Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 7121314151617181920212227 ... LastLast
    When it starts building, and then even on refreshing. The only way I found around it was to completely exit the app, restart it, and rebuild. Then it will complete the rebuild successfully. BUT as I said, what is funny, is that the erronous negative Largest ROM size is always the same, and the Current ROM size shown with the erronous Largest ROM size always shows correctly and the same the next time through the Rebuild process.

This happened several times and gave me quite a scare the first time. By no means is this meant to be critical. It's a wonderful tool but I had not seen this problem mentioned previously. I cannot repeat any steps to MAKE it occur, it's stricly a random occurrence.
    I have read every post of every thread that came up in my various searches for "custom rom", "rom partition size", and similar queries, and I still need some help. If there's a post that answers my question, feel free to point me there.

I have used Matthew's Rom Tool to download my 1.20 ROM, manipulate it by removing languages and applications I don't need, and have uploaded the custom ROM to my phone, and everything works fine.

Of course, since I've done nothing to change my partition size, I get no RAM benefit. I understand that I do get a DBCache benefit, but if I understand correctly, I'll get the DBCache benefit even if I do reduce the partition size of my ROM, as long as the space in RAM remains open.

I know I could add apps back into ROM that I normally have in RAM to increase my ROM size to the partition size so that there's less wasted space, but from what I understand, that's not the best thing to do. The best thing to do would be to continue running the apps in RAM, and just reduce my ROM partition size to as small as possible.

I understand that one way I can do this is to run an old updater for my phone. In my case, the Cingular 1.17 update is the smallest ROM partition size that would work for my phone (which is an unbranded, unlocked, once-Cingular phone), but even that partition is over 1 MB bigger than I need it to be. Is that still the best method? If so, other than downloading the update from Cingular's website and reinstalling it, then updating my custom 1.20 ROM over that, I don't know how to USE the 1.17 update to reduce my partition size. If I do it that way, I'll drop my firmware from 1.71 back to 1.51, and I'm not sure that's the best course of action.

I don't understand the references to using the SD method to change the partition size, or dropping in new ROM updater PRCs.

I guess I need some clarification on the best and/or easiest way to change my ROM partition size, and, if possible, step-by-step directions on how to do so. (The PDF step-by-step for using the Rom Tool was excellent.)

Thanks,

Jonathan
    To change a partition size you do need to do it via an SD updater. To create one you need to do this.

Backup data

From RomTool export your custom ROM as a ZIP.
    (Don't know about the RomTool start here)
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...1&postcount=93

Get an SD card and at the root create two folders PALM & ROM

use the T3.jar file from Shadowmite to get the files from Palm updater base you are using.

Copy the following files to the ROM dir:
    ace-palmos.zip ***created by RomTool
    ace-palmos.zip.md5 ***created by RomTool
    ace-htc-tpl.zip
    ace-htc-tpl.zip.md5
    ace-ipl-cvt1
    ace-ipl-cvt1.md5
    ace-ipl-cvt2
    ace-ipl-cvt2.md5
    ace-ipl-dvt
    ace-ipl-dvt.md5
    ace-ipl-evt
    ace-ipl-evt.md5
    ace-palmos-tpl.zip
    ace-palmos-tpl.zip.md5
    ace-spl
    ace-spl.md5

In the Palm folder create Launcher dir.
    Copy the appropriate ROMUpdaterApp here.

Insert power to Treo & then SD card. Run ROMUpdaterApp, type
    rev cvt2 [enter]
    ace [enter]
    Restore data.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jamesgangut; 03/11/2007 at 02:13 PM.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Ok.. here goes nothin'... =) Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut
    use the T3.jar file from Shadowmite to get the files from Palm updater base you are using.
    I downloaded the T3.jar file from Shadowmite, but can you explain how I use it to get the files I need? Again, I've searched, but only found 3 threads with references to T3.jar (one of them was this one) and within those could not find out how you use the file. (I do have Java installed on my system, and I can open the file. When I do, it creates an empty ace-palmos archive. I'm assuming I don't have whatever source file it needs in whatever directory it needs it to be in.)
    Copy out the install files from Palm updater (ie. TreoUpdater) copy T3.jar to the copied folder. Double click. It will create the files.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    I downloaded the new ROM tool to troubleshoot a 650 with a boot cycle. It seems like the way to go is to load a new ROM, right??? I don't have one. Can somebody send me one? post it here perhaps?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
    To start. Have you tried a hard reset?
    If you have downloaded the RomTool, have you tried to get your Treo in bootloader and then access it via the RomTool? If so you can download your ROM image. There are ROM's all over in this forum but you have to get the poper one for your version of the phone.

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    To start. Have you tried a hard reset?
    If you have downloaded the RomTool, have you tried to get your Treo in bootloader and then access it via the RomTool? If so you can download your ROM image. There are ROM's all over in this forum but you have to get the poper one for your version of the phone.
    Yes, I have tried hardreset and zero out reset and none of them work, the phone keeps cycling. the Zero out will only give me the bootloader, so is not kicking in. I did access my ROM from the RomTools and was able to download the current ROM. So, were exactly can I get a brand new ROM that would work with RomTool?
    Quote Originally Posted by roquito
    Yes, I have tried hardreset and zero out reset and none of them work, the phone keeps cycling. the Zero out will only give me the bootloader, so is not kicking in. I did access my ROM from the RomTools and was able to download the current ROM. So, were exactly can I get a brand new ROM that would work with RomTool?
    If you can get into the bootloader, And you want a brand new unaltered Rom, go get it from Palm, extract the files, and then use the RomTool to Upload it.
    Then if you can get up and running, you can run the Official Palm Updater the Official way. Then use the RomTool to customize.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by roquito
    Also, if you could change you signature to reflect your phone, carrier, version, and so forth, like mine, it may help others know a little more about you, and make it easier to assist.
    Just call me Berd.
    Just to clarify about the T3 tool for anyone searching this thread in the future:

To find the Palm Install files, I ran the updater install, and found the temporary directory containing the installation files in my c:\program files\palmone directory. Maybe this is obvious to some, but it took a little bit for me to figure it out.
    So,

I'm up and running with a new custom rom that I made using the ROM tool and the directions and advice found in this thread and on this forum.

I collected some data that some people might find interesting.

ROM Size, RAM Size, and Free RAM were determined by FileZ.
    Largest ROM Size, Current ROM Size, and Wasted Space were determined by RomTool.
    DBCache Size, DBCache Free, and DBCache Max were determined by DBCacheTool.

Custom 1.20 ROM - (Some things removed)

ROM Size - 12,910,592 bytes
    RAM Size - 19,922,944 bytes
    Free RAM - 5,203,968 bytes
    Largest ROM Size - 8,414,208
    Current ROM Size - 5,886,481
    Wasted Space - 2,527,727
    DBCache Size - 14,352,112
    DBCache Free - 10,002,408
    DBCache Max - 9,989,248

Custom 1.20 ROM - Partitioned to 7.1 (from 8.4)

ROM Size - 12,910,592 bytes
    RAM Size - 19,922,944 bytes
    Free RAM - 6,590,464 bytes
    Largest ROM Size - 7,136,768
    Current ROM Size - 5,886,481
    Wasted Space - 1,250,287
    DBCache Size - 14,352,112
    DBCache Free - 9,912,400
    DBCache Max - 9,856,832

Original 1.20 ROM

ROM Size - 15,269,888 bytes
    RAM Size - 17,573,748 bytes
    Free RAM - 5,191,680
    Largest ROM Size - 8,414,208
    Current ROM Size - 8,179,628
    Wasted Space - 234,580
    DBCache Size - 11,002,816
    DBCache Free - 7,360,184
    DBCache Max - 7,314,776

As expected, reducing my ROM partition size from 8.4 MB to 7.1 MB increased my available RAM by 1.3 MB. According to the DBCacheTool, it didn't affect my DBCache in any significant way.

Now, for some more advice, what would you all recommend I do with the 1.2 MB of "Wasted Space" due to the ROM partition being larger than necessary? Should I leave it as it is, or should I move some applications into ROM?

Jonathan
    This tool is indeed very easy to use. And, THANK-ALL for all your help.

From 120ENA, I grab the rom from the 650, remove the Spanish, French, and Italian, leaving German and English. (I like it to be bilingual), added the Fat32 and put it back. The whole process ran like a charm.

Interesting thing I just notice. I downgraded back to 1.43/1.13 to check on a VersaMail issue. (I have a few 650s deployed here and I want to replicate a problem someone encountered) After that, I reloaded the rom I made from 171/120 with Fat32. While things works, the info page saids version is 143/113. I think it did go back to 171/120 since versamail when to 3.1E as oppose to 3.1C.

I ended up running the 120ENA upgrade again, then redownload my 120 based custom rom - so the numbers match. I rather the info page's version number match so I know what issues I ran into with what version.

That whole exercise reminded me how much louder 143 is comparing to 171! I am now running 120ENA but with 143 firmware, see how I like it. I did have echo with 143 every now and again, but the volume is wow! With 171 and VC, I can't hear via my Treo headset when I am driving, so even if it is echo-free, it is pointless. With 143, I had no problems.

Now I got a toy - a tool I can change the rom with. Not sure what I really want to change that is useful tho. (Fat32 being the exception. I need that one.)

Fat32 alone is a lot of help. Thankyou again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonahan
    Now, for some more advice, what would you all recommend I do with the 1.2 MB of "Wasted Space" due to the ROM partition being larger than necessary? Should I leave it as it is, or should I move some applications into ROM?

Jonathan
    Nothing. You are better off the way it is.
    Last edited by jamesgangut; 03/20/2006 at 06:23 PM.

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    ROM is good, I have tested many ROMs now and they all load good. However, the amount of stuff I have in RAM is over 33MB, I think this is causing a reboot cycle, and I can't get out of it. I need a way of cleaning the RAM from Windows, the hard reset does not work. I know RomTool can do a dump of the RAM but no a clear. Any ideas anyone?
    roqu,
    Have you tried a Zero-Out Reset?
    If so, here's a couple more options.
    Take out Battery, Hold the power button (red phone) and put the battery back in, when you get to the second logo screen let go. If that one did't work. Take out Battery again, Hold the up arrow on the 5 way, put in the battery, release at second logo screen, This should get you to the phone screen.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 03/21/2006 at 01:26 AM.
    Just call me Berd.
    To change a partition size you do need to do it via an SD updater. To create one you need to do this.

Backup data

From RomTool export your custom ROM as a ZIP.

Get an SD card and at the root create two folders PALM & ROM

Copy the following files to the ROM dir:
    ace-palmos.zip ***created by RomTool
    ace-palmos.zip.md5 ***created by RomTool
    ace-htc-tpl.zip
    ace-htc-tpl.zip.md5
    ace-ipl-cvt1
    ace-ipl-cvt1.md5
    ace-ipl-cvt2
    ace-ipl-cvt2.md5
    ace-ipl-dvt
    ace-ipl-dvt.md5
    ace-ipl-evt
    ace-ipl-evt.md5
    ace-palmos-tpl.zip
    ace-palmos-tpl.zip.md5
    ace-spl
    ace-spl.md5

In the Palm folder create Launcher dir.
    Copy the appropriate ROMUpdaterApp here.

Insert power to Treo & then SD card. Run ROMUpdaterApp, type
    rev cvt2 [enter]
    ace [enter]
    Restore data.
    Can I take the files in a Rom-dir of your Custom Roms and use them with my ace-palmos.zip and MD5 to change a partition size from 8.4 to 7.1?
    Or I need T3.jar file, etc.?

If I then update via official Palm updater in the future, can I have any problem to change from 7.1 to 8.4?
    Do I Need to change partition size to 8.4 before to run update?
    Thanks James.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    I did try zero-out, hard reset, and soft reset. None of them work. I need a tool to wipe out the RAM. By the way, zero out does not kick in, it just goes to the bootloader.