Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718192025 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    297 Global Posts
    Though I am still working out a few bugs with my own ROM, i just wanted to thank mmastrac for his work here.

His tool and the 1.20ENA Custom ROM's posted on the Fast Blazer Thread allowed me to get my first ROM uploaded with no problems at all.

Again, thank you.
    mmastrac,

I want to give you a huge thumbs up for you ROM tool. After removing a few unused applications -- unused languages (I only left English), GetBC (Sprint phone), Real, Memo (I use KeySuite), ToDo, Tutorial, Calculator, Handango Launcher -- my Treo is so much more stable. It was crashing once a day at least, it's run a week now without a single crash.

You rock.

The only change I would suggest would be an integration between your ROM tool and Shadowmite's file list to make removing applications really easy -- Check which applications you want/need, have the ROM tool build a folder with just the files you need.

Keep up the great work,

RocketDude
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle
    You are not wrong.
    But for the most part if someone wants to change the size of their Rom partition, I would sugggest to just use one of james customs and just replace the RomUpdaterApp.prc to the complimentory size, and run it as is. Then from that time foward use the RomTool. My main concern was to clear some of the confusion of trying to merge old methods w/ the RomTool.
    Thanks Berdinkerdickle, That is pretty much exactly my plan as soon as I get time to execute it. The ROM is made with the appropriate RomUpdaterApp.prc substituted but I have no time to install right now. I will only do these things when I have no time pressure which often leads to stupid mistakes.

The reason I brought it up is because things are changing so fast. I have been able to keep up with what's happening by grabbing a few minutes several times through the day to check the forums but I am so busy right now that it would be easy to miss something and I hate the thought of wasting time doing an SD update if I could do things quicker and safer with the ROM tool.

Being so busy lately I really appreciate your efforts to consolidate and simplify the wildly scattered information.
  4.    #284  
    0.9.7 released-

Fixes problems with not always being able to connect to the phone. Should be more reliable now.
  5.    #285  
    Any mac users around? I'm working on a Java port to support you guys and I'll eventually need some testers/information about the Mac platform. Email me at matthew - at - mastracci - dot - com if you are interested.
    I'm having trouble getting 0.9.7 to connect. I did not have problems with previous versions. Anything in particular I should look for?
  7.    #287  
    JohnH59 - can you mail the bootloader log from the debugging screen and a copy of the log at the bottom of the screen to matthew - at - mastracci - dot- com? I might be able to diagnose any problems with those.

Anyone else having trouble?
    Quote Originally Posted by mmastrac
    JohnH59 - can you mail the bootloader log from the debugging screen and a copy of the log at the bottom of the screen to matthew - at - mastracci - dot- com? I might be able to diagnose any problems with those.

Anyone else having trouble?
    I just tried it on my home computer and it connected just fine. But, it is stopping at Reading Partition Size. I'll send you the info.

Update: I sent you the log info. But, after 5 tries, it has connected successfully and made ROM changes.
    Last edited by JohnH59; 03/09/2006 at 10:39 PM.
    Grabbed this from Poor Tonyís Thread
    ...clip...
    Unfortunately for Palm's updater method, any glitch during partition reformat, IPL or SPL writes will brick the phone beyond any repair means. You might get lucky if it glitches during the TPL or HTC bootloader updates (maybe brick, maybe not). Thankfully there's no way to permanently destory a phone with a glitch in the ROM update phase (again that's why I hate Palm's update method ).

....clip...

Here's my suggested tips for everyone to keep the permabrick potential low:

- Use Palm's updater sparingly - ie: only if there are problems with the other update methods.

- You can run the phone firmware updates without running Palm's updater (on both GSM and CDMA phones). They are not tied to PalmOS ROM versions, so find the ones you like and stick with them. They don't seem to be too bad for failing during updates (but I have seen 2 or 3 phones with dead radios from this).

- If you use the SD card method, make sure you always use the same IPL, SPL, TPL, HTC TPL and RomUpdaterApp files *every time*. Your chances of permabricking your phone will be much lower if these items do not need to be updated.

- Make sure your phone is plugged in and has a full battery. Just common sense here .

...clip...
    I really appreciate this advice. Never heard it before.
    So my concern might be for future Official Updates.
    Up to the ENA release it was no problem just creating a Custom from the Official Release, and then installing the SD method. But this latest Update has made it even more difficult.
    Itís like Palm is trying to prevent us from making Customs, forcing us to only go the Official route.
    (CC-Cap & Car DB)
    So would you have any advice for those w/ Cing when then next Official comes out?
    Just call me Berd.
    I just wanted to say "thanks" for this tool.

Very nice indeed.

All I've done so far is simply take all extra languages files out from my cutom FAT32/Fast Blazer 1.20 ENA ROM.

I guess what I've accomplished is some gain to DBCache. A good thing, to be sure!

If we ever gain the abaility to easily change the size of the ROM partition, I'll do that, but for now, I'll leave well enough alone.

The only thing that does not work properly is PXA Clocker. Maybe some day I'll get that working properly again...
    Last edited by westronic; 03/10/2006 at 11:30 AM.
    mmastrac,
    I want to give you a big THANKS for this fantastic Tool. Congratulations.
    Of course and the other guys for the help, like jamesgangut, berdinkerdickle Etc.
    Today it's too easy for the everyone to make a Custom Rom.
    I've updated the tool to fix a couple of bugs:

- The bug where you ended up with duplicate boot, System and PalmOSData files is now fixed
    - Progress controls should be move more frequently
    - Phones with security passwords should be detected now

Two new features:
    - Auto-check for updates
    - Bootloader log for extra diagnosis

Things to test:
    - uploading/downloading/converting ROMs
    - set a security password, make sure the program shows you the "is phone locked?" message
    i have a question, if someone downloaded his/her rom and shares it with anybody, can that anybody use it to upload to his/her treo650 without incurring any problems? hmmmm. i am looking for 1.13 APR ROM do you have it ? if so please upload it somewhere so that i can download it, i would be very happy if you do. thanks very much.
    The weather in Richmond, B.C. is

The weather in MY Place is

For Car and Pictures Enthusiast!
    http://www.ngkhai.net/cars
    http://www.ngkhai.net/cebupics
    Any mac users around? I'm working on a Java port to support you guys and I'll eventually need some testers/information about the Mac platform. Email me at matthew - at - mastracci - dot - com if you are interested.
    Email sent. Thanks for working on this!

Thanks,
    Peter
    I'm not sure if this has been asked before, if I open a ROM list with my Windows Explorer and just want to remove the Realplayer file for example, and I just use the delete fuction, than save and apply the rest to my phone, will that work or does the ROM file HAVE to modified with a Showdowmite type program?
    You must use the tool. One of the things it does is generate an MD5 sum which is used to check the validity of the installation. If you just delete files the old MD5 sum won't match the modified ROM. At best your install just won't work and you will have to use the restore tool with a valid ROM and MD5. At worst you will permanently brick your phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by jgm
    You must use the tool. One of the things it does is generate an MD5 sum which is used to check the validity of the installation. If you just delete files the old MD5 sum won't match the modified ROM. At best your install just won't work and you will have to use the restore tool with a valid ROM and MD5. At worst you will permanently brick your phone.
    I have already tried yesterday, I only deleted one extra language file and the 2 clock files, seems to be fine so far, am I eventually going to have a problem? Should I redo the rom with the proper tool?
    If you are using the RomTool to download to a directory, modify the files in the directory then upload to your treo then you are fine. You use the RomTool instead of Shadow's tool.

You can't just modify the the ace-palmos.zip file directly.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Grabbed this from Poor Tonyís Thread
    ...clip...
    - If you use the SD card method, make sure you always use the same IPL, SPL, TPL, HTC TPL and RomUpdaterApp files *every time*. Your chances of permabricking your phone will be much lower if these items do not need to be updated.
    ...clip...
    ...clip...
    "make sure you always use the same IPL, SPL, TPL, HTC TPL"
    ...clip...
    What are the IPL, SPL, TPL, HTC TPL?
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut
    If you are using the RomTool to download to a directory, modify the files in the directory then upload to your treo then you are fine. You use the RomTool instead of Shadow's tool.

You can't just modify the the ace-palmos.zip file directly.
    I did modify it directy, that was my question, so should I do it over and reapply it although it seems to be working fine?
    If you used the RomTool(upload), then no you did just what was intended.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS