1.    #1  
    I am traveling to Costa Rica tomorrow and need to know if anyone has any experience with the service down there. I know the local GSM carrier is ICE, but it seems there is conflicting information if data services exist. I have tmobile and can roam internationally. I think my voice service will work, but GPRS is questionable. I also have a blackberry on tmobile service. Has anyone been there recently and can share if data/voice work down there?

Thanks.

By the way, I know this is probably the wrong forum, but I am slightly desperate and need a quick answer. The other forums dont get nearly as much traffic. I'd really appreciate it if the mods at least leave this here for the morning crowd before moving it. Thanks.
    Factory unlocked/unbranded GSM 650 - Tmobile; FW: 1.71; SW: 1.20-ENA; Carrier DB: 255; HW: A

If I'm repeating what someone has already said look at how long the thread is and ask yourself if you really expect me to read the whole thing.
    FWIW, I was in Costa Rica last summer and never found any data service. There was regular roaming through ICE but that was patchy.

Hope that helps;
    Stephan
    This page has some tips on configuring GPRS in Costa Rica via ICE. Don't know if it will work if you're roaming and not a regular ICE customer, but worth a shot.

http://mytreo.net/forum/index.php/topic,27248.0.html
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ninodelsol
    This page has some tips on configuring GPRS in Costa Rica via ICE. Don't know if it will work if you're roaming and not a regular ICE customer, but worth a shot.

http://mytreo.net/forum/index.php/topic,27248.0.html
    Thanks. We'll see if I need it when I get down there. If there is GPRS service at all, I think the Treo should automatically roam onto it so I don't have to configure anything. Nevertheless, it is good to see this information because it tells me that, at least, there is GPRS service someone can access.

By the way, here is a translation of that page in case anyone looks to this thread in the future:

This is the updated configuration, for all the users who have a TREO in Costa Rica

From menu main of the treo we initiated the application "Preferences"
    Within her we entered to menu "Networks"

We activated the option to modify for being able to make changes.

Where "Service" requests the name to us on watch dijitamos a name with which we will identify our connection GPRS soon

In type of Connection, escojeremos option "GPRS"

Where it asks on the dijitaremos name of usuary "username" the following thing to us: to icecelular

In the password picture "password" dijitaremos the following thing: 0000 (4 ZEROS)

In the following option where it asks to us on the name of APN "APN" we must put the following one: to icecelular

In the button of “Avanzado” verificamos that the “IP” and the “DNS” they are in “automático”
    Once made the procedure the equipment already this in the possibility of connecting to servicio.

Note: If once is connected and the user initiates “Blazer” (explorer of the device), this one indicates an error of Proxy, must look for within the options of the explorer the function of Proxy and deactivate it.

If you have algun problem with the servants DNS whom IT HOISTS assigns automaticamente, we will put our DNS in the manual option and dijitaremos some of which I put to continuation.

Factory unlocked/unbranded GSM 650 - Tmobile; FW: 1.71; SW: 1.20-ENA; Carrier DB: 255; HW: A

If I'm repeating what someone has already said look at how long the thread is and ask yourself if you really expect me to read the whole thing.
  5. KLR
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I just returned from Costa Rica (Liberia) on Wednesday, the phone worked fine on my unlocked Treo 650 but there was NO data service.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by KLR
    I just returned from Costa Rica (Liberia) on Wednesday, the phone worked fine on my unlocked Treo 650 but there was NO data service.
    Thanks. That jives with what I have seen on the internet. Phone works, but can't get data. I guess this would also mean my Blackberry, which uses GPRS, won't work for email. Oh well. I guess that is why they call it a vacation.

Gonna be in Quepos at the end of March and am having a hard time finding a prepaid SIM for ICE. Any sugestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanc2
    Gonna be in Quepos at the end of March and am having a hard time finding a prepaid SIM for ICE. Any sugestions?
    See Foreign cell phone in Costa Rica

..."ICE does not sell pre-paid SIM chips for it's GSM network."
    i was in costa rica in December and purchased a cell phone line from ICE. The only difficulty is you have to have the receipt of your phone and a valid Costa Rican ID card (cedula). I bought a cheap cell phone there and had my niece show her ID card. Once I got the cell phone line I just called the ICE and asked them to enable my cell phone for GPRS and done. So now when I'm in Costa Rica I just put my Costa Rican sim card in my treo and I'm set. The great part is that cell phone lines only cost 3,500 colones which is about $7 per month.
    Which US carriers have people been able to successfully roam with in Costa Rica?

I tried using a Cingular Treo (with International roaming enabled according a Cingular account rep before I left) in Costa Rica last November, got a good GSM signal in parts of San Jose, but only got some tones and an error message in Spanish whenever I tried to dial anything. But my brother-in-law had no problems using his AT&T GSM account there.
  11. KLR
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I have Cingular and had fine service in Liberia and on the coast both for incoming and outgoing calls two weeks ago.
  12.    #12  
    Just got back from an amazing trip to Costa Rica at 2AM this morning. For future travelers I'll post that there was excellent cell coverage everywhere we went. However, there was ZERO GPRS coverage - so no data. The whole country seemed to be GSM only through the local carrier I.C.E. We were in San Jose, Arenal, Tortuguerro and Drake's Bay. Drake's Bay and Tortuguerro are way out in the jungle and I still had 4 bars of service.

As I said, voice calls only.

Also, for anyone thinking of planning a trip I would HIGHLY recommend the intracountry flights. Driving is miserable. We flew everywhere on charters and heard horor stories from others of 8 hour drives along rut filled dirt roads in old beat-up jeeps. Not my idea of fun. We worth the expense of replacing that with a 45 minute flight. Our trip was planned by Wilderness Travel in Berkley CA. They customize every detail to your wishes.

Did you call ICE to have them activate GPRS on your phone?
    I was in Costa Rica in December and January and was able to use email and the Internet via GPRS on my treo 650 everywhere I went...Alajuela, Heredia, San Carlos, Arenal, Guanacaste, San Ramon, Atenas, Puntarenas, even Playa Montezuma.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdcostarica
    Did you call ICE to have them activate GPRS on your phone?
    I was in Costa Rica in December and January and was able to use email and the Internet via GPRS on my treo 650 everywhere I went...Alajuela, Heredia, San Carlos, Arenal, Guanacaste, San Ramon, Atenas, Puntarenas, even Playa Montezuma.
    Nope. I just roamed onto ICE from t-mobile. Everywhere else I have traveled, GPRS poped on automatically with my t-mobile SIM when roaming onto the local GSM carrier.

By the way, I also have a t-mobile blackberry with international roaming enabled and it didn't work either.

I'm not sure how calling ICE would make any difference. They can't "activate" anything on my phone since I use tmo. I suspect you must be talking about using an ICE sim card. I never changed from my tmo sim card. I also never saw any prepaid ICE sim cards for sale anywhere.