1.    #1  
    I want to ENSURE fellow Treo fans keep their eyes open when purchasing the "InnoDock." This will be kinda long, but it's critical that you have all facts at your disposal, so you can form your own conclusion.

Long story short, I decided to do a price comparison search on the InnoDock. Among the pages I resultantly bumped into:
    TreoDen: http://www.treoden.com/hgdock.html
    Treo-Gear: http://www.treo-gear.com/store/catalog.asp?item=188
    Amazon: http://snipurl.com/mmjl
    Froogle.com search results: treo 650 dock cradle
    Look at the pictures on those pages, CAREFULLY. On "InnoDock" cradles, the name "SEIDIO" appears along the front/left bottom rim of the cradle. In the pics appearing at the above links (and elsewhere), HG DOCK appears instead, along the inside back scoop of the cradle. In contrast, there's no writing/imprint in that scoopie area on the true InnoDock.

The Amazon page informs us that this "uniquely designed" cradle is "by DS International." Amazon lists the product as unavailable. But, if you click on the "request this item from another seller" link, the resulting page allows you to "pre-order", with a list price of $69.95. ( http://snipurl.com/mmjp ). Recall: the Seidio cradle is $34.95- $39.95, depending on the color chosen. That same pre-order page lists the device as a "Palm Treo 650 Dock Desktop Cradle."

Treo-Gear actually calls the product an InnoDock, despite the obvious "HG Dock" depicted in the accompanying screenshot of the device. The kicker: 2 favorable customer reviews, neither of whom is apparently familiar with consumer fraud laws.

Checking the DS International website pointed me to their "retail website": NoteStation. Clicking around there led me to a Treo 650 products page ( http://www.notestation.com/treo650_products.htm ). That page depicts the HG Dock, more fully detailed at http://www.notestation.com/pa-treo650dock.htm . The language on the latter page states the "Treo 650/700 Dock" is "from DS International."

There are two possibilities here:
    1) Seidio has elected to use multiple distribution channels.
    2) Deliberately generated consumer confusion by an outfit with no relationship to Seidio.

=====
    After drafting the above for posting, I received a response from Seidio's David. (I'd been trying to reach him directly for 3 days.) Confirmed: Seidio has nadda to do with DSI. For that reason, I've mentally dubbed the DSI "HG Dock" as "How Galling!" Accordingly, this heads up: pay attention before you whip out that credit card to buy online, esp the InnoDock. BTW, I personally find Treo-Gear to be the most egregious storefront in this matter. Instinct kicks in again: if Treo-Gear.com is willing to so boldly play this game on one device they're trying to sell me ....
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Thanks for the warning. As an additional caveat, the "legitmate" InnoDocks are shams too. For that matter, you're better off staying away from any Seidio electronics product.
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
  3. tsy
    Quote Originally Posted by kvcobra
    Thanks for the warning. As an additional caveat, the "legitmate" InnoDocks are shams too. For that matter, you're better off staying away from any Seidio electronics product.
    Hey. Isn't that being unfair ? I just bought a Innodovk thru treocentral and it works far better than the original palm sync cable and cradle which had issues within the 1st month. Could you justify with examples of defective Seidio products? I was about to buy more stuff from them
    Quote Originally Posted by kvcobra

I just returned my non working innodock yesterday.
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    I think it's probably just luck of the draw. I have the following Seidio products and haven't had any problems: Innodock, Innocharger, Sync-n-Charge Cable, 2,200mah battery, 2,400 mah battery, skin case, and the battery cover w/ reset hole....Wish I hadn't typed all this out. Seidio has gotten entirely too much of my money. Where's my free customer loyalty gift?
    I also own numerous Seidio products and have had zero issues with them- Innodock and travel kit (auto-retracting sync cable, ac adapter and cig lighter adapter). They were also cool enough to GIVE me one of their battery covers with the pre-drilled hole in it. Ive no problems with ordering from them.

Granted Id be pissed as well if I recieved a product that didnt work, but its too bad a few users that have issues with a couple of their products really tarnish their reputation.
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    I was being completely fair with my first post, even if I didn't provide much supporting detail. Search the boards and you'll find that it's more than "just a few users" with problems. I realize that those with negative experiences are more likely to post, but there are almost as many complaints about Swidio as there are about Plam.

I've had consistently bad experiences personally. Got a 2-in-1 retractable sync & charge; it stopped syncing after a month. Got a replacement; it worked for about 2.5 months. Then got a shield holster; it's fine except that it scars up the corners of the Treo. Finally, got an Innodock. Worked fine for a month, then stopped syncing. Exchanged it, but the replacement didn't work either. Was told the original tested out fine and the replacement was tested before shipping. Cust. svc. and tech support kept contradicting each other over whether I should send it back or try various work-arounds over the phone. I eventually gave up and wrote it off as a loss.
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    DSI manufactures a lot of stuff (at my place of employment we had them make some custom data entry keypads for us). My guess is that DSI is the manufacturer for Seidio, and DSI is now able to sell them on their own. I know in the past they have sold a couple PDA accessories, for the iPaq and Treo 600 I believe... If I ever talk to George from DSI again I'll ask him.
    Seidio pioneers the innodock. we design and manufacture it. we commit to Treo community. we will continue to develop more Treo products.

David Chang
    Seidio
    dsc@seidio.com
    I had the retractable cable and it suddenly didn't want to stay uncoiled. I removed the seidio sticker and noticed the screw had come loose. I tightend, replaced the seidio sticker and it is working again. My only problem with seidio is...well my holster did break but otherwise I am happy with their gear.
    I just recently bought an hg.dock and it was defective. The usb connection was not working. I decided, instead of going through all the trouble to return it (since it was cheap), I opened it up to see what was wrong. The first thing I noticed was the poor quality of the product (you get what you pay for). After inspecting the wires from the usb connector to the phone connector, I noticed that the solder joint for the red wire (+5v) was broken off at the phone connector side. I resoldered it back and it's been working so far. The design of the dock was not well thought out. By design, if you press the phone down too hard while inserting it into the dock, the bottom of the connector bends the wires and eventually they break. By seeing the design I can assure this will eventually happen again in the future. The way I went about trying to prevent this was to apply additional atv silicone around the solder joints to create a cushion for the wires so not to break so easily. Lets see how long it lasts now. I wanted to share this information with others who might have this problem and want a quick fix. You just need a soldering iron and a steady hand.

UPDATE: I documented the repair with pictures. They are available upon request if needed.
    Last edited by chazz422; 01/26/2007 at 10:19 PM. Reason: pictures update
    Quote Originally Posted by durex View Post
    I also own numerous Seidio products and have had zero issues with them- Innodock and travel kit (auto-retracting sync cable, ac adapter and cig lighter adapter). They were also cool enough to GIVE me one of their battery covers with the pre-drilled hole in it. Ive no problems with ordering from them.

Granted Id be pissed as well if I recieved a product that didnt work, but its too bad a few users that have issues with a couple of their products really tarnish their reputation.
    As I've mentioned before, we take the good with the bad. The fact that no other manufacturers post here makes us an easy target. We're OK with that. We build more Smartphone products than anyone on the planet so we'll obviously end up with more posts. You may hear from a few customers with negative comments, but don't forget about the thousands of people who love and continue to purchase our products. Our company continues to grow year after year so we must be doing something right. We'll continue to make innovative new products, and while we'll never make everyone happy, we'll certainly try.
    Quote Originally Posted by chazz422 View Post

UPDATE: I documented the repair with pictures. They are available upon request if needed.
    Can you post the picture of the connector of the HG dock you have? does it have pins 10, 11, (Serial RX, Serial TX pins?) from the pictures I found on the web it seems those pins are missing. thanks