1.    #1  
    I think I may of discovered a Chatter, Yahoo, Fastmail workaround for Yahoo's forwarding and not leaving it on the server problem.

Simply, Start with Yahoo and forward your mail to fastmail account then just have fastmail forward the mail back to Yahoo account. What I don't know is if it will still communicate with the chatter program after forwarding it back to Yahoo

I didn't set it up yet but I think it will work, but before I go crazy doing this anybody want to weigh in.

I really want to use chatter but I can't give up a 10 year old mail account and I can't live with not having it left on the yahoo server.
    After your mail is forwarded back to Yahoo it will all appear as new and unread regardless of what you do with it in Chatter. The best reason I think to use Chatter with IMAP is so that everything can be in sync. You will eventually tire of deleting messages twice, and not knowing if you replied or not. Trust me I had a setup like you are describing and after some time I realized that it sucked so I just went to straight IMAP forwarded from my main domain.
  3.    #3  
    Scrap this idea, what will actually happen is the forwarded mail from fastmail will just hit the Yahoo server and be forwarded back to Fastmail, it will just go in circles and never stay on the Yahoo server. Dam it.
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    ...I really want to use chatter but I can't give up a 10 year old mail account...
    I know what you mean. After being a 10 year AOL user I have finally decided to walk away from them. I have signed up for a personal IMAP email account with Everyone.net and could not be happier. My setup is like this...

Home desktop PC running Outlook Express
    Laptop PC running Thunderbird
    Treo 650 running Chatter

ALL my mail stays perfectly in sync between all three platforms. ALL my mail and folders is fully accessable from what ever platform I am on. Another plus is that Everyone.net has a great web interface should I need to check my mail from another PC.

At the end of the month, once my AOL to Everyone.net transition is complete, AOL gets the boot. I have become so fed up with all the damn ad's, buggy software (Safety and Security Center) and HORRIBLE technical support.
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    Virginia Beach, VA but home will
    always be Honolulu, HI
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by cgordonn
    I know what you mean. After being a 10 year AOL user I have finally decided to walk away from them. I have signed up for a personal IMAP email account with Everyone.net and could not be happier. My setup is like this...

Home desktop PC running Outlook Express
    Laptop PC running Thunderbird
    Treo 650 running Chatter

ALL my mail stays perfectly in sync between all three platforms. ALL my mail and folders is fully accessable from what ever platform I am on. Another plus is that Everyone.net has a great web interface should I need to check my mail from another PC.

At the end of the month, once my AOL to Everyone.net transition is complete, AOL gets the boot. I have become so fed up with all the damn ad's, buggy software (Safety and Security Center) and HORRIBLE technical support.
    LOL, I am not alone......The reason I went with Yahoo in the first place is because I was jumping from one ISP to another and always lost my e-mail account in doing so, it got very annoying. Of course I didn't know IMAP was going to have this push feature in the future.

Changing your E-mail address is like changing your phone number, no wonder they created number portiability, as it can be a pain in the ***.

I keep thinking maybe Yahoo will implament IMAP..fat chance, I did hear that Gmail might, but who knows.
    viking, do yourself a favor and just register a domain. Go to some place like Gandi.net where you can register the domain and have them do email forwarding for you. This way you can use whatever backend email service you want just setup a catch-all to forward all email to your current account. I've had a domain for a couple years now and during that time I've switched email about 3-4 times. I never miss a message and never have to get out a new address.

I think the domain registration costs me like $11/year so it is definitely worth it. Also whenever I sign up for a contest or something that might give me spam I use a specific email address like - freecar1@mydomain.com. Then if they start sending me spam I just block that domain. It is a nice and easy setup.
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    LOL, I am not alone......The reason I went with Yahoo in the first place is because I was jumping from one ISP to another and always lost my e-mail account in doing so, it got very annoying. Of course I didn't know IMAP was going to have this push feature in the future.

Changing your E-mail address is like changing your phone number, no wonder they created number portiability, as it can be a pain in the ***.

I keep thinking maybe Yahoo will implament IMAP..fat chance, I did hear that Gmail might, but who knows.
    You don't have to change your email address. You can set your reply to address in Chatter's SMTP settings to your Yahoo account and no one will no the difference. You can do this in Outlook and Fastmail webmail too. I do this with my email (which doesn't leave a copy on the server) and never log in or have to check that account.
    I registered my own domain name with Network Solutions, signed up for an account with Everyone.net, then changed the MX record to point my domain to Everyone.net's servers. Even with the cost of the domain registration and IMAP account, I am still saving money then just keeping with AOL.

Everything was up and running in less then 48 hours. I went with Everyone.net because that's what Marc Blank (Chatter developer) uses for the email services he offers.
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    Virginia Beach, VA but home will
    always be Honolulu, HI
  9.    #9  
    Ok I took the advice and got a domain name with Go Daddy! Yes it was the hot girls. Now I have to get a IMAP account which one Fastmail or Everyone.net?
    EON is much larger and, in my experience, more reliable.

Marc