Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by resturg
    I have not got good results in getting into the boot loader by first resetting then pressing the HotSync; I guess I am all thumbs. When I click the HotSync it stated the windows HotSync Manager program. I was experimenting and at the time the excellent document StepbyStep RomTool by jamesgangut was not available for the Beta software.

Another observation was you can get into the boot loader either before or after starting the RomTool.
    Should press and hold the hotsync button then reset.
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgm
    Should press and hold the hotsync button then reset.
    If that is the case then StepbyStep RomTool by jamesgangut first page point 7 needs to be changed.
    If that is the case then StepbyStep RomTool by jamesgangut first page point 7 needs to be changed.
    It will work ok that way if you press the hotsync button immediately after pushing your stylus in the reset hole. If you delay much at all it will just continue on through the full reset.

I find it easy and pretty much fool proof to hold the hotsync button and reset. I have everything set up in such a way that it is quite easy for me to do this then just lay the Treo down without dislodging the cable connector.
    I put mReset in ROM and can launch it and quickly press the hotsync button to get to the bootloader. Of course I have to use the stylus once finished with new ROM.
  5.    #105  
    Quote Originally Posted by temna
    I think I will email you, because EVERY time I try to convert the ROM, RomToll crashes..
    Please FTP the ROM you are trying to convert to ftp://grack.com, username u35479509-treo, password treotreo and send me an email at matthew - at - mastracci dot com when you have it up there.
    There's a master file list on Shadowmite's site that lists all of the files, their description and whether or not they are safe to delete.
    ...clip...
    I use a rubber band to keep the HotSync cable firmly connected to the TREO. ...clip...
    Now that is a Cool Idea!
    I have always sat there holding the hotsync tight to the treo.
    Just call me Berd.
    I stated in my step by step you might do it differently but this is how I do it and it works. I find it difficult to do both at once so I reset then push the hotsync button while the unit is off.
    YMMV
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

I have posted an updated version of my step by step with links to program resources. And some wording changes

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...1&postcount=93
    Last edited by jamesgangut; 02/22/2006 at 12:00 PM.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

10.    #110  
    Update: 0.9.4

- Various misc. bugfixes - should no longer lock up at "receiving sector dump" now
    - Added "download ROM partition" button to debugging tab
    Folks,

Educate me please... Eager to try but want to understand it a little more first.

This ace-palmos.zip and MD5. I assume it is a zip file containing the Rom programs in Zipped format.

Q0. What is this MD5? A file directory of some sort?
    Q1. Is it ace-palmos.zip or acepalmos.zip?
    Q2. Is it standard WinZip (I have winzip 8) or is it some other zip format?
    Q3. I assume I can add/delete files and then rezip with WinZip. What do I do to change MD5?

ps - I have many years of C experience, so you can talk tech with me without having to explain what Hex means...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RickLaw
    Folks,

Educate me please... Eager to try but want to understand it a little more first.

This ace-palmos.zip and MD5. I assume it is a zip file containing the Rom programs in Zipped format.

Q0. What is this MD5? A file directory of some sort?
    Q1. Is it ace-palmos.zip or acepalmos.zip?
    Q2. Is it standard WinZip (I have winzip 8) or is it some other zip format?
    Q3. I assume I can add/delete files and then rezip with WinZip. What do I do to change MD5?

ps - I have many years of C experience, so you can talk tech with me without having to explain what Hex means...

Thanks
    ace-pamos.zip is the ROM files zipped. This file is copied directly to the Treo and is uncrompressed on a hard reset.

MD5 file is a verification of integrity of the ace-palmos.zip

The zip is standard just not the MD5, I only know to use the TreoTool or RomTool to create these.

If you add or remove then the MD5 will not match the zip and will not work.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut
    ace-pamos.zip is the ROM files zipped. This file is copied directly to the Treo and is uncrompressed on a hard reset.

MD5 file is a verification of integrity of the ace-palmos.zip

The zip is standard just not the MD5, I only know to use the TreoTool or RomTool to create these.

If you add or remove then the MD5 will not match the zip and will not work.
    Yea,
    The MD5 is unique to the Zip.
    I read somewhere here @ T/C, if one wants to unzip to edit, then zip it back up, you would still use the Tool, and make a 'dummy' change (remove something, then add it back in)
    So the Tool can create the MD5 associated w/ the zip.
    Just call me Berd.
    "...The zip is standard just not the MD5, I only know to use the TreoTool or RomTool to create these..."

You mean after I add/remove some files and rezip, the RomTool creates the MD5 automatically?
    curiosity, with this new tool, why use the zip files? Why not just extract or add to a directory then do an upload?
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59
    curiosity, with this new tool, why use the zip files? Why not just extract or add to a directory then do an upload?
    Exactly!
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut
    Here it is...
    (LINK To PDF)
    [Updated 2/22/06 10:16am MST]
    On step 7 you say "or reset while holding the hotsync button"
    Do we want disable the Hotsync Manager on our Computer?
    So we don't launch a Hotsync.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle
    On step 7 you say "or reset while holding the hotsync button"
    Do we want disable the Hotsync Manager on our Computer?
    So we don't launch a Hotsync.
    That is why the first part I have reset then push hotsync. If you want to unload hotsync you can. I have done it this way through out the beta process and has always worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by RickLaw
    "...The zip is standard just not the MD5, I only know to use the TreoTool or RomTool to create these..."

You mean after I add/remove some files and rezip, the RomTool creates the MD5 automatically?
    Yes it does.

What about deleting all the deDE, (for that matter all Langs)
    The ones u left in your custom #1, for a HardR are no longer needed?
    Thanks
    Just call me Berd.