Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 192425262728293031 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mmastrac View Post
    A mac mini.

Unfortunately, projects like these just take time. I just hope to finish before the GSM 7x0 comes out and all the Treo 650 users disappear.

UPDATED: I've got a Mac now, so this will certainly be supported in the first release. Windows, Linux and Mac all together.
    10/8/06 Hi, newbi here. I posted yesterday about trying to get my Verizon Treo 650 to bluetooth connect to a car kit/head unit (none hold the connection for more than 30 seconds). I'm also running a macbook pro. Is this the link I've been looking for? Will your rom tool make it possible to use a car kit or new head unit with my Verizon phone?
    Thank you,
    Patrick
    hey guys. i have a small problem and would really appreciate some help.

'Quake' was gracious enough to try and help me out, but to no avail since he and I are using diff models; and the fact that i just cannot solve the problem

the problem: Cannot install the 'DPInst', I get an error saying its 'Unassigned', i've dl'ed the installer multiple times, so its not corrupt, just that my computer cannot seem to find the bootloader.

Now, i've dl'ed the .Net thats in the instructions, etc and have palm desktop. I've restarted over and over again, but have the same problem. I have a GSM unlocked 650

any ideas?
    I'm currently having a problem with the ROM tool. After I installed the bootloader files, and my 650 goes into the "rainbow" mode, when I try to run the rom tool, it gives me an error "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135). Click on OK to terminate the application." I downloaded the file again to make sure I don't have a corrupt file, even tried it on another computer, but I got the same error. Can anyone tell me what this error is about? I've made sure that I installed the bootloader files properly, after going into the rainbow mode and it asked for the driver, I pointed it to the inf file and everything goes well up to that point. It's the RomTool.exe that won't run! Can anyone help please? I'm running WinXP sp2.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    manilenio - have you installed the drivers as well? They come in the zip file.

I am finally fairly happy with my set-up. One problem - when I had PoweRUN in ROM, it refused to put back applications into the card (they stayed in RAM). I finally took it out and left it in RAM.
    Wai Leung
    Palm IIIx, Palm IIIc, Handspring Visor, GSPDA G18, T650
    Quote Originally Posted by TPGolfer View Post
    manilenio - have you installed the drivers as well? They come in the zip file.

I am finally fairly happy with my set-up. One problem - when I had PoweRUN in ROM, it refused to put back applications into the card (they stayed in RAM). I finally took it out and left it in RAM.
    Yes, I have installed it... What I forgot to do, is to install the .net framework. I'll try that first and see if it solves the problem. Thanks!
    My treo 650 is stuck en bootload screen, can´t HR nor ZOR, please help!
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cybKARMA View Post
    My treo 650 is stuck en bootload screen, can´t HR nor ZOR, please help!
    Can you soft reset? Hard reset not necessary, just take out the cable and try soft reset first.
    Wai Leung
    I just upgraded my treo from FW 01.28/SW 1.13-APR to FW 01.71/SW 1.20-APR. Now I want to change 1.20-APR to 1.20-ENA but I can't do that. I read somewhere about Editing Tokens with romtool for doing this. I don't know how to do and the hex Value of these two-software versions.

Can anyone who did it show me the way to do?
    Thanks all for reading and help.
    Use TokenWriter

Run the program and then use the following syntax:
    write <parameter> <value>

the parameters would be:
    crnm (carrier name: ENA, INT, CNG)
    revn (version: 1.20, etc)
    VisorDeluxe -> VisorPhone -> Treo180g -> Treo270 -> Treo600 -> Treo650 [GSM T-Mo]
    Quote Originally Posted by afisma View Post
    log:
    6/12/2006 5:17:16 PM Treo 650 ROM Tool v1.0.0.0
    6/12/2006 5:17:16 PM Checking for version updates...
    6/12/2006 5:17:16 PM Update URL: http://grack.com/romtool/updatecheck
    6/12/2006 5:17:16 PM Waiting for phone...
    6/12/2006 5:17:16 PM Found phone, waiting for bootloader
    6/12/2006 5:17:21 PM Error checking for updates: The remote name could not be resolved: 'grack.com'
    I'm having the same issue as afisma had above. He solved the problem by removing his SD card. I get the same issue even though my SD card is not in the slot. There is no password on my Treo. The ROM Tool is simply stuck on "phone found" and "waiting for bootloader" My Treo screen shows the red/green/blue/white rainbow stripes with "Bootload v 0.24" in red stripe, "SD" in green stripe, and "usb" in blue stripe. Anybody have any suggestions on getting the bootloader to work?

Perhaps it's my SD card slot? My Treo is often slow to recognize when an SD card has been put in or taken out of the slot.

I also verified that:
    .NET 2.0 was the latest MS .NET Framework installed on my computer
    "Treo 650 bootloader" device was listed when bootloader was initiated
    wceusbsh.sys was the driver associated with "Treo 650 bootloader"

I rebooted computer and then initiated bootloader. I also tried to start ROM tool first, and then initiate bootloader, but got the same result.
    Last edited by BoNoTrEo; 12/01/2007 at 01:41 PM.
    ;^) Heh. I see from the "last logged in" field at the top of the page that I've been over ten hours pouring over this whole thread. It's argueably one of the most informative threads I've seen an any forum, and I've seen a few.

:^/ However, I see no mention of later models of Tréos. I own an unlocked Tréo 755p and would like to replace the Sprint logo that appears as the phone connects and disconnects with my own graphic instead. I've learned elsewhere that the graphic is stored in ROM, so this tool seems to be perfect for what I need.

Unfortunately, I can't get the tool to recognize that the phone is connected. I've disabled HotSynch and so on. Is it possible to download ROM's from the 7xx series of Tréos, or will that have to wait until a later version?

;^) Thanks in advance....
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    The ROM Tool won't work on anything other than a 650. A 680 requires the SD card update method (from what I've seen in passing) but I don't know whether anyone has been able to do something for other Treo models. I'd check the 755p forum.
    Wai Leung
    Way to revive a year old thread!

gracks RomTool only ever worked for the Treo650, it was made by HTC and it had a bootloader that allowed upload and execution of custom code to allow reading and writing of the ROM and token databases.

It wasn't updated for the Treo680 as it wasn't possible, HTC didn't make it and it doesn't have a bootloader (at least one thats accessable to us mere mortals). Hence the 680 custom ROMs are flashed to the device using romupdater.prc from the SD card updates released by Palm. This is inherently more dangerous as there's no current way to recover from a bad flash.

The Treo700p and 755 both have bootloaders as far as I'm aware (the tri color screen seen when holding hotsync-power-center) but I believe that the commands which allowed upload or execution of custom code had been disabled, hence no RomTool support was added.
    To add insult to injury, the SD card updates released for the 700p included the ROM image in a different format (it wasn't a ZIP file in hacksplit pdb format), and to my knowledge nobody has managed to create a custom image with that.

Regards,
    tomtastic
    I have to tell you that this tool still rocks. I had to pull my treo 650 out of mothballs due to my other phone--meeting the bottom of my swimming pool. I already had the newest rom on the phone but wanted to enable fat32...a download, swap and an upload and I am on my way. Hats off to you all.

Parley
    About a year ago, I moved to the 7.1 ROM, but I have now removed more applications and could fit everything in a 5.5 ROM, which would give me quite a bit more RAM. However, I cannot find any ROMUpdater that gives me that. If I follow the instructions and use T3.jar from Shadowmite to generate the files to put in my ROM directory on the card, I just go back to the original, larger ROM, whereas James' original post seems to imply you can create your own size ROM.

Does anyone know how I can create a ROMUpdater that does not waste the space?

Thx,

Piet Stevens
    We wish we did.
    Sadly, you can't choose explicitly how large or small you want the ROM partition to be, we are only able to use the different romupdater.prc's available currently.
    Man,
    The romtool is a great program. Thank you guys so much for all of your hard work and patience. It took me a about 72 hours off and on, a little patience here and there. Hey, I finally got it! I don't remember exactly what I did. But I did finally get the fat32 system uploaded replaced a couple of files and voila! Finally!!! My 650 reads the 4g sdhc card. Thanks. I know it is possible now. I almost gave up. Just want to encourage some people out there keep hacking away at it.

wash8127.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Dear Matthew & ROM Update Tool Team,

The first time I tried RomTool all setups, edits, & uploads went very well.

System :
    Windows 2000 , PC
    Palm Treo 650, factory unlocked, No security activated, No SD card inserted.
    8 GB card, Grade 6 Transend
    Installed RomTool v1.0.0.0

1st RomTool use. Actions completed :
    * Checked for good connections via Hot Sync. conformation.
    * Pressed HotSync + then reset button+release reset + then release HSync.
    * Rainbow Bootloader screen seen on Treo, followed by Black & White Treo 650 ROM Tool screen.
    * RomTool Screen on PC --- shows Phone Info: ROM Tokens, ROM Info (partition size 16,640 sectors.
    * Did ROM download , ROM edits ( removed FATfs, added FAT32 ), ROM Upload
    * Confirmed via FileZ above edits were completed.
    * Inserted 8GB SDHC chip that I had loaded with 2GB from old 2GB chip.
    * All programs checked, did function. Great, is it time to party ??

My next ROM edit was planned to remove other programs ( Real, Versa Mail, etc).

2nd RomTool use. Actions completed :
    * Checked for good connections via Hot Sync. conformation.
    * Pressed HotSync + then reset button+ relase release reset + then release HSync.
    * Rainbow Bootloader screen seen on Treo. But NOT followed by Black & White Treo 650 ROM
    Tool screen. Bootloader screen reads v 0.24 in Red zone, no comments in Green, Blue, or white.
    * RomTool Screen on PC --- shows NO Phone Info. and Device Status = Waiting for phone.

The Log at the bottom of the ROMTool screen reads:

Device Status : Waiting for the phone.....

Treo 650ROM Tool v 1.0.0.0
    Checking version updates
    Update URL: ---update check
    Waiting for phone...
    Program is up-to-date

After about 4 hours of trying many fixes, I have not been successful, and would greatly appreciate any suggestions you or your colleagues could offer.

I have tried :

* Read all your Treo Central threads ( Tips &Tricks. , ROM Update Tool, etc)
    * changed USB sockets
    * Did Hard Reset

One problem I am concerned about : Even though the HotSync works, I was not able to insure that the Treo was pointed to the "Drivers" file. I cnnot seem to get the Hardware Wizard to find the Palm when I'm in the Bootloader screen mode . Any suggestions ?
    Last edited by RUB; 03/12/2008 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Bootload screen info.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Whenever I get the 'waiting for phone' or 'have you got security' messages (which is happening more often these days), I just unplug/plug the cable and/or do a soft reset and start again. The longest its taken more is about 5 minutes to get it to recognise the phone and down the bootloader
    Wai Leung
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TPGolfer View Post
    Whenever I get the 'waiting for phone' or 'have you got security' messages (which is happening more often these days), I just unplug/plug the cable and/or do a soft reset and start again. The longest its taken more is about 5 minutes to get it to recognise the phone and down the bootloader
    Thanks for the suggestion. So far I have connected about 2 / 20 tries.

I've tried deleting the ROMTool files and reinstalling, reboot the PC several times. Probably by accident, the 2nd time the Bootloader connected, I had just done a reinstall of the "drivers file". After reinstalling the ROMTool and reconnecting the Treo to the PC, followed by pressing HOTSync, then reset, the release reset, then release HOTSync --- I see the following Icon messages in the lower rt . cornor of my PC screen :

1. Found New Sync Hardware HTC.
    2. Your hardware is ready to connect.

Great --- but no connection to ROMTool !!!!!

Any more suggestions ?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SOLUTION to ERRATIC PC connections:

Many thanks to the clues from TPGolfer. This helped locate the source of erratic connections.

New Treo to Bootloader connection procedure :

1. Be sure PC is connected to the internet --- needed for ROMTool to verify current tool version.

2. Turn PC ON. Wait for blinking PC activity light ( HD / CPU) to stop blinking.

3. Boot up ROMTool via Shortcut to RomTool.exe. Activates version 1.0.0.0

4. Wait for blinking PC activity light ( HD / CPU) to stop blinking.

5. Disconnect cable to Internet connection. This is required to stop internet
    interference with the PC Booloader to Treo connection.

6. Wait for blinking PC activity light ( HD / CPU) to stop blinking.

7. Activate Bootloader via:
    7.1 Press HotSync button.
    7.2 While holding HotSync press Reset button.
    7.4 Release Reset button.
    7.5 Release HotSync button.

8. See Rainbow screen on Treo. Red zone reads: Bootloader v. 0.24

9. See RomTool green fill bar start to fill.

10. See Blue zone of Rainbow screen read: USB.

11. See RomTool PC screen reads: wait about 3 sec.

12. See Rainbow screen do a transition/wipe to the Black & White "Treo 650 RomTool"

13. See RomTool screen ( Phone Info):
    13.1 Rom Tokens fills up with data.
    13.2 Device Status : Connected.
    13.4 Log.
    13.4.1 Receiving sector dump.
    13.4.2 Ready

14. Now you may Download ROM, Edit, & Upload new ROM.
    Last edited by RUB; 03/12/2008 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Solution to PC connection problem found