Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 601
  1. #161  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle
    OK, I get to the Upload Rom part,
    and the Tool says I have 1.5mb of 'Wasted Space'
    Am I supposed to get this 'Wasted Space' down to as little as possible?
    mmastrac mentioned in an earlier post that he is working on adding a feature to change the ROM partition size. Once he has added this feature all your questions about wasted space and dbcache become irrelevant, you will be able to make the ROM partition fit your own personal custom ROM no matte what size it is. I have somewhat the same questions as you but once I saw that he will add that feature I decided to just wait patiently, well sort of patiently, until it arrives.
  2.    #162  
    Quote Originally Posted by jgm
    mmastrac mentioned in an earlier post that he is working on adding a feature to change the ROM partition size. Once he has added this feature all your questions about wasted space and dbcache become irrelevant, you will be able to make the ROM partition fit your own personal custom ROM no matte what size it is. I have somewhat the same questions as you but once I saw that he will add that feature I decided to just wait patiently, well sort of patiently, until it arrives.
    Don't hold your breath for this one. Changing the ROM partition size is a pretty tricky operation. I might just hack the RomUpdaterApp to create a couple of permutations of various ROM partition sizes because of the difficulty of the operation.

    If I can get my JTAG connection working, I'll certainly be able to play with this much more, however - it's just that the potential for disaster during development is much higher.
  3. MashBill's Avatar
    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    #163  
    I can't seem to get it to work with my Verizon 650. Device status says "Found phone, waiting for bootloader"

    The bootloader screen never shows the grack image. It just sits there.
  4.    #164  
    Quote Originally Posted by MashBill
    I can't seem to get it to work with my Verizon 650. Device status says "Found phone, waiting for bootloader"

    The bootloader screen never shows the grack image. It just sits there.
    #1 thing to check is if your USB connection is tight and secure. Make sure you aren't connecting through a USB hub.

    If you are sure your connection is okay, please send the "bootloader log" from the debugger tab to matthew - at - mastracci - dot - com and i'll take a look.
  5. #165  
    Quote Originally Posted by mmastrac
    Could you save your ROM dump as a file and upload it to ftp://u35479509-treo:treotreo@ftp.grack.com/ ?

    I'll take a look and see.

    BTW, are you using 0.9.4 or 0.9.5 of the tool?
    Thanks, I'll do it as soon as I get home! I was using 0.9.4 last night.
    Last edited by Nanook; 02/23/2006 at 06:46 PM.
  6. #166  
    Quote Originally Posted by jgm
    mmastrac mentioned in an earlier post that he is working on adding a feature to change the ROM partition size. Once he has added this feature all your questions about wasted space and dbcache become irrelevant, you will be able to make the ROM partition fit your own personal custom ROM no matte what size it is. I have somewhat the same questions as you but once I saw that he will add that feature I decided to just wait patiently, well sort of patiently, until it arrives.
    I guess I will try and wait patiently also.
    But as far as becoming irrelevant I don't agree. I know I'm picking at words, but I know this is not as simple as changing my partition to fit my Custom Rom. Because then again, why would I put anything in Rom. Just use the smaller partition. Or put a whole bunch of stuff in Rom, and adjust the size of partition. Let's use Snapper Mail for an example, A lot of people strip out Versa and put in Snapper. But where do I put it, Rom or Ram? I know the answers are coming. But I have got people posting over at 'What Apps Work in Rom' should I tell them to fill up Rom to fit Partition? Or leave the So-Called wasted space?
    The question that will continue to remain relevant is Do We Make the Rom and Partition equally as small as possible, effectivly putting nothing in Rom.
    Even now as people including myself are using this Tool, we need to know if anything, other than what needs to be, should go in Rom.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 02/23/2006 at 06:05 PM.
    Just call me Berd.
  7. #167  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle
    I guess I will try and wait patiently also.
    But as far as becoming irrelevant I don't agree. I know I'm picking at words, but I know this is not as simple as changing my partition to fit my Custom Rom. Because then again, why would I put anything in Rom. Just use the smaller partition. Or put a whole bunch of stuff in Rom, and adjust the size of partition. Let's use Snapper Mail for an example, A lot of people strip out Versa and put in Snapper. But where do I put it, Rom or Ram? I know the answers are coming. But I have got people posting over at 'What Apps Work in Rom' should I tell them to fill up Rom to fit Partition? Or leave the So-Called wasted space?
    The question that will continue to remain relevant is Do We Make the Rom and Partition equally as small as possible, effectivly putting nothing in Rom.
    Even now as people including myself are using this Tool, we need to know if anything, other than what needs to be, should go in Rom.
    Use the smallest Rom partition you can and fill it up, as close as you can.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

  8. #168  
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut
    Use the smallest Rom partition you can and fill it up, as close as you can.
    Thank You!
    Just call me Berd.
  9. #169  
    Quote Originally Posted by mmastrac
    Also, before customizing your first ROMs, you might want to check out my previous
    article on ROM size and how stuffing everything into your ROM might not always
    be the best idea:

    http://www.grack.com/blog/articles/2...e-and-rom-size

    "Recommendations
    Based on the given data, it is recommended to make your ROM as small as possible to increase your DBCache as much as possible.

    Adding files to the ROM is effectively akin to locking them into DBCache using a program such as Resco Locker.

    If you can, strip out any non-essential Palm applications from your ROM and run them from RAM, if possible.

    Once you have stripped your ROM, ensure that you are using a ROM updater that gives you the smallest possible ROM partition that still fits the size of your ROM."
  10. #170  
    How do I get a smaller ROM partition?
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

    NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

    Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
  11. #171  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
    How do I get a smaller ROM partition?
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=107666
  12. #172  
    2000 man, I want to quote u;
    Thank you also, This is why I keep askiing the same stupid question.
    I have tried different wording and I guess, each time it Has been mis-understood, That's the part matt says that I thought I understood.
    And yet I hear conflicting answers. (Stuff Rom, No Trim Rom)
    But it goes deeper than that.

    And so, My repeated attempts to have a CONFIRMED Well explained answer.
    whether we wait for this Tool to be complete or Not.

    That is why I retaliated yesterday, and I apologize.
    Just call me Berd.
  13. #173  
    berdinkerdickle, sorry, earlier I chose my words poorly and shouldn't really have used "irrelevant" in that context without further elaboration. I meant it would be irrelevant only from a practical standpoint.

    I am like you and want to understand things as well as use them and I have been waiting for some clear answers too so didn't mind your repeated questions. I sense the problem may be that even the experts are not completely clear on exactly how memory is managed on the Treo. I don't think they have access to the code that does that and so are going only by what they can see and that is sometimes confusing. I have seen results myself that don't quite make sense and are certainly not consistent.

    So, good luck finding the answers because I will be one of the first reading your post when you finally have it all figured out.
  14. #174  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle
    2000 man, I want to quote u;
    Thank you also, This is why I keep askiing the same stupid question.
    I have tried different wording and I guess, each time it Has been mis-understood, That's the part matt says that I thought I understood.
    And yet I hear conflicting answers. (Stuff Rom, No Trim Rom)
    But it goes deeper than that.

    And so, My repeated attempts to have a CONFIRMED Well explained answer.
    whether we wait for this Tool to be complete or Not.

    That is why I retaliated yesterday, and I apologize.
    That's fine, I understand.

    If you go by what mmastrac says, he's very clear about it. James is giving conflicting information so I see where you're getting confused.

    I've got plenty of RAM left (over 11MB) so I used the smallest ROM partition available to me and left my custom ROM a bit short. That gives me a larger dbcache and I still have lots of RAM available.
  15. #175  
    Eureka! I tried 0.9.4 with the same error messages, then I decided to give 0.9.5 a whirl before I bugged you again, and it worked perfectly!

    So much to delete...

    Thanks!
  16. #176  
    What does 0.9.5 do differently than 0.9.4? There are no release notes on it on the web page.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

    NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

    Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
  17.    #177  
    The only real big change in 0.9.5 was an improvement for some people that couldn't download ROM zips correctly. Little behind on updating the website.
  18. #178  
    Quote Originally Posted by mmastrac
    The only real big change in 0.9.5 was an improvement for some people that couldn't download ROM zips correctly. Little behind on updating the website.
    Thanks again!
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
  19. #179  
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut
    Use the smallest Rom partition you can and fill it up, as close as you can.
    I was a little vague here let me explain, and made an assumtion that what was going in ROM would be locked into dbcache. My Bad. Myself this is what I am doing. My stripped ROM is ~5.9, I have about 1MB of apps that either A) are set by themselves to be locked into dbcache, or B) I was locking via Rlock. Those programs (that work) from ROM that would have been locked anyway I put into ROM. Therefore filling the space in the ROM partition.

    By using the smaller ROM partition the NVFS partition is larger. The dbcache is larger. In effect the way I am doing it would allow for more apps to be locked if needed because Rlock does have a limit. I hope this is a better explaination.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

  20. #180  
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut
    I was a little vague here let me explain, and made an assumtion that what was going in ROM would be locked into dbcache. My Bad. Myself this is what I am doing. My stripped ROM is ~5.9, I have about 1MB of apps that either A) are set by themselves to be locked into dbcache, or B) I was locking via Rlock. Those programs (that work) from ROM that would have been locked anyway I put into ROM. Therefore filling the space in the ROM partition.

    By using the smaller ROM partition the NVFS partition is larger. The dbcache is larger. In effect the way I am doing it would allow for more apps to be locked if needed because Rlock does have a limit. I hope this is a better explaination.
    I thought that the "wasted space" in Rom was our DB Cache.
    (More space in Rom More DB Cache.)
    So If I have a 7.1 RomUpAp, and My Rom size is 7.1 where does the DB Cache come from?
    Just call me Berd.
Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions