Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    All my email accounts are POP3 email servers. I am not sure if POP3 can "push" email to my treo. Would I be best off using Chattermail or Snappermail? And is it worth it to do a work-around using another email account that has IMAP to get my mail?

Also, which one of these two programs does all the sending and recieveing without me having to wait for it to finish?

I know its personal preferance, but since I only use POP3 email, i was wondering if one is better than the other? Thank you.
    Last edited by biscuit141; 02/18/2006 at 03:07 AM.
    I use chatter for my pop3. It can't push, but the benefit of using Chatter is that it works in the backround, which, as of my last check, Snapper still hasn't been able to get done, amazingly enough. So Chatter, not snapper, will do its sending and receiving without making you wait.
    My vote is for Snapper. Although I liked Chatter, I had two issues with it...

1) It refused to store all incoming mail and files on the SD card, even when that option was selected. It stored quite a bit on the card, but let stray files be stored to the handheld, thereby gradually eating up space. Snapper's Save Mail To Card feature works flawlessly.

2) My email accounts' SMTP server requires sending on port 587, instead of the standard port. I could never change that option in Chatter, which meant I was never able to send email. Again, Snapper allows for easy configuration and works perfectly.

Just my two cents...
    Matt Milano
    President
    Praevius, Inc.
    Why don't you just try them both out? They both offer 30-day free trials. I tried Snapper first myself, and was very happy with it. As a matter of fact, I found it hard to believe that Chatter could be better, or even AS good. But then I reluctantly decided to try Chatter, and I can NEVER go back to Snapper EVER AGAIN. Unlike Snapper, when you send an email in Chatter, you don't have to sit there and stare at a progress screen; you can just get back to surfing the net while Chatter sends the message in the background. Unlike Snapper, Chatter doesn't turn the screen on every time it checks for mail showing you another progress bar. Once again, Chatter works completely in the background conserving battery life. If you want IMAP support with Snapper it's going to cost you 60 bucks - with Chatter it'll only cost you 40. POP3 does NOT support 'push', but you can sign up for a free account at fastmail.net and have your emails forwarded there for what's being called "simulated push". That's what I do with my Gmail account, and I literally get emails mere seconds after they were sent. I have never had a problem with Chatter improperly storing messages. You wanna talk about easy configuration? With Snapper you have to manually go in and configure your account. That's fine and dandy though, as on Snapper's site they detail exactly how you should set it up depending upon who's service you use for email. In Chatter however, those settings are pre-programmed into the app, so all you have to do is select your email provider, and that's that. Simple stupid. If you go to the Chatter developer's page on this site, you'll even find detailed instructions on forwarding mail from your POP3 account to an IMAP account to achieve 'simulated push'. The only advantage Snapper has over Chatter in my opinion is its 'finger navigation' mode, which basically makes everything bigger and easier to hit with your finger.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    NeXTLoop -

#1: Chatter does store all mail and files on SD card; you should try it again. It also uses FAR less storage in RAM and doesn't suffer from the possibility of losing track of messages on the card. Not only that, it stores mail and attachments DIRECTLY to the card and does it all without tying up the Treo.

#2: This isn't true either; it's well documented that you simply add colon and the port number to the server address, i.e. smtp.server.com:587.

Marc
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter
    NeXTLoop -

#1: Chatter does store all mail and files on SD card; you should try it again. It also uses FAR less storage in RAM and doesn't suffer from the possibility of losing track of messages on the card. Not only that, it stores mail and attachments DIRECTLY to the card and does it all without tying up the Treo.

#2: This isn't true either; it's well documented that you simply add colon and the port number to the server address, i.e. smtp.server.com:587.

Marc
    As a snapper user who changed over to Chatter, spend your money on Chatter and try IMAP push mail you will not reget it. Worth every dollar i spent on it and maybe more. (mark don't get any ideas) Also support is A1
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    If your POP providers have the ability to send a SMS when mail has arrived, Chatter will give you 'near push' if you set it to sync when an email SMS is received. Although, my main reason for using Chatter is the ability to sync multiple devices with my mail server, also known as IMAP.

~~~ gottago ~~~
    I purchased both Snapper and Chatter. I like Snapper a lot - but I like Chatter more. I uninstalled Snapper and use Chatter full time, and have never looked back.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  9.    #9  
    The problem I am facing is I get so much spam in my pop accounts on the server that my palm mail client (versamail or chatter) is always downloading spam. Right now i have outlook set to forward my email to a IMAP account and recieve push email through my chatter demo. This filters out alot of junk mail. The problem is this process is dependent upon my Outlook being open. I enjoy the push, but this solution is not ideal with my spam. Any suggestions? The account is a Comcast account.

Also Chatter or Versamail is not downloading attachments. They are small attachments only 16 KB and I have my attachment size limit set hiigher than that. Any suggestions?
    Well, I think most email clients give you filtering options. I know Gmail does. I think you need to fiddle with your filter setting so that you don't get as much spam.

As for attachments, Chatter depends on third-party apps to open them(probably Versamail too). So if someone attaches a JPEG, you'll only be able to open it if you havre an app on your Treo such as SplashPhoto that can handle JPEGs.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
  11.    #11  
    I understand about the attachments, however it was not even "attached" to the eamil when I recieved it. I had to retrieve it off my desktop
    If this is POP3, you have to do a "Load More" to get the attachments.

Marc
  13.    #13  
    Its POP# forwarded to an IMAP server then downloaded. Still do a "load more"?
    No, IMAP should show the attachments (unless they are "inline" or are sent from Outlook in Microsoft's rich-text format).

Marc
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by biscuit141
    The problem I am facing is I get so much spam in my pop accounts on the server that my palm mail client (versamail or chatter) is always downloading spam. Right now i have outlook set to forward my email to a IMAP account and recieve push email through my chatter demo. This filters out alot of junk mail. The problem is this process is dependent upon my Outlook being open. I enjoy the push, but this solution is not ideal with my spam. Any suggestions? The account is a Comcast account.

Also Chatter or Versamail is not downloading attachments. They are small attachments only 16 KB and I have my attachment size limit set hiigher than that. Any suggestions?
    Comcast spam filters are negligible at best. Suggestions to minimize include the following:

1) if you know who your senders are you can adjust your settings in Comcast to only receive from those listed email addresses (NOTE: Does not work if your forward your Comcast Mail)

2) use a third party filter like SpamCop.net

3) change your Comcast ID to one that is unpredictable. Usually using numbers or hyphens will help or

4) Instead of having outlook forward, forward Comcast email to an IMAP provider like emailtreo.com and use their filters.

If you check the Comcast Help forums you will note that Comcast could care less about SPAM and is doing nothing to prevent it. Good Luck!!

~~~ gottago ~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by NeXTLoop
    2) My email accounts' SMTP server requires sending on port 587, instead of the standard port. I could never change that option in Chatter, which meant I was never able to send email.
    My server requires a different SMTP port and I can easily set that in Chatter by specifying smtp.name.com:XXX where XXX is the non-standard port number. I believe this is in the Chatter documentation.
    It must be just me but Chatter is not as user friendly to me. Specially with connection. It will sometimes connect and sometimes not. Sometimes I have to reboot. With Snappermail it connects all the time. The only issue is that I lose my Inbox once in a while but I always back it up so not much of an issue for me. Just my 2cents.
    aznmode - That's very unusual and is always a firmware problem; but there are a few people who have seen it (depending on configuration and firmware version). I THINK, but am not sure, that this has been fixed in the latest releases.

Marc
    Hi Marc thanks for the reply. I actually experienced this today using the latest version. I've installed prior version numerous times before to test and I always run into some issue. So I gave up then and I'm trying today again. I really would like to use your program over Snapper but I keep running into problems. I am using the trial full version. Another issue I noticed is that some emails that I received on Yahoomail last year is showing up as new mail. Dated todays date. Not sure if this has something to do with syncing 1500+ emails. I deleted Chatter and will only sync about 900. I'll see if this helps.
    Last edited by aznmode; 02/24/2006 at 03:46 AM.
    Ok after spending about 4 hours, I think it's time to give up on Chatter. Too many frustrating issues I encountered with Chatter. The worst is when Chatter froze on me while syncing saving to card and no resort but to reset the phone, then going back to chatter and finding out I just lost 90% of the 1600+ email I've just synced. Giving it a 2nd try and encoutering the same thing amongst other things wasn't too fun. Snapper wins my vote...sorry Marc.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast