Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast
    Someone can confirm that the romtool does not work if thre is a SD in the slot?
    Everytime I try to use it with my SD in, it doesn't work (keeps saying "waiting for the phone"). If I remove the SD and restart the bootloader, then it works.
    Is this happening only to me?
    It works perfectly with an SD in the slot.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Mine also works with the SD in the slot.
    --Nelson
    works fine for me too
    Just call me Berd.
    Hi all ...

have been using this tool successfully to try out different custom roms .....thanks very much toi matt and everyone who has worked on it and contributed ..

seem to have struck a problem with latest version (9.6) ....

i went from my existing custom to another using 9.6 .....

the new custom ROM seemed to install ok ... and all apps / phone etc seemed to work ok but i noticed that i couldn't get the language selection screen up no matter how i reset the phone ..... also i noticed some trouble hotsyncing after the new custom... most times, but not all times, pressing the hotsync button would cause the phone to reset rather than hotsynch ..... i think at this point i also noticed that the carrier number was now reading 251 not 255 ....

somehow i managed to get the phone to synch enuff to get thru redoing the latest official palm gsm 120 lap and all seemed ok after that ..... could acces language selection ok ... reading 255 ok ... able to hotsynch normally ....

not one to leave well enough alone i tried to redo my custom again ....no matter what gsm base rom i used i got the same problems back again ... carrier reads 251 ... unable to access language selection screen ... can' t get it to hotsynch at all ... goes into the reset and then phone switches on etc ..... otherwise the phone itself and all apps seem to be working ok .....

i used the tool to restore my backup - the stock standard palm gsm 120 lap ..... it seems to have installed ok ... but the same three problems have now persisted into that version ... ie can't access language selection with any type of reset .... carrier reads 251 not 255 ... can't hotsync ... phone will just reset every time the hotsync button is pressed ... i can't use the official installer as i can't get the phone to hotsync .....

it's not a huge problem ... as the phone works ok ... and all apps currently loaded work ok (ie the "fresh out of the box apps are now installed " ) ..... but i can't hotsync ....

any ideas ? .... suggestions? ....

thanks
    regards
    aussietanker
    aussie- the files needed to trigger lang selection must be gone. The RomTool would have no effect there.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

auss,
    try run official again and build cust from that. somewhere james' lists the langs that must remain.
    Just call me Berd.
    These are the 8 language files that MUST remain in ROM

DigitizerPnl_xxXX.oprc
    IIDataLib_xxXX.oprc
    LatinLocModule-2X_xxXX.oprc
    LocalLib_xxXX.oprc
    LocsLib_xxXX.oprc
    SetupApp_xxXX.oprc
    SplashscreenColor-2X_xxXX.oprc
    System_xxXX.oprc
    It is actually 7, you don't need DigitizerPnl_xxXX.oprc. It was left behind in my ROMs acidentally.

Needed files:
    IIDataLib_xxXX.oprc
    LocalLib_xxXX.oprc
    LocsLib_xxXX.oprc
    SetupApp_xxXX.oprc
    System_xxXX.oprc
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

hi all

These are the 8 language files that MUST remain in ROM

DigitizerPnl_xxXX.oprc
    IIDataLib_xxXX.oprc
    LocalLib_xxXX.oprc
    LocsLib_xxXX.oprc
    SetupApp_xxXX.oprc
    System_xxXX.oprc

i have just checked my original rom folder and all these files appear to be there ... both the english and german versions .....

it's no major problem as i said cause its all working fine ... i am not in a reset loop ...in fact it appears to be running very smoothly ...except that i can't hotsynch (it does a reset whenever the hotsync button is pressed) ... and can't seem to get to the language selection ... it is working on english which is ok ...

even a ZOR doesn't seem to change it .... i get to the hold/push button up to erase all data screen ... but when i do that it seems to falter or reset straight to the (english ) regular phone pda functoins ... kind of "skipping" the language select screens ....

is there anyway that i can use the new tool to install the official updater again .... (rather than installing thru the desktop) ...... its not a zip ... it's a exec file i think .... on the desktop it doesn't work for me cause i get to the part where it says to press the hotsync button and the phone just resets

i tried to install my "virgin"gsm 120 backup zip (downloaded prev from the stock standard phone after officially updating to lap 120 ) ... but that still gives the same problems altho it seemed to install ok ... all custom apps are gone ... versamail etc is back ....

any further thoughts anyone ....
    Last edited by aussietanker; 03/04/2006 at 07:11 PM.
    Yes you can, first start the installer. Get to the point you are supposed to hotsync. Then browse to your palm folder there will be a TreoUpdater dir. Copy that to the desktop. Then cancel out of the Updater. Then you can use the ZIP (pdb) option in RomTool and point it to your copied TreoUpdater dir.

***Warning***
    If you Flashed your ROM with a 7.1 partition this will not work. You must have an 8.4

mmm .. very confused ....

struggled with this until 4am this morning ..... decided to sleep on it .... woke up this am .....bingo ..... somehow it hotsynched ..... now all is well ... all three issues have been corrected .....

didn't get to try your suggestion james ... but will file it away for "future reference" .... thanks for your suggestion and ideas .....

thanks to all for your encouragement ..
    regards
    aussie
    Hi all...
    just a quick post to add some information in regard to this problem ...

seem to have struck a problem with latest version (9.6) ....

i went from my existing custom to another using 9.6 .....

the new custom ROM seemed to install ok ... and all apps / phone etc seemed to work ok but i noticed that i couldn't get the language selection screen up no matter how i reset the phone ..... also i noticed some trouble hotsyncing after the new custom... most times, but not all times, pressing the hotsync button would cause the phone to reset rather than hotsynch ..... i think at this point i also noticed that the carrier number was now reading 251 not 255 ....
    after spending many hours on this i began to suspect that it was either a software conflict or a matter of too many apps jammed into the custom ROM .....

i found that if i went back to the basic gsm 120 lap that james did for me none of the 3 problems arose at all (ie after installing the new custom ROM and adding in some of my fav apps .....i was unable to get any language selection screens even tho' all necessary files were installed ... i was unable to hotsynch - the treo would just resets itself back to the phone screen ...... and carrier showed 251 not 255 ... otherwise the phone and all pda functions worked really well ) ....

thank you james ...

then i found that using that custom version as a base and adding in just one or two apps the 3 problems didn't arise .... but once i put in a few more apps all 3 issues appeared again .... i could clear the 3 problems by going back to james original custom ROM ... i could replicate the problem by adding in more apps ...

anyway .... to cut along story short i found that there was one, and only one prc in my "list" of fav apps that consistently caused the problem ... it was a prog called crashpro ...

once i removed that one everything semed to revert back to normal again .... while crash wasn't on the "approved" list ... it also wasn't on the "banned" list either ... i had tried it in an earlier custom ROM that i had done and it seemed to work ok ... i don't know why i had problems with it this time ... perhaps it was "conflicting" with something else ...

so now i have my custom exactly as i want it ... (except for "crash" )... and it all seems to be working well ... i will continue to watch how it all works over the next few days and then send my list to berd.... so he can add appropriate comments to his list of "approved" apps

regards
    aussie
    Some questions before to make my first custom Rom with this new Rom Tool:

1) I have downloaded my Rom in a folder, after official Palm updater GSM 1.71-1.20 ENA.
    Can I delete all languages but Italian and leave only the 7 files (i.e. english or other) to resolve carrier 255 issue after HR? Or other files xxxxxx_enUS are important to leave in Rom?

2) Hard reset after upload doesn't need? Is it correct?
    But in this case, after upload my new custom Rom (with Fat32 or other system files changed) can I have any problems in Hot sync or in restore from my SD backup?
    Have I only to delete from Ram the appl moved in Rom?
    Or is better a HR after upload a new custom Rom?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry for my poor English.
    Can I delete all languages but Italian and leave only the 7 files (i.e. english or other) to resolve carrier 255 issue after HR? Or other files xxxxxx_enUS are important to leave in Rom?
    If you do this, don't forget to change the "locale" parameter to itIT in the boot.conf file.

stipus
    Hi,

First, thanks to everyone, this app and supporting docs -- Shadowmite's filelist + jamesgangut's How To -- made it unbelievably simple to create my own ROM (baby steps, just removed all languages but English, plus some apps).

I uploaded my ROM and my Sprint Treo 650 is working like a charm.

So is there anything else I should have done (e.g., Adjust partition settings) to capture the advantages of removing items from ROM? If so, is there a FAQ on what to do next?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by mmastrac
    Actually, what you freed up was NVFS. The Treo really means free "non-volatile storage" when it talks about free RAM. You are technically using more RAM (ie: the SDRAM type), as the uncompressed ROM files are transferred into an unfreeable RAM area.
    Well I suspect you'll have your hands full for awhile , but thought I'd ask this question anyway, Mmastrac.

I was under the impression that the only time (on the Treo) that the ROM was unzipped to RAM was after a hard reset (or zero out reset).

But your tool doesn't require a hard reset. And you stated above that the ROM files are extracted to an unfreeable RAM area. Unless I'm crazy, you are indeed directly modifying those ROM-in-RAM files--without requiring a hard-reset.

In addition, the tool seems to be able to use a variety of ROM partition sizes. Am I correct in assuming this is being accomplished without disturbing anything already stored on the NVFS disk--something akin to, say, Partition Magic?

Finally, the question I'm really after: is there any way, besides being connected to a PC via Hotsync cable, to get to those ROM-in-RAM files? Seems like that should be possible, unless Palm has walled off that area like the Green Zone.

What I think would be great is a way to get to those ROM-in-RAM files directly, right on the Treo. Yes, I would still want a working custom ROM to fall back on in case of a hard reset. But it would be sooooooo nice to be able to add-and-subtract ROM-in-RAM files on-the-fly (similar to using the old JackFlash). Obviously, I'd want to be able to move apps that can run from SD to SD too.

If this isn't possible, does anyone know what Palm uses to wall off this RAM area? Are files there just "marked" (and protected) as being in ROM, or is that area of RAM protected in some other fashion? With all of the stuff being done with the Treo I guess it's just hard (for me) to imagine not being able to overcome whatever protection Palm put in place for the ROM-in-RAM files.

Assuming you (plural) understand what I am asking, does anyone else have a desire for such an application? (Keep in mind any changes done like this will evaporate after a hard-reset. But I'm willing to live with that risk, as I backup regularly anyway.)

BTW: I wouldn't expect such an app to be free. I, for one, would be willing to pay for it.

--
    Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDude
    Hi,

First, thanks to everyone, this app and supporting docs -- Shadowmite's filelist + jamesgangut's How To -- made it unbelievably simple to create my own ROM (baby steps, just removed all languages but English, plus some apps).

I uploaded my ROM and my Sprint Treo 650 is working like a charm.

So is there anything else I should have done (e.g., Adjust partition settings) to capture the advantages of removing items from ROM? If so, is there a FAQ on what to do next?

Thanks!
    With Sprint you already have the smallest partition size so you don't need to worry about that.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut
    mmastrac, correct me if I'm wrong:

Memory is 32MB
    There are two partitions:
    ROM & NVFS
    ROM is where the bootloader and ROM image are stored.
    NVFS is the rest. So if ROM is 7MB then NVFS is 25MB, 8MB then 24MB etc.
    NVFS is where there are 3 different things:
    1- Running version of ROM (variable)
    2- Dynamic memory (fixed ~5MB)
    3- DBCache (difference of the above two)

The "wasted" space is the left over of the ROM partition. The way this has any effect on dbcache is that the samller the ROM size that will be running in NVFS the more dbcache you will have.
    Obviously I am not mmastrac, but just wanted to be sure you meant "RAM" not "NVFS" above (bold added by me). You did mean RAM, right? If so, you are of course correct (but there is another 32 MB of true RAM, just like the 32 MB of flash memory).

(I suspect the answer is yes, but didn't want that post to confuse anyone.)

--
    Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinman!
    Obviously I am not mmastrac, but just wanted to be sure you meant "RAM" not "NVFS" above (bold added by me). You did mean RAM, right? If so, you are of course correct (but there is another 32 MB of true RAM, just like the 32 MB of flash memory).

(I suspect the answer is yes, but didn't want that post to confuse anyone.)

--
    Mike
    Correct. I edited my post.