Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 601
  1. #41  
    I live in China and use Chinese on my Treo and thus use CJKOS. Over the past while I have played around with custom APR, ROW and ENA ROMs all of which seem to have different ROM partition sizes. CJKOS seems to work fine in all the ROMS but for some strange reason asks for a registration code when in ENA so I have mostly been trying various APR and ENA ROMs.

    To get to the point. I see that when doing a ROM upload the tool shows the largest ROM size. I assume this is the size of the current ROM partition on the Treo. Am I correct to assume that if I currently have a ROM in the Treo with a smaller partition size (ENA, ROW) to install a ROM with a larger partition size (APR) that I would need to first use an updater or SD install which would change the partition size and could then use the ROM Tool after that if I wanted to alter that ROM?

    In the same vein, if I have a large partition ROM and use the ROM Tool to install a smaller partition ROM will the partition in fact stay the same?

    I have downloaded my current ROM so far but have not yet uploaded a ROM as I want to try it when I have some time to play with some variations and really learn to get the most out of this wonderful tool, or to recover from stupid mistakes for that matter. Many thanks.
  2. #42  
    Quick question, I used the ROM tool to remove Quick Tour, Get BC, and all Default Language DB's except English. So my new ROM is a little smaller than the original, does this mean that I will now have a larger DBCache? Thanks
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by peterbanks
    Quick question, I used the ROM tool to remove Quick Tour, Get BC, and all Default Language DB's except English. So my new ROM is a little smaller than the original, does this mean that I will now have a larger DBCache? Thanks
    Yes
  4. #44  
    jgm
    Yes partition will stay the same. You need to use SD method using the partition size that is the smallest you can use.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by BD1
    My earlier problems were caused by trying to load ereader pro. It doesn't work and causes reset loop.
    I have avoided adding ereader into my ROMs since it caused an infinite reset loop a while back. I would also recommend NOT adding it into your ROM.
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut
    jgm
    Yes partition will stay the same. You need to use SD method using the partition size that is the smallest you can use.
    What is the smallest partition size that your using?
    I guess my confusion is with the Hardcoded Partition size.
    Is not the ENA p size about 8.1mb.
    And if so do we take one your Customs and not put anything back in?
    Or do we Find a Rom w/ a smaller p size? Where is this ROM w/ the smaller p size.
    My confusion I guess is where does DbC come from, the extra 2mb.
    Or if I filled my Rom back up w/ stuff, back to the size it was before it was stripped what have I lost, or what have I gained?

    P.S. If you don't answer me right away, or w/ something I don't understand;
    I am Going to Respond w/ BIG MEAN LETTERS, DRAWNNNN OUTTTT AND W/ LOTS OF THESE: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Because when I visit these forums and ask u a question, on your free time, I should expect you to answer.

    facetious:
    1 : joking or jesting often inappropriately : WAGGISH <just being facetious>
    2 : meant to be humorous or funny : not serious <a facetious remark>
    Just call me Berd.
  7. resturg's Avatar
    Posts
    210 Posts
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by mmastrac
    PatrickS: in both cases you have two copies of the file - one stored in persistant storage (ie: on the DiskOnChip) and one in RAM (either in DBCache or the ROM area). The only real difference is that when you have a file in ROM, it is stored in zipped format on the phone versus a regular file that is stored unzipped.

    The confusing part of the whole Treo experience is that Palm refers to the persistant flash storage as "RAM" in a couple of places, where it is more accurately "free disk space". This is really just a holdover from the old Palm days where you really did have all your data in RAM.

    Remember that on the Treo, RAM consists of three things - the dynamic memory heap, the DBCache (loaded versions of files stored in the NVFS partition) and the ROM memory area (loaded versions of files stored zipped in the ROM partition).

    Hopefully this clarifies the statement that I made about the equivalence of using Resco Locker and putting files into RAM. While they are slightly different in their technical implementation, they both keep the files locked into RAM while PalmOS is running.

    I suppose that you could use this argument to conclude that any files that you would normally use Resco Locker for would be suited for inclusion in your ROM. I would somewhat agree with that point with the caution that you may experience instability, as some of the applications are unable to function when placed in read-only storage.
    I assume the items in ROM that is loaded into DBCache will be done such that DBCache will not be fragmented but using Resco Locker could fragment DBCache so that the largest free chunk could be smaller.
  8.    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by resturg
    I assume the items in ROM that is loaded into DBCache will be done such that DBCache will not be fragmented but using Resco Locker could fragment DBCache so that the largest free chunk could be smaller.
    Good point - as ROM is pre-allocated and never freed, it cannot get fragmented.
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle
    What is the smallest partition size that your using?
    I guess my confusion is with the Hardcoded Partition size.
    Is not the ENA p size about 8.1mb.
    And if so do we take one your Customs and not put anything back in?
    Or do we Find a Rom w/ a smaller p size? Where is this ROM w/ the smaller p size.
    My confusion I guess is where does DbC come from, the extra 2mb.
    Or if I filled my Rom back up w/ stuff, back to the size it was before it was stripped what have I lost, or what have I gained?

    P.S. If you don't answer me right away, or w/ something I don't understand;
    I am Going to Respond w/ BIG MEAN LETTERS, DRAWNNNN OUTTTT AND W/ LOTS OF THESE: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Because when I visit these forums and ask u a question, on your free time, I should expect you to answer.

    facetious:
    1 : joking or jesting often inappropriately : WAGGISH <just being facetious>
    2 : meant to be humorous or funny : not serious <a facetious remark>
    Different ROMUpdaters create different partitions. If you remember the 1.20 APR that was leaked was huge like almost 10MB. I use used the one from the cnb update ~7.2. All roms I set links for use the original ROMupdater from their release in case you want to go back to the original size. This could really be a different thread by itself.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

  10. resturg's Avatar
    Posts
    210 Posts
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    #50  
    I have Sprint 1.13a Custom ROM. The new ROM tool reports my largest ROM size is 7,136,768 and I am wasting 200,743. Is there any way for the ROM tool change the ROM partition size to an optimum upon based ROM size on Upload? Another future request would to display in Phone Info the MSL. I love this ROM builder. Great work MMASTRAC.

    The only problem I had was it aborted when the HotSync Cable came loose during a download, I now rubber band it the Treo.
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut
    Different ROMUpdaters create different partitions. If you remember the 1.20 APR that was leaked was huge like almost 10MB. I use used the one from the cnb update ~7.2. All roms I set links for use the original ROMupdater from their release in case you want to go back to the original size. This could really be a different thread by itself.
    So, if I'm hearing you correctly Your using the CNB Rom Updater as a Base, Building a custom, w/ all the stuff and fixes to the ENA (sms, armdeclib, and so forth)? And then installing w/ this cool new RomTool.
    Just call me Berd.
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by resturg
    I have Sprint 1.13a Custom ROM. The new ROM tool reports my largest ROM size is 7,136,768 and I am wasting 200,743. Is there any way for the ROM tool change the ROM partition size to an optimum upon based ROM size on Upload? Another future request would to display in Phone Info the MSL. I love this ROM builder. Great work MMASTRAC.

    The only problem I had was it aborted when the HotSync Cable came loose during a download, I now rubber band it the Treo.
    I had a similar question earlier, and if I understand correctly that wasted 200,743 gets added to your DBCache. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
  13. #53  
    Hi James, I really hesitate to ask more of you when you have already done so much. If I ask too much please say so directly.

    Would you please post the ROM partition sizes for all the 1.20 ROMs, ENA, ROW, APR, LAP. I am not sure if this will lead to others asking for the sizes of earlier ROMs or not.

    As you mentioned above, it may be appropriate to start a new thread for discussion of partition sizes.

    Thank you.
  14. #54  
    jgm & Berd I am working a list up. I will post a little later.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut
    jgm & Berd I am working a list up. I will post a little later.
    Thanks,
    Is there something I can do to help?
    Just call me Berd.
  16. #56  
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

  17. #57  
    I installed the ROM tool as well as the .NET file. I also intalled the USB bootloader driver. When I run the rom tool and then reset my treo while holding the hotsync button, in the log I get:
    2/20/2006 9:51:58 PM Waiting for phone...
    2/20/2006 9:52:17 PM Found phone, waiting for bootloader
    2/20/2006 9:52:18 PM Bootloader started, starting code dump
    2/20/2006 9:52:46 PM Waiting for load to finish
    2/20/2006 9:52:46 PM Waiting for program to start (approx. 3 seconds)

    and then nothing, for minutes at a time. I tried restarting my computer as well. Any ideas?
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by albertb
    I installed the ROM tool as well as the .NET file. I also intalled the USB bootloader driver. When I run the rom tool and then reset my treo while holding the hotsync button, in the log I get:
    2/20/2006 9:51:58 PM Waiting for phone...
    2/20/2006 9:52:17 PM Found phone, waiting for bootloader
    2/20/2006 9:52:18 PM Bootloader started, starting code dump
    2/20/2006 9:52:46 PM Waiting for load to finish
    2/20/2006 9:52:46 PM Waiting for program to start (approx. 3 seconds)

    and then nothing, for minutes at a time. I tried restarting my computer as well. Any ideas?
    2 questions-
    Do you have a password on your Treo? If so disable it.

    Are you seeing an image on the Treo?
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

  19. #59  
    Thank you, I unassigned the password and that fixed it.
  20.    #60  
    I've updated the tool to fix a couple of bugs:

    - The bug where you ended up with duplicate boot, System and PalmOSData files is now fixed
    - Progress controls should be move more frequently
    - Phones with security passwords should be detected now

    Two new features:
    - Auto-check for updates
    - Bootloader log for extra diagnosis

    Things to test:
    - uploading/downloading/converting ROMs
    - set a security password, make sure the program shows you the "is phone locked?" message
    Last edited by mmastrac; 02/20/2006 at 11:19 PM.
Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions