Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 18232425262728293031 LastLast
    rom tool's homepage is grack.com i believe.

What I did when I was finally ready to delve into this was to print out the gigantic threads in printer-friendly form and sat on the toilet and read them (no joke).... it's the best way for me to concentrate.
    Treo 300 (x2), 600 (x3), 650 (x6), 700p (ROM'd to 755p)
    My Custom Black-Tie 700p
    Sprint, 750 AT, Unl N/W @ 7pm, Unl Roaming/Power Vision/Pix/Txt/M2M, $46/mo.
    Lost Your Treo 300/600/650/680/700/750 CD? Download them here.
  2.    #542  
    Quote Originally Posted by theleetbeagle View Post
    rom tool's homepage is grack.com i believe.
    http://grack.com/romtool
    Thanks! I just read the text on the home page of the link above, and I am guessing that the purpose of the ROM tool is to be able to have your own custom programs in ROM?

What else does it do? I remember also reading that it will allow you to be able to mod your Treo so that it can read 4GB SD cards?

What else does this do? I have download the pdf file and will print that off.

Anything else I need to know to embark on this not so mysterious journey? What do typical users (dare I say power users) include in a custom rom and what do they take out from the OEM ROM?

As my gratitude to you Mathew, I will host your website for you for your clan http://www.grack.com/main/Hosting.html . Send me a PM if you are interested and I can set it up today if you want. I provide web hosting as part of my web dev services.
    Last edited by SilverGS; 09/21/2006 at 11:13 AM.
    Unlocked Rogers GSM Treo 650, PalmOS V5.40017, Firmware: 01.71, Software: Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Modded and hacked! Custom ROM - removed RealPlayer, Todo, Tasks, Versamail, Tips, World Clock, Launcher. Added support for FAT32 SD cards.
    Software: PDAbs, Backup.NET, Uninstall Manager, Card Reader, FileZ, Power RUN, DateBk5, DocumentsToGo, HandZipper, Chatter, TakePhone, Technician, Voice Dial, TCPMP, SpashPhoto, Insaniquarium, Memory Master, Sol Free, Palma Sutra
    ROM allow for 4GB SD Card useage (by replacing fatfs.prc with fat32.prc). They allow you to remove icons that you don't need (most ppl remove versamail, realplayer, GetBC, etc). They allow you to add files that you will always want on your phone (since u won't be able to delete them). Although I haven't done it yet, I want to add LEDOff, Filez and some others.
    My Custom Black-Tie 700p
    ROM allow for 4GB SD Card useage (by replacing fatfs.prc with fat32.prc). They allow you to remove icons that you don't need (most ppl remove versamail, realplayer, GetBC, etc). They allow you to add files that you will always want on your phone (since u won't be able to delete them). Although I haven't done it yet, I want to add LEDOff, Filez and some others.
    1. Where can I get the fat32.prc?

2. What is the benefit to running the apps on the ROM as opposed to running them from an SD card? Is it particular to each app? I think for example that snappermail cannot be run from an SD card.

3. Isn't one downside to running apps from ROM that you will reduce the total memory available? I am confused about this last point as to the benefits/versus the downside to running other apps from ROM as opposed to running them from RAM or an SD card.
    Unlocked Rogers GSM Treo 650, PalmOS V5.40017, Firmware: 01.71, Software: Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Modded and hacked! Custom ROM - removed RealPlayer, Todo, Tasks, Versamail, Tips, World Clock, Launcher. Added support for FAT32 SD cards.
    Software: PDAbs, Backup.NET, Uninstall Manager, Card Reader, FileZ, Power RUN, DateBk5, DocumentsToGo, HandZipper, Chatter, TakePhone, Technician, Voice Dial, TCPMP, SpashPhoto, Insaniquarium, Memory Master, Sol Free, Palma Sutra
    1) There are links to fat32.prc in this forum... possibly even in this thread.

2) You run apps in ROM so that they don't take up part of the 650's precious available memory (24MB i think?). The ROM is a separate section of that memory. And yes, you can run things off the SD Card, too. Don't know the best answer to that one.

3) See 2.
    My Custom Black-Tie 700p
  7.    #547  
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverGS View Post
    1. Where can I get the fat32.prc?

2. What is the benefit to running the apps on the ROM as opposed to running them from an SD card? Is it particular to each app? I think for example that snappermail cannot be run from an SD card.

3. Isn't one downside to running apps from ROM that you will reduce the total memory available? I am confused about this last point as to the benefits/versus the downside to running other apps from ROM as opposed to running them from RAM or an SD card.
    My recommendation is to keep as much stuff out of ROM as possible. I have a document that describes why here:

http://www.grack.com/blog/articles/2...e-and-rom-size
    Quote Originally Posted by mmastrac View Post
    My recommendation is to keep as much stuff out of ROM as possible. I have a document that describes why here:

http://www.grack.com/blog/articles/2...e-and-rom-size
    Thanks! That was an excellent read!
    I have one last question regarding this bit of text:

"Once you have stripped your ROM, ensure that you are using a ROM updater that gives you the smallest possible ROM partition that still fits the size of your ROM."

How do you accomplish this? Is this with the ROM Tool?
    I have one last question regarding this bit of text:

"Once you have stripped your ROM, ensure that you are using a ROM updater that gives you the smallest possible ROM partition that still fits the size of your ROM."

How do you accomplish this? Is this with the ROM Tool?
    I might have missed it, who is your carrier?
    If your w/ cing or sprint, you are good as is.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=107666
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I might have missed it, who is your carrier?
    Rogers Wireless in Canada. I have a GSM phone - just bought it. It has PalmOS V5.40017

Firmware is 01.71

Software is Treo650-1.20-ENA

CC-Cap: ENA-ROG-001

Carrier DB: 259
    I don't know the size of Rogers. (no jokes please)
    You may just want to leave it alone, it's not a big issue.
    But if you find that ROG's RomUpdaterApp is bigger than CNG or Sprint and you get up the courage, use james instructs in link I gave in last post.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I don't know the size of Rogers. (no jokes please)
    You may just want to leave it alone, it's not a big issue.
    But if you find that ROG's RomUpdaterApp is bigger than CNG or Sprint and you get up the courage, use james instructs in link I gave in last post.
    OK Thanks! I will try this out this weekend and keep you all posted!
    Ok, I already need help............ (attempting to do a custom ROM)

First step - reset while holding the hotsync button.

I pulled out the battery, held the hotsync button and then put the battery back in again.

I can't get the "rainbow" bootloader screen up... What am I doing wrong?
    Ok, I already need help............ (attempting to do a custom ROM)

First step - reset while holding the hotsync button.

I pulled out the battery, held the hotsync button and then put the battery back in again.

I can't get the "rainbow" bootloader screen up... What am I doing wrong?
    Umm.... just use the stylus to press the reset button next to the battery (RTM) while holding the hotsync button on the cable.

-B
    I had stop doing the custom ROM's a few months ago, just at the time ShadowMite changed the routine. I did not have the time to learn the new method and decided it was safer for me to put doing it aside for a time when I really needed.

Now that I've read just a little about this new tool and I think I will get into it again. I've wanted a 4gb card for the longest (the 2meg isn't enough with all the video podcasts that I watch).

So before I get started on this journey, I wanted to thank everyone that has helped put together this new tool which will make it easier and less of a scary procedure for novice users (I'm pretty techie but compared to the group here, I'm a novice).

Thank again.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

I've a stupid question, due to special software requirement I could not upgrade my XP to SP2, which is required to install .NET, can I use Win2K SP3/4 instead ?
    Quote Originally Posted by mmastrac View Post
    I've updated the tool to fix a couple of bugs:

- The bug where you ended up with duplicate boot, System and PalmOSData files is now fixed
    - Progress controls should be move more frequently
    - Phones with security passwords should be detected now

Two new features:
    - Auto-check for updates
    - Bootloader log for extra diagnosis

Things to test:
    - uploading/downloading/converting ROMs
    - set a security password, make sure the program shows you the "is phone locked?" message
    Wow, mmastrac, you never cease to amaze me with all the time you put into this!!!

Quick question for you - do you know if installing LauncherX into the ROM will cause any problems on the Treo? I have alreadly removed the default launcher using your tool last week and now want to put LauncherX into ROM, so that I can do a hard reset and expunge my Treo of all the software I have been testing and running for the last month and then would just sync up my PIM data from my pc.

Second question - do I need to modify the boot.cnf file to recognize the FAT32.prc driver?

I read on another thread that there is a reference to the FATFS file in the boot.cnf file and my ROM now does not have that file anymore. I am having a problem with my Treo and it does not recognize my new 2GB SD card and I am hoping this is the cause of the problem.
    boot.cnf does not need edited. Simply replace fatfs.prc with fat32.prc.
    My Custom Black-Tie 700p
    boot.cnf does not need edited. Simply replace fatfs.prc with fat32.prc.
    Thanks! Any idea what could be causing this problem regarding the SD card? To not get off-topic, you can respond here instead please - http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=125322