Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
  1.    #81  
    temna: Please post the contents of the log window and the bootloader log (if you are using the latest version of the tool), as well as the information from "copy to clipboard" on the phone info tab.

We're willing to help - just help us get some information to help you.

Your phone isn't dead in any way - we just need to get a proper rom on there.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmastrac
    temna: Please post the contents of the log window and the bootloader log (if you are using the latest version of the tool), as well as the information from "copy to clipboard" on the phone info tab.

We're willing to help - just help us get some information to help you.

Your phone isn't dead in any way - we just need to get a proper rom on there.
    Temna,
    Your in GOOD hands now,
    are you out there?
    Just call me Berd.
    I Sent him a PM to come back
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    Did I mention as far as I can get is the receiving sector dump? I'll see what info I can pull tomorrow.. I have to go to work now.. I fear if I play with this anymore tonight, it will end up in a blender..
    Unlocked Treo 650 (Nov 05) BTW: T-Zones sux!
  5.    #85  
    Temna: Please mail me at matthew - at - mastracci.com. I can offer you better assistance off the forum, but you need to get in touch.
    if I use mmastrac's tool to do custom rom. what file do I put in upload rom box??? I used shadowmite's custom rom tool to make my custom rom file already. is there any step by step how to use the tool? I've already download myoriginal rom and saved it just in case. thank you in advance you guy rock.
    I downloaded my custom ROM from my phone to a directory. I then made a copy of the directory so I would have a backup. Then I altered the directory by taking out and adding the .prc's I wanted in my altered custom ROM. Once finished, I uploaded the new directory to the phone. I have altered the ROM 3 or 4 times and have changed 2 colleagues to get rid of unwanted items. I used this method for the two colleagues as well.
    I have my rough step by step done I will get cleaned it up. I hope to post tonight.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    After working with this new ROM tool, I came to the conclusion the safest way to upload a new ROM is:

1. Install a new Palm release following Palm’s directions.
    2. Terminate the HotSync Manager.
    3. Start mmastrac's Rom tool.
    4. Press and hold the HotSync button and reset TREO to start the boot loader then release HotSync button. Wait until you notified Device Status is set to ready. I use a rubber band to keep the HotSync cable firmly connected to the TREO.
    5. On mmastrac's tool Click on Download ROM tab then click on Directory radio button. Then select an Output Directory followed by clicking on Download button. (No JAVA needed).
    6. Copy the Output Download directory contents to an Upload directory.
    7. Delete / add applications into this Upload directory via Windows Explorer like you did with Shadowmite’s ROM tool.
    8. On mmastrac's tool and click on Upload ROM tab. Select your ROM Source as the Upload directory you worked on in step. The directory will automatically be ZIPPED and MD5 just like the Shadowmite’s ROM tool would do. If Wasted Space is not grater than zero then New ROM will not fit. Remove items from the Upload directory and click on Refresh button to recalculate. When wasted space is greater than zero click on Upload button.
    9. When complete reset TREO.

Please critique.
    That sounds almost exactly what I do. I was to lazy to list the steps as you did.
    I think that just about anyone can follow these steps.
    Great job!
    Here it is...

[Updated 3/28/06 8:32am MST]
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jamesgangut; 03/28/2006 at 09:32 AM.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut
    Here it is...
    The instructions are great. The one thing I have found that I really like about the new tool is that I don't have to do restore after uploading the changed ROM. Of course, I always do a backup just in case. But, so far, I have not needed to do a restore. This tool is very cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by resturg
    After working with this new ROM tool, I came to the conclusion the safest way to upload a new ROM is:

1. Install a new Palm release following Palm’s directions.
    2. Terminate the HotSync Manager.
    3. Start mmastrac's Rom tool.
    4. Press and hold the HotSync button and reset TREO to start the boot loader then release HotSync button. Wait until you notified Device Status is set to ready. I use a rubber band to keep the HotSync cable firmly connected to the TREO.
    5. On mmastrac's tool Click on Download ROM tab then click on Directory radio button. Then select an Output Directory followed by clicking on Download button. (No JAVA needed).
    6. Copy the Output Download directory contents to an Upload directory.
    7. Delete / add applications into this Upload directory via Windows Explorer like you did with Shadowmite’s ROM tool.
    8. On mmastrac's tool and click on Upload ROM tab. Select your ROM Source as the Upload directory you worked on in step. The directory will automatically be ZIPPED and MD5 just like the Shadowmite’s ROM tool would do. If Wasted Space is not grater than zero then New ROM will not fit. Remove items from the Upload directory and click on Refresh button to recalculate. When wasted space is greater than zero click on Upload button.
    9. When complete reset TREO.

Please critique.
    That's what I did, except that I didn't stop the HotSync Manager and didn't reset at the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    That's what I did, except that I didn't stop the HotSync Manager and didn't reset at the end.
    How did you get the phone back up if you didn't reset after the upload?
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59
    How did you get the phone back up if you didn't reset after the upload?
    You're right, I did reset. I was thinking of a hard reset which wasn't needed using this tool.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut
    Here it is...
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    I think I will email you, because EVERY time I try to convert the ROM, RomToll crashes.. EVERY STINKING TIME..
    Unlocked Treo 650 (Nov 05) BTW: T-Zones sux!
    James, that step by step is great. Could you include links that tell what can be put in a ROM (what works and what doesn't), and also how to know the limit of how much can be included?

I wish I had time to try this today. . .
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    I have not got good results in getting into the boot loader by first resetting then pressing the HotSync; I guess I am all thumbs. When I click the HotSync it stated the windows HotSync Manager program. I was experimenting and at the time the excellent document StepbyStep RomTool by jamesgangut was not available for the Beta software.

Another observation was you can get into the boot loader either before or after starting the RomTool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
    James, that step by step is great. Could you include links that tell what can be put in a ROM (what works and what doesn't), and also how to know the limit of how much can be included?

I wish I had time to try this today. . .
    As far as what works and what doesn't, this post has a good list that is updated farely frequently.
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showp...1&postcount=75
Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast