1.    #1  
    All,

After using the Custom ROM complete 1.13a Sprint with Fat 32 as so kindly provided by CraniumFunk, I customized with Shadowmite's tool to remove things that I did not want. I removed all language files except for English and Spanish. Likewise I removed the tutorial and the Real Player as well as Business Connect and the Handango files. I left the Versamail application as is and
    left the World Clock and Memo Application. After much thought I decided to add nothing further to the ROM and it created successfully leaving me with about 385515 left according to the Shadowmite tool. I added no further. I then had a very successful flash and was able to format a 2G card to Fat 32 without problem. I then began to move a lot of data to the SD card using Z-Launcher.

The programs that I have installed in RAM and then moved to the SD card are:

Vindigo AutoSync
    .911 AvantGo
    2Day Backup
    2Dial BeamPro
    4Cast BeamServe
    Skyscape 5M Cardiac Consult Bible Explorer
    Skyscape 5m Emergency Consult Bible with You
    Skyscape 5M Toxicology Consult Bill Minder
    STAT A-fib stroke risk BlueTooth
    STAT ABG BMI Calculator
    ABI (Acute Brain Injury) BrainForest
    Johns Hopkins Antibiotic Guide BT Mute
    Adobe Reader Budget
    AG Connect C-Spine
    Agendus Mail Calc
    Agendus Professional Call History
    All Time Call Total
    Symantec Antivirus Call Filter
    Apprisor Camcorder
    Archimedes Medical Calculator Camera
    Skyscape ARTbeat CardExplorerII
    Card Info Cardioclear
    CASLRT SetName
    CityID SurgicalClear
    Skyscape ClinRX Cloak
    ClockDeluxe CodeBlue
    Concordance Contacts
    ConvertIt COPD
    Copilot CSV Manager
    DateDiff DateMate
    DBCache Tool DBscan
    PHQ Depression Diet
    STAT EM coding EM Pearls
    Skyscape EBCC EMBcalc
    Skyscape ED Decision making EndNote
    Epocrates Eponyms
    Resco Explorer Flyback
    GCS Genius
    GRACE Medical Suite Growth
    Gulliver Holidates
    HandiStroke Hotsync
    Skyscape Harriet Lane Hyperbili
    Hypertension JNC7 IconManager
    ICU Math Isilo
    Itinerary Jot
    Journal Jrnl to Go
    Riley Kidometer Mail
    Make special Medicalc
    Skyscape Medalert MedRules
    Memopad Messaging
    Mnemonics Money
    OB Wheel OnGuard
    PalmPEP PDAnet
    Pearls PedsOmni
    Phone PhoneMagic
    PubMedOnCall PrefDoc
    Profilecare ProStat
    PTunes SeaTraffic
    Shots 2006 Snapper
    Skyscape SpecOp Med Handbook Splash ID
    StopDim TakePhone
    Tasks TB Tx
    PhoneTechnician TideTool
    TMP Uninstall
    UserName UTS
    Versamail Volumcare
    Skyscape Washington Manual Web
    Word Complete World
    World Clock ZLauncher
    WorldMate

Prior to this flash I had about 6 meg of memory left. Following the flash, I cleared dbase cache and the cacheHeap is 12582640, 9485856 free and max 1813656. After the flash I quickly used Zlauncher to move ALL the programs that were NOT in ROM to the SD card. I cleared all messages caches including SMS and Snapper/Versa. Memory at that time was at 9.3meg. Now after a few days of relative stablity my total RAM is down to 3.2 meg and I find this so strange. I have searched for large files and find none.

Can anyone here tell me if they have had a similar memory drain. I read a previous post here but it did not seem to be related. Can anyone give me any guidance. I use almost all of the medical programs here and will strip others on the advice of you here.

Many thanks,

Jim
    Hi Jim,
    I use a standard Sprint 1.13a ROM (so can't offer any custom rom input), but a couple of things to look for:

Some apps moved to the card will eventually wind up back in RAM without your having moved them (e.g., pTunes moves itself to RAM to play, and then sooner or later you'll have pTunes both in RAM and on the SD card).

Some apps provide an option to put files they create to the SD card, and you may want to check your apps to ensure any providing this option are set to put files to the SD card.

You have alot of medical apps (understandably ) and I'm not sure about any idiosyncracies related to them. You may want to check this other thread (link) to see if any of the app information being shared there is helpful to you.

Good luck,
    Karen

Edited to correct info about pTunes (original post indicated TCPMP, in error). I should really have coffee before I post.
    Last edited by karenct; 02/19/2006 at 12:59 PM.
    Applications from card tend to persist in RAM if you terminate the applications "abnormally".

For example, DocsToGo will do that if you switch out od a document by using the Home button instead of closing the open document. Same for Handmark Express.

Generally, don't switch out of an application without closing the open file that it may be editing/viewing. If the application has a Quit or Exit menu item, use it instead.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by karenct
    Hi Jim,
    I use a standard Sprint 1.13a ROM (so can't offer any custom rom input), but a couple of things to look for:

Some apps moved to the card will eventually wind up back in RAM without your having moved them (e.g., TCPMP moves itself to RAM to play, and then sooner or later you'll have TCPMP both in RAM and on the SD card).

Some apps provide an option to put files they create to the SD card, and you may want to check your apps to ensure any providing this option are set to put files to the SD card.

You have alot of medical apps (understandably ) and I'm not sure about any idiosyncracies related to them. You may want to check this other thread (link) to see if any of the app information being shared there is helpful to you.

Good luck,
    Karen
    Karen,

Thanks for your reply. I have thought of this and the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic guide does allow for storage on the SD card. Epocrates is considered by some (Gfunkmagic and others) to be bloatware. However I use it multiple times a day in my ER practice and use it for patient information as well. I have found no way to store it without using a Launcher such as Powerrun or ZLauncher. I will go back to look again at the files. Normally I use Resco explorer to see the files.

What is so odd to me is that I had MORE memory before the ROM flash than I do now. The ROM flash went beautifully and I have done it several time in beta of the new ROM utility that is posted here by Matt. Nothing else seems abnormal at all. Since I did not add applications to the custom ROM there should have been no duplicates here. I would appreciate any other thoughts that you might have.

I checked out the link you provided as well. This memory problem is peculiar. I need some extended time off to reflash, do a differential restore and see if I can find an offending app.

Thanks again,

Jim
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    Applications from card tend to persist in RAM if you terminate the applications "abnormally".

For example, DocsToGo will do that if you switch out od a document by using the Home button instead of closing the open document. Same for Handmark Express.

Generally, don't switch out of an application without closing the open file that it may be editing/viewing. If the application has a Quit or Exit menu item, use it instead.
    Aprasad,

Most of the applications that I have do not have a close button but I was aware of the condition you speak of. Usually, in Epocrates, the largest, I simply revert to the home screen and then push home. For the Skyscape applications, I usually try to back out of their outline mode back to as far as I can go then push home.

Again I am puzzled that I have MORE ROM freed up for dbcache, have routinely used the dBcache tool DA to free up cache and I still have less RAM. Will need to test this by going back to the original ROM and seeing if the problem goes away or if it is somehow linked to Fat 32. This problem is well beyond my skill set to answer.

Thanks for your input,

Jim
    Holy friggin' cow you have a lot of apps!

Have you tried a soft reset? I always notice I gain some memory back after doing one, myself. I guess it clears out the cache or something. I've been having a similar problem to what was desribed by Karen with pTunes. I WAS running it off my card, but for some reason it kept duplicating itself so that it was on my card AND in my system RAM. There were two pTunes icons and everything. I'm sure I could've figured it out, but I use pTunes so often that I just decided to leave it in the RAM and delete it from the card.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Shannon, thanks for your post!! I realized after reading your post that I'd posted about TCPMP when it had actually been pTunes that I'd seen migrating back to RAM on its own.
  8.    #8  
    Shannon and Karen,

Thanks again! Yes I have tried a soft reset. This AM I deleted about one half of the applications that were in my long list using ZLauncher and soft reset. To my amazement there was now 1.2 meg of available RAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is friggin crazy. I had previously backed up so did a hard reset and reinstall and now have about 3.3 meg but not nearly what I should. It is interesting that when you use ZLauncher, and ask it to rebuild shortcuts, you get many of the applications BACK as though never deleted at all. I always choose the checkboxes to delete from the card and always empty the cache after this type of operation.

I ran the File Manager from ZLauncher and found the following large files:

Strings-nc-2 1772K
    NetFrontlib 1266K
    MultiMail 682K
    Phone 659K
    ZLauncher dB 639K
    DALAcDc 637K
    Money 557K
    Launcher X cache 516K

These are the major ones in RAM even though I deleted Launcher X some time ago. I will continue to try to see if I can answer this.

Many thanks,

Jim
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCJ
    I ran the File Manager from ZLauncher and found the following large files:
    Strings-nc-2 1772K
    NetFrontlib 1266K
    MultiMail 682K
    Phone 659K
    ZLauncher dB 639K
    DALAcDc 637K
    Money 557K
    Launcher X cache 516K

These are the major ones in RAM even though I deleted Launcher X some time ago. I will continue to try to see if I can answer this.
    Hi Jim, this list is very helpful.

Sounds like you're checking your files using ZLauncher File Manager: You're probably already aware of this, but if a given file shows a little icon that looks like a square bug (for lack of a better description!) in ZLauncher's file manager, that file is in ROM and cannot be deleted.

Here's what I found on the files you posted:

Strings-nc-2 is apparently an epocrates file (I googled it, and found these links: http://www.palmblvd.com/boards/palmm...ages/1567.html & http://67.19.190.212/printthread.php?t=69006 )

NetFrontlib is apparently a Blazer file (see this link: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?p=618875 ). In ZLauncher, I'm seeing the ROM indicator next to this file, so it cannot be deleted from RAM.

MultiMail: If you use Versamail, then this file is required. I had a multimail file in RAM that I deleted from my Treo without any negative effect (I use Chatter for email). Note that there is also a multimail file in ROM, which cannot be deleted.

Phone: This is your phone app (I'm guessing ZLancher is showing this in ROM for you). This file is a keeper.

ZLauncher db: This includes the stuff you've loaded for ZLauncher (e.g., themes).

DALAcDc: Not sure what this one does, but it's in ROM (so it can't be deleted from RAM).

Money: I don't have this file. Googled "money.prc" and it looks like this one belongs to Ultrasoft Money -- if you no longer use this app, you could delete this one.

Launcher X cache: If you no longer use Launcher X cache, blow this one away...

Good luck!
    Karen
  10.    #10  
    Karen,

Well, I deleted more files using the ZLauncher move to trash with all associated application data and from the card. I also deleted Launcher X cache as well. The phone reset and then went into an endless loop of hard resets that could not be broken by a warm reset. I kept getting a message that the phone memory was very low and that I should delete applications and then when OK was clicked it would reset and go again. I finally had to do a hard reset and restore with Resco Backup and now I have 4 meg of RAM. Go figure!

This situation baffles me to no end. I have manually deleted blazer cache and it says zero. I am unwilling, given the current memory situation to try the Opera/Java move to SD card yet because I do not have enough to play with. As for Money, I use it religiously and cannot be without it. I was unable to find further information on the files you mentioned above either. Whatever I did today was ugly and I need more time to play with this. It looks like others have had the same problem here as well from reading earlier posts. I have never had a situation where I actually deleted applications and had less energy.

gtwo suggested deleting 64k files and I was only able to do one of these per the Uninstall manager. There is not a lot else to do for now. I am doubtful that FileZ would do more but you can advise me on this. I downloaded Cleaner from the Northglide site and did not find a lot of unattached prefs. This situation did not start until I did the Custom ROM update and I have checked and double checked it against the Shadowmite master list and all that should be in my ROM is there. Thank you again for your help.

Regards,

Jim
    Last edited by DrCJ; 02/20/2006 at 02:19 AM.
    Wow Karen, maybe we should email someone at the pTunes development headquarters about this discrepancy or something. That's a really weird glitch.

Problems like this are exactly why I'm hesitant to do a custom ROM. Sure, I'd like to get rid of Versamail and RealPlayer, but I'd just prefer not to take the chance of seriously screwing my Treo up.

About a week ago Jim, I had the same problem with my Treo telling me I didn't have enough memory, and that I needed to delete stuff from the RAM or move stuff to the memory card, and then when I'd click 'OK', it would reset again, and wash rinse repeat. I was able to fix it with a warm reset, however. I have no idea what the catalyst for that problem was. At the time I only had slightly over 1 meg of RAM though, so maybe that was the problem. So I started moving apps to the SD card, only I couldn't move all the ones I wanted to because they were copy protected. Someone here told me how to deselect copy prevention, only it didn't work until I recently upgarded to a 2 gig memory card(?). I have about 8.5 free MBs in my RAM now, and the only apps NOT on my card are the ones that won't work from it in the first place such as KB Lights and Magic Button. Also, I don't think alarms will go off if the app you set them in is on the card, so I keep Butler, Bug Me! notepad, Agendus etc etc in the RAM. Give Xiino a shot instead of Opera. It's twice as fast as Blazer, and does a better job of caching, so you can move back and forth between web pages you've already loaded without having to reload every time(like you do with Blazer). Also, It doesn't require JAVA to run. It doesn't do too hot with password-encrypted sites, however(such as banks).
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Jim,
    Jeez, I'm really sorry to hear about the endless loop experience. I don't know enough about custom roms to be able to provide any input there (as to whether this seems to be related), or determine if it's strictly a RAM software problem. I usually am pretty successful (lucky?) with managing software issues on my Treo, but clearly this is a more complicated situation than I've encountered.
    Karen
    I am sure that you know this already, but two of the Epoc apps, Sx and Dx can be moved to the card. That freed up a little memory for me, but with the remainder of Epoc and Goodlink on my 650, I have very little (2.1M) of memory left...I feel your pain...
  14.    #14  
    Meducate,

Well, unfortunately I have NEITHER Sx or Dx and have stripped out the the other stuff from the the doctor bag tab to include Amgen, drip rates and other stuff. I could not even imagine Goodlink. Hopefully in a couple of days I am going to back up multiple time points and do some experimenting.

I wanted to repeat again here that I did NOT have this problem until I did the custom ROM. I am very happy with the custom ROM's that I have made, and there is nothing that should cause this behavior. My habits are such (I am a night ED doc) that I have little or no SMS messages and little or no Versamail or Snapper. What I get, I read and delete. I have taken a whopping ONE picture with my Treo 650 in one month. I have almost no ringtones except as have come with the phone and I have yet to load any songs on Ptunes, because I was waiting for the Fat32 and a larger card. The most improbable of all is why I can delete such a large application and actually have a drop in my RAM.

Regards,

Jim
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCJ
    All,

The programs that I have installed in RAM and then moved to the SD card are:

Volumcare
    ///
    Hello,

I think Volumecare only works when in RAM (i.e. not moved to the SD card).
    - Wouter
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    Wow Karen, maybe we should email someone at the pTunes development headquarters about this discrepancy or something. That's a really weird glitch.

Problems like this are exactly why I'm hesitant to do a custom ROM. Sure, I'd like to get rid of Versamail and RealPlayer, but I'd just prefer not to take the chance of seriously screwing my Treo up.

About a week ago Jim, I had the same problem with my Treo telling me I didn't have enough memory, and that I needed to delete stuff from the RAM or move stuff to the memory card, and then when I'd click 'OK', it would reset again, and wash rinse repeat. I was able to fix it with a warm reset, however. I have no idea what the catalyst for that problem was. At the time I only had slightly over 1 meg of RAM though, so maybe that was the problem. So I started moving apps to the SD card, only I couldn't move all the ones I wanted to because they were copy protected. Someone here told me how to deselect copy prevention, only it didn't work until I recently upgarded to a 2 gig memory card(?). I have about 8.5 free MBs in my RAM now, and the only apps NOT on my card are the ones that won't work from it in the first place such as KB Lights and Magic Button. Also, I don't think alarms will go off if the app you set them in is on the card, so I keep Butler, Bug Me! notepad, Agendus etc etc in the RAM. Give Xiino a shot instead of Opera. It's twice as fast as Blazer, and does a better job of caching, so you can move back and forth between web pages you've already loaded without having to reload every time(like you do with Blazer). Also, It doesn't require JAVA to run. It doesn't do too hot with password-encrypted sites, however(such as banks).
    Shannon,

I know that this is really wierd because almost ALL of my apps are stored by ZLauncher on the SD card. The only apps that I leave resident in RAM are:

2Day
    4Cast
    BackupVHS
    BT Mute
    City ID
    Jot
    ProfileCare
    Resco Backup
    StopDim
    VolumeCare
    WordComplete

Out of all that massive list I have posted here previously, I stripped out about 40% by deleting within ZLauncher being careful to have them deleted from the card in preferences. All the rest I consider core essentials and other than for those that were in the Custom ROM(which I added nothing to) that is it. So strange, so strange.

Regards,

Jim