1.    #1  
    I have a need to transmit the status of a simple on/off switch signal in my car to my 650. I do not need long range, 100 to 500 ft is sufficient. Upon closure of this switch, I'd like an alarm to sound on my 650 so that I can immediately attend to the condition of the car.

Bluetooth seems ideal for the task. Has anyone done anything like this and can lead me to sources of info to buy/ build a bluetooth tramsmitter that will accomplish this? TIA
    BT will give you about 30ft range. Maybe if you can tell us exactly what it is you are trying to achieve someone can help you.
  3.    #3  
    I recall reading about people getting 1000 feet with the D-Link Bluetooth usb adapter. ver 1.2?

OK one more try: I need to be able to have an alarm to sound on my 650 when a simple switch changes from the off (open) state to the on (closed) state. I do not need to transmit back to the car. It is one way, car transmit, treo receive. The range I need is 100 to 200 feet. 1000 ft is nice but not absolutely required.
    fine a cheap phone and rig it up so it sends a SMS. Not sure how butyou should look into it.

I fire up a computer server via SMS, that is easy.
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
  5.    #5  
    Wouldn't that cheap phone need a monthly plan of it's own? If so, it's not practical.

Quote Originally Posted by nonobeez
    fine a cheap phone and rig it up so it sends a SMS. Not sure how butyou should look into it.

Mabye use a pay-as-you-go phone? $7/month + whatever a text message costs once in a while.
    I use an international prepaid SIM. For the longest time I was sending free SMS messages, but now it only receives. I can even send a SMS via the web.

Prepaid would be the way to go, with some plan that does not charge a monthly fee.

Care to drop a hint on firing up a server via sms?

Jeff
    How about a pair of GRMS radios, with your in-car switch hooked up to the "call" button of one.

Then duct tape the other GRMS radio to your Treo, and voila!

Treo 650 - Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Firmware:01.71
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffro7
    Care to drop a hint on firing up a server via sms?

Jeff

wired an electrical relay on the vibe circuit of my old Nokia 8290 (i also soldered an external antenna)

The relay triggers the on/off switch by closing the circuit.

I have the BIOS setup to where the on/off switch only shuts off after 4 seconds, so an incoming SMS will not shut the server down.

I use zoneedit to set my private URL to my dynamic IP and then I can find my server.

To shut down, I use Salling clicker via the "wifi" option. I use it primarly to stream music and select songs and playlists from my treo.
    wired an electrical relay on the vibe circuit of my old Nokia 8290 (i also soldered an external antenna)

The relay triggers the on/off switch by closing the circuit.

I have the BIOS setup to where the on/off switch only shuts off after 4 seconds, so an incoming SMS will not shut the server down.

I use zoneedit to set my private URL to my dynamic IP and then I can find my server.

To shut down, I use Salling clicker via the "wifi" option. I use it primarly to stream music and select songs and playlists from my treo.

Slick! I've been using the magic packet to do WOL but I don't like keeping my server as a DMZ and I haven't figured out how to route the packet to my server machine yet.
  12.    #12  
    I use an international prepaid SIM. For the longest time I was sending free SMS messages, but now it only receives. I can even send a SMS via the web.

Prepaid would be the way to go, with some plan that does not charge a monthly fee.
    How much is a prepaid phone typically? Cheaper the better. The next question is how do I rig the phone so that when the switch close, an SMS is sent.

I still like the bluetooth idea better since I only need a 200 to 400 ft range.

I've got a question. If I just power up a USB bluetooth adapter (not plugged into a USB port of a computer), will it be discoverable?
    No, you need the software for it to be discoverable.
  14.    #14  
    That's too bad. Is it possible to rig a standalone USB bluetooth adapter so that it is discoverable upon applying power to it? If so I'm home free. Where's Shadowmite? HELP!!!