up so that it makes a distinct tone when entering roaming, and then see if the backlight comes on around or at the same time you hear it.
    Same problem. At my folks' house where VZW coverage is kinda bad, my phone randomly wakes.
    AHA, I was just having this problem at my parents' house this weekend, where my coverage is kinda weak. I guess that makes sense, though it's happened before at my house only once, where my coverage also isn't great. Hmm. Any other reasons why this happens?
    This has been a particular problem for me here in Western Washington where Sprint service is not the greatest. It happens during commutes on the ferry and usually leads me to shut the phone off to save power if I am unable to plug into power.

One other interesting quirk that my phone does when it drops service is to do a soft reset, follow by another soft reset to service off.

Regards,

Jim
    I've found that doing a soft reset usually keeps it from happening for another day, but lately this happens EVERY DAY, usually in the morning. what gives?
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    I mistakenly started a similar post today. Sorry, forgot about that search.

Every evening, at about 10:15 pm my treo does the same thing. Backlight, screen, keyguard. Except it doesn't shut off very quickly, and the other day, drained nearly the entire battery.
    Visit My Blog

My website -- EsquireTech Solutions
    I think this might be because you have a calendar event that occurs on a cycle and that calendar event is scheduled in January - like an January birthday, perhaps? There are many threads on this - my phone used to wake repeatedly. THen I deleted all annual events and it has since stopped completely. Used to drive me nuts.
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    This is more of a recent event for me. Maybe the last few weeks only.
    Visit My Blog

My website -- EsquireTech Solutions
    for me it didn't happen for months until the last few weeks, when it's happened almost daily. it's so weird.
    for anyone interested, my problem was an old version of 4cast with auto update turned on. I realized that might be the problem when I noticed this was happening every 12 hours, which was what i had 4cast set to. disabled auto update, and no more random turnons. woohoo!

i wonder if a newer version of 4cast will fix it?
    I also notice this happening when running RealPlayer. Even if I switch to another app, if I turn the screen off it comes on for a second about once a minute as long as RP is still running in the background...
    My girlfriends phone does this. It can just be sitting at idle in the house, and light up as if someone hit the power button, or she has an incoming call/text message. Weird.