Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 152021222324252627282930 ... LastLast
    Some thoughts:

1. any reason not to use the wceusbsh drivers from the activesync 4.1 release or are the drivers you use from some devkit you have a license for?

2. when moving to java:
    a. to minimize the amount of JARs you have to deploy. I know that will be hard given the freebies .net gives you.
    b. use an external xml file to store preferences such as disabling the update check and allowing a starting default path(s) for any operations that use directory paths

3. ability to log to a disk file as well as console (aka like tee)

4. in the Debugging window, you provide the ability to DOWNLOAD the various partitions and contents. I use this often (for my own reasons), and would be nice if there was an option to DO ALL THREE at once after providing a prefix filename and the app supplying a suffix denoting what the file is.

5. given a known list of REQUIRED files (eg, from shadowmite), when the app is building a ROM from a directory based upload to ensure the end user didn't goof something like deleting a critical file. Make this an option and maybe have this list on your site that the app will download on an update check.

6. For continued pre Java releases, it would be nice to see #2b. Maybe use a local INI file to store the prefs.

7. avoid the "auto" download of (custom) ROMs feature to minimize PalmOne jumping on you like they did to shadowmite. Unless you mean auto downloading of official ROM releases from Palm of which it would be nice if the app could auto extract the files and dump them to a dir.

Keep up the great work!

Quote Originally Posted by mmastrac
    Okay guys - I just released v1.0.0. Not too many fixes over the last 0.9.7 version:

- Merge the zip code into the EXE - no more DLLs
    - Some token fixes from CraniumFunk
    - Allow reconnect after connection error
    - Got rid of token warnings (this code has been tested enough)

Note that there are two command-line options:

-noupdatecheck - skips the update check
    -nowarn - skips the warning at the program start

I guess it's time to start gathering features for future releases. Note that I will likely be releasing the 2.0 version as a Java application to make it more cross-platform.

Some of the features on the roadmap are:

- Saving previous contents of dropdowns
    - Creating "ROM patches" that add, remove or smart-patch given files from any ROM
    - Allowing people to disable the update check
    - Automatic download of ROMs from the internet (subscribe to ROMs?)
    - Allowing hard resets to happen from the tool itself
    - Bootloader console mode for advanced users
    I just want to know, since i'm new at this ROM theory stuff. Can this be used to remove programs you don't want on my treo? i'm not worried about the ROM size or anything, as i have tons of room left over even with the programs I already wanted on there. I just want to remove things like: 'GetGood', 'Wrls Email' and 'RealPlayer' from my Cingular branded & rom-ed (but unlocked) Treo 650.

I guess secondly, do these new custom roms help knock down the self-reboots over time? My guess would be no since most reboots come from either the old-style SIM card or unsigned applications loaded onto the Treo. Thanks for any and all suggestions. I love this Treo.
    nightrider
    You need to do a search on here, but..

Yes you can remove the progs you don't want.

And yes, if you reduce the total size of progs in your ROM you increase the amount of DBCache. This then helps reduce the number of random resets. Lots of users have reported greatly improve stability
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpc
    Hi... I was trying out this ROMTool thingy and it seems that it had stuck at the bootloader portion and refuses to go further. I do not have any password security, thus am not sure how to get this to work correctly with my Treo.

The log shows -
    19/3/2006 05:55:39 PM Treo 650 ROM Tool v0.9.7.0
    19/3/2006 05:55:39 PM Checking for version updates...
    19/3/2006 05:55:39 PM Waiting for phone...
    19/3/2006 05:55:39 PM Update URL: http://grack.com/romtool/updatecheck
    19/3/2006 05:55:39 PM Found phone, waiting for bootloader
    19/3/2006 05:55:40 PM Update site says latest version is v0.9.7
    19/3/2006 05:55:40 PM Program is up-to-date

With Device Status - Found phone, waiting for bootloader

And on the treo, it's bootloader v0.22

Anything else that we have to looking out for, for this to work?

Er... Do I have to remove the SD Card??
    Im having the same problem, sync manager is not running on the background. what should I check, my bootload version is 0.24
  5.    #485  
    Quote Originally Posted by eyj_morales
    Im having the same problem, sync manager is not running on the background. what should I check, my bootload version is 0.24
    Can you post your bootloader log from the 1.0 version?
    I haven't seen much about the boot.conf. Does this file *have* to be modified when you change the ROM contents? Someone mentioned it does when using the Shadowmite's method, but is it necessary with the RomTool? Or does RomTool generate a new one?
    <br>
    It generates a new one.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

ChasT, i did try searching for those things, but searches like any other board i've been to bring me to unrelated topics with words i search for scattered all over. I always do searches for things like this. Thanks for your helpful information. Just to reduce the random resets & outdated useless programs will make me a happy man, and also show up a Blackberry lover rival.
    Well, I used the update ROM tool and it worked just fine; no problems to my Palm and it finally got rid of GetGood & RealPlayer. I do want to remove other things like the following, but i don't know what their file names are...

Wrls Email
    Quick Tour
    Security (don't need it if it's in preferences right?)
    World Clock
    Welcome
    Sim Srvcs

Again, i'm sure someone has already posted this before, but i'm at work and really don't have time to search through all 25 pages of this very helpful thread. Thanks for the program!
    This file gives you a good idea of what files are associated with each program. It is from shadowmite.com.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by nightriderzx2
    ChasT, i did try searching for those things, but searches like any other board i've been to bring me to unrelated topics with words i search for scattered all over. I always do searches for things like this. Thanks for your helpful information. Just to reduce the random resets & outdated useless programs will make me a happy man, and also show up a Blackberry lover rival.
    Glad to be of help

Here is a very good link which shows you what can be removed. It's so useful, it's a pity it's not been made sticky

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=110386
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Whenever I try to run Romtool I get an error message from Windows saying "RomTool has encountered a problem and needs to close....". I followed the instructions (eg installing .NET etc..) What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
    Sammy
    Quote Originally Posted by SammyK
    Whenever I try to run Romtool I get an error message from Windows saying "RomTool has encountered a problem and needs to close....". I followed the instructions (eg installing .NET etc..) What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
    Sammy
    Nevermind. I redownloaded. Reinstalled. All is good.
    Hi all. I hope someone may be able to help. I have a custom ROM and have cut it down as much as possible. I need VersaMail though, so please -- no advise to stop using VM!!

I was having problems with constant resets whenver I SYNC with VM, so I followed PALM's instructions and hard reset and renamed my backup folder for a clean install. I went through the account setup process in VM and received an error message stating: "Please load Library BGService.Lib"

I did several searches for bgservice.* and surprisingly came up with nothing. I don't know if this is a VM problem or a custom rom problem, which is why I posted here. Apologies if it turns out to be a VM issue. Any help would be much appreciated!

UPDATE:

Well, as it turns out, it was a ROM issue. Although the MasterFileDescriptionList.pdf states that you can safely remove or not include BGService.bprc and BGService_enUS.oprc I decided to add them back to my ROM and all is well. Now, as I add back each of my 17,000 3rd party apps one at a time, hopefully I will find the culprit as far as my resetting problem. If anyone happens to be interested in what I determine, feel free to PM me. Thanks.
    Last edited by csherman; 05/17/2006 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Figured it out!
    "I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer."
    This tool is awsome, I have been holding off and just using the old custom rom update procedure (hard reset, copy to card, .... etc). This tool is awsome, have I said that already? 5
    Treoing & Loving it
  17.    #497  
    For those interested in the status of the cross-platform (Linux/Win/Mac) port, here's a screenshot from the Linux and Windows versions to whet your appetite:

http://img506.imageshack.us/img506/6...tool7qx.th.png

http://img485.imageshack.us/img485/1...dows7wa.th.jpg

The first Java betas will likely support Linux and Windows initially, with Mac support coming as I figure out how to get it up and running.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmastrac
    For those interested in the status of the cross-platform (Linux/Win/Mac) port, here's a screenshot from the Linux and Windows versions to whet your appetite:

http://img506.imageshack.us/img506/6...tool7qx.th.png

http://img485.imageshack.us/img485/1...dows7wa.th.jpg

The first Java betas will likely support Linux and Windows initially, with Mac support coming as I figure out how to get it up and running.
    Looks great!!! now all we need are the new programs off the 700P...
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by csherman
    I did several searches for bgservice.* and surprisingly came up with nothing. I don't know if this is a VM problem or a custom rom problem, which is why I posted here. Apologies if it turns out to be a VM issue. Any help would be much appreciated!
    I recall reading that the two BGService files are used by VersaMail for background operations (hence the 'BG')
    VisorDeluxe -> VisorPhone -> Treo180g -> Treo270 -> Treo600 -> Treo650 [GSM T-Mo]
  20. dhl
    Well I just scared the bejezus out of myself doing the FAT32 upgrade from my mac using virtual PC, but all is good.

Downloaded my rom to a VPC directory with no problem, replaced the FATFS file with the FAT32 file, re-read all the threads for the jillionth time and finally did an upload.

All went well until about 3/4s of the way in when the updater appeared to hang as it was receiving a sector dump. I tried not to panic and instead went out to give the program time (it is virtual PC after all).

When I returned, the ROM tool reported that the download was complete but that the operation had finished with errorcode 1167. (there were other errors in a dialogue that I dismissed).

I reset the Treo hoping not to have a brick and was happily surprised when it came back with all my data intact.

Now here's the cool part:

New Twinmos 150x 2gb SD card:

FATFS - VFSMark: 636
    FAT32 - VSFMark: 1119

Looks like everything worked despite the error.

But I think I'll lay off any more ROM hacking until the Java tool for mac is available (soon I hope!) Don't want to push my luck any further.

Question for mmastrac: will the new version of the tool make it possible to shrink the ROM partition size?

Thanks everyone for all the great information on these threads!