1.    #1  
    My goal is to help my IT group be comfortable implmenting Activesync for me/other happy treo 650 owners that are now required to also carry a bberry and from my prior experience is far inferior to t650 as a converged device. My understanding is that I cant use snappermail - but must use versamail. I have no need/interest in any capabilities that might be available as far as syncing to the desktop; just exchange services via internet connectivity while out of the office. Perhaps some can help this road warrior cut through the documentation to see if it makes sense to suggest this to my IT guys:
    - does my IT group need to install/purchase anything addtl beyond their normal(?) Exchange license so that I can have an activesync exchange connection.
    - their main concern for using anything other than bberry is that pop/etc sends passwords in the clear. does activesync not send passwords in the clear, or is there anything else that needs to be done to encrypt passwords beyond activesync?
    - net net, is this a secure method for rcv/sending email to the exchange server?
    - as a plus, my understanding is that I would also be able to see invitations and perhaps other exchange components

Thanks.. help liberate me from bberry
    Last edited by RichNY; 02/17/2006 at 09:10 AM.
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RichNY
    My goal is to help my IT group be comfortable implmenting Activesync for me/other happy treo 650 owners that are now required to also carry a bberry and from my prior experience is far inferior to t650 as a converged device. My understanding is that I cant use snappermail - but must use versamail. I have no need/interest in any capabilities that might be available as far as syncing to the desktop; just exchange services via internet connectivity while out of the office. Perhaps some can help this road warrior cut through the documentation to see if it makes sense to suggest this to my IT guys:
    - does my IT group need to install/purchase anything addtl beyond their normal(?) Exchange license so that I can have an activesync exchange connection.

****I dont think so.

- their main concern for using anything other than bberry is that pop/etc sends passwords in the clear. does activesync not send passwords in the clear, or is there anything else that needs to be done to encrypt passwords beyond activesync?

****It makes a secure connection before sending logon info from what I can tell.

- net net, is this a secure method for rcv/sending email to the exchange server?

****see above.

- as a plus, my understanding is that I would also be able to see invitations and perhaps other exchange components

**** You can see meeting invitation, your calendar and inbox.

Thanks.. help liberate me from bberry
    ****Here is a link to a Palm doc that explained for me.
    http://www.palm.com/us/support/handb...rsaMail_UG.pdf
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
  3.    #3  
    Mike G - thanks for the feedback.

So my main question is ... is anyone using ActiveSync and are they happy with it?