1.    #1  
    I currently have a 600 and want to move up to a 650 for several reasons. My contract with Verizon has expired so I am a "Free Agent" I don't want to change my number or leave Verizon because it has the best service in my area. I also don't want to be locked into a new two year contract just to get a 650. I use the internet feature very rarely and as my service is now confiquered my time on the net comes off my mins. I want to keep it that way.

I have been looking on ebay to pick up a 650. There are hundreds of auctions and some say the phones are "Unlocked" Do I need to get a unlocked phone or just one that is compatable with Verizon? And when I get one can I sync my 600 to the 650 to transfer all my numbers etc. Will Verizon give me any hassles if I change phones? Thanks for any help.
    Unlocked phones are GSM type which won't help you on Verizon's CDMA network.

You have several choices that come to mind:

1. Quit Verizon and come back with a new customer 650 for $199. Lose whatever lock ypu ahve on old plans as well as your number.
    2. DO a forum title search on "650 Sale". Someone posted two he is selling here yesterday for $325 each.
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=106212
    3. Buy a 650 from Verizon for $599 + tax
    4. Quit Verizon and port your number to Sprint. Before the end of the 15-30 day trial period, port your number back to Verizon. You keep your number but lose any account grandfathering.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Unlocked phones are GSM type which won't help you on Verizon's CDMA network.

You have several choices that come to mind:

1. Quit Verizon and come back with a new customer 650 for $199. Lose whatever lock ypu ahve on old plans as well as your number.
    2. DO a forum title search on "650 Sale". Someone posted two he is selling here yesterday for $325 each.
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=106212
    3. Buy a 650 from Verizon for $599 + tax
    4. Quit Verizon and port your number to Sprint. Before the end of the 15-30 day trial period, port your number back to Verizon. You keep your number but lose any account grandfathering.

Thanks Jack.
    I don't want to loose my number, I have had the same one since Verizon was Bell Atlantic about 15 years now.

I PMed the poster for the 650 sale. I will see what he has to say. But there are some good deals on ebay for New out of the box 650's therefore no need to pad Verizons bank account another $599

If I get a new 650 will verizon activate the phone without changing my plan or forcing me into a new contract?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mike
    If I get a new 650 will verizon activate the phone without changing my plan or forcing me into a new contract?
    I can't speak for Verizon's policies, but changing phones on a CDMA network requires fiddling to get the phone onto the network. There should be no reason for Verizon to do more than charge you an activation fee, which is much the way Bell Mobility works here, north of the 49th. They might TRY to sell you a new plan, but if you go in and insist on only having the phone activated, they should relent on the sales pitch. Rogers tried to get me to change my plan when I did my first phone upgrade (still on the CDMA network back then), but I stood my ground and told them to activate the phone, my plan was perfect for what I needed.

You might have to play a bit of hardball, telling them how long you've been a customer and that, if they don't do as you ask, you'll take your business elsewhere. You are fortunate that you can at least keep your number when you switch providers. In Canada, we don't have number portability yet (should arrive a few months after water-powered cars become affordable), so the service providers know that they have us by the short and curlies when it comes to maintaining a number you've had for many years.
    There's an activation fee of, IIRC, about $26 per phone