Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast
    I have updated it to add a section for those who are unsure what to do with a downloaded cutom rom and using it with the RomTool.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...1&postcount=93
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Cool! These Treo Tools are incredible. I've been flipping the software in my Treo just because I can. Great to be able to try out various configurations. Kudos to all!!
    Jer 23:29
    James - Question. Your Cust1 is a Cingular ROM correct? When I used it to try to go back from an unlocked 1.20 ENA everything seemed to take - yet showing nothing in firmware field and Treo650 - 1.06/342/-RC in Software field. Can't update to Cing 1.17 - says I still have an unbranded 1.06 phone.

Sort of confused as to where I stand with things. I take it my Treo is still unlocked - Cust1 ROM did not update any apps - still have Cing Xpress, Versamail, Tutorial. Yet Upload seemed to go fine. Crazy....

Thanks for any light on this.
    Last edited by JPVann; 02/26/2006 at 02:39 PM.
    Jer 23:29
    Quote Originally Posted by JPVann
    James - Question. Your Cust1 is a Cingular ROM correct? When I used it to try to go back from an unlocked 1.20 ENA everything seemed to take - yet showing nothing in firmware field and Treo650 - 1.06/342/-RC in Software field.

When I tried to reboot I get nothing from the phone - dead. Will try to reload. Thanks!
    My ROMs are unlocked GSM. They will work with Cingular but they are not Cingular ROMs
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Jamesgangut: thanks for the many answers, now I feel I have a better grib on what it is. Zip I knew, MD5 was a puzzle to me. Once I find some free time, (which is hard), I will give the tool a try.

JohnH95: (why would I want to deal with zip...) Well, I don't know what I am doing yet, so I had to ask some dumb questions.

But, folks around here are helpful as always...

Thanks, Guys
    Quote Originally Posted by RickLaw
    JohnH95: (why would I want to deal with zip...) Well, I don't know what I am doing yet, so I had to ask some dumb questions.

But, folks around here are helpful as always...

Thanks, Guys
    Not a dumb question. I was asking the group since this tool is so new. Like everyone else, the method of custom ROM's I used were with the .zip file and SD card. With this new tool, I was simply asking why use zips. As far as I knew, there might have been a strong reason to stay with .zip files and not use the directory method as I have been doing since the tool was released for open beta.

This place is wealth of information.
    Can the next version of the ROMTool support the ability to clear a password?

Code:
    Bootload Start
     pmsys =0xA171A808
    !!!!!! Device has password set.  Type erase to erase all data and proceed !!!!!!

HTC Sausalito Bootloader Version : BOOTLOAD V0.24 
    Built on Apr 14 2005 at 15:25:13
    Copyright (c) 2003 High Tech Computer Corporation

++Check BT Router
    USB>>
    USB>>mw
    Invalid command : mw

For a help screen, use command ? or ?? or h
    USB>>
    I had to use TeraTermPro_WinCE_USB.zip to connect to the bootloader and issue the "erase" command so I could successfully re-flash my bricked phone.

Code:
    USB>>erase
    FAT size=0x17C8000 Byte
    Write FATFS Offset add=0x0 Length=0x17C7000 Checksum=0x0
    Use N4 SPL: mount DiskOnChip
    firstSectorToUpdate =3
    last sector =48131 ,sector count=565
    Write FATFS patition successfully
    Format FATFS partition....

USB>>
    An option with-in ROM Tool would be very nice. I was using v0.9.5.0
  8.    #208  
    Quote Originally Posted by cesium1024
    Can the next version of the ROMTool support the ability to clear a password?

Code:
    Bootload Start
     pmsys =0xA171A808
    !!!!!! Device has password set.  Type erase to erase all data and proceed !!!!!!

HTC Sausalito Bootloader Version : BOOTLOAD V0.24 
    Built on Apr 14 2005 at 15:25:13
    Copyright (c) 2003 High Tech Computer Corporation

++Check BT Router
    USB>>
    USB>>mw
    Invalid command : mw

For a help screen, use command ? or ?? or h
    USB>>
    I had to use TeraTermPro_WinCE_USB.zip to connect to the bootloader and issue the "erase" command so I could successfully re-flash my bricked phone.

Code:
    USB>>erase
    FAT size=0x17C8000 Byte
    Write FATFS Offset add=0x0 Length=0x17C7000 Checksum=0x0
    Use N4 SPL: mount DiskOnChip
    firstSectorToUpdate =3
    last sector =48131 ,sector count=565
    Write FATFS patition successfully
    Format FATFS partition....

USB>>
    An option with-in ROM Tool would be very nice. I was using v0.9.5.0
    Sure... I always worried about running that command - wasn't absolutely certain it did what it meant to do. I'll add a prompt to offer to clear that password if the phone is locked - or maybe just a bootloader terminal mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmastrac
    Sure... I always worried about running that command - wasn't absolutely certain it did what it meant to do. I'll add a prompt to offer to clear that password if the phone is locked - or maybe just a bootloader terminal mode.
    Thanks, Bootloader Terminal would be perfect and would mitigate the need for TeraTerm. A button/menu entry would be fine as well. Perhaps include another tab called "Bootloader Terminal", or allow the "Debug" tab to accept (and send) keyboard input, where the "Reset Password" would be a button?

Thanks for your application (and work on Treo 650 Linux), I've used your tool at least 15 times to reflash my bricked phone due to aggressive experimentation with other ROMS (GSM/CDMA) for my SprintPCS Treo.

* Note the "erase" command did not affect the CDMA/Phone programming, Vision, etc.
  10.    #210  
    0.9.6 is out -

It added support for editing ROM tokens. No more installing really old updates just to switch from Cingular to Unlocked GSM ROMs.

Also, our new baby boy arrived. Might be a week or two before the next release comes out.
    0.9.6 is out -

It added support for editing ROM tokens. No more installing really old updates just to switch from Cingular to Unlocked GSM ROMs.

Also, our new baby boy arrived. Might be a week or two before the next release comes out.
    Congrats. Thanks for the great ROM tool.
    0.9.6 is out -

Congrats! Thank you for your contributions to our community.
    Also, our new baby boy arrived.
    Congratulations. You really are productive.
    Quote Originally Posted by jgm
    Congratulations. You really are productive.
    That's a Funny!

Yea, Matt, Congrats and Thanks
    Just call me Berd.
    Interesting thing I've noticed. I made a custom rom which made my treo stunningly fast. After some time, things started to slow down (for example, the pics and vids got that "please wait" message) and I noticed my vfsmark times were getting lower as well. So I uploaded a new rom (took out a couple of insignificant apps; nothing major) and things sped up again!

Any idea why this may be?
    cam someone explain the ROM token I have searched and found references but no explanation. And why would you edit them?

Thanks
    There's always next year!
    Quote Originally Posted by scuzlebutt
    cam someone explain the ROM token I have searched and found references but no explanation. And why would you edit them?

Thanks
    Tokens are the displayed values found in Phone Info;
    Like:
    Firmware: 01.71
    Software: Treo650-1.20-ENA

Courtesy James
    "Some tokens are just displayed values that you can change, for instance the revn is 1.20 you can change it to 1.13 to apply an older version etc. Things like the Cap values are not set but produced, so no on those you can't just change it. Not all ramafications are known. The ONLY things I would ever suggest anyone change are the values needed to change a version etc. Like for the Cingular users to use ENA then go back without having to reflash a bunch of times."
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    I've been successful in getting everything set up and have done a download, customization and upload. The 650works fine after a reset.

Now when I try to get in again it hangs with a Bootload/rainbow screen on the 650 and 'Waiting for phone' on v0.9.6.

In searching it seems as if the other folks who have had hangs were past the 'Waiting for phone' stage. There is no phone password. I'm opening the ROM Update Tool only after I get to the bootload screen.

My guess is that I originally put the drivers in the wrong place and then pointed to them...since then I've put the drivers in c:\ROMTool\drivers but they are probably not being found. I can't find the 650 in the device manger to reinstall the drivers.
    Any advice...
    Last edited by nelson1; 03/03/2006 at 02:06 PM.
    --Nelson
    Quote Originally Posted by nelson1
    I've been successful in getting everything set up and have done a download, customization and upload. The 650works fine after a reset.

Now when I try to get in again it hangs with a Bootload/rainbow screen on the 650 and 'Waiting for phone' on v0.9.6.

In searching it seems as if the other folks who have had hangs were past the 'Waiting for phone' stage. There is no phone password. I'm opening the ROM Update Tool only after I get to the bootload screen.

My guess is that I originally put the drivers in the wrong place and then pointed to them...since then I've put the drivers in c:\ROMTool\drivers but they are probably not being found. I can't find the 650 in the device manger to reinstall the drivers.
    Any advice...
    Drivers are installed in windows once, after that they are just there. Do you have a different port you can try?

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut
    Drivers are installed in windows once, after that they are just there. Do you have a different port you can try?
    Thanks...that was the answer (after a few steps).

Your suggestion reminded me that I was plugged into a usb hub.

Somewhere in these threads someone suggested plugging in directly to a free usb port. But that didn't seem like the problem since I had been successful once while plugged into the hub. I tried the cable directly to the usb port but it still didn't work. I unplugged and plugged about three times and finally it worked.

The bottom line suggestion:
    • Plug sync cable directly into computer usb
    • Plug and unplug several times if it hangs on 'waiting for phone'
    --Nelson