Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    im considering buying a data plan for cingular..but i was wondering..what is the treo capable of doing with a data plan? the answer seems obvious..but im wondering about the possibilities if i were to get a data plan..

tell me what you guys use it for..
    Running an Unlocked Cingular Palm Treo 650 with an AT&T Sim
    *1GB SanDisk SD Card

Quote Originally Posted by vipa1887
    im considering buying a data plan for cingular..but i was wondering..what is the treo capable of doing with a data plan? the answer seems obvious..but im wondering about the possibilities if i were to get a data plan..

tell me what you guys use it for..
    I check the DOT traffic conditions map with pda traffic.

Push Email

Browse mobile sites. Google's is quite nice. I entered a movie name to find out the run time and since it was current google threw a description and running time ABOVE the search results.
    Email, Surfing, Fax -efax, Cing has EDGE, for me about 120kbs.
    You can also use BT DUN for connecting Laptop on the road (no need for air card)
    Just call me Berd.
    Oh Yea, KMaps, and DA.
    Just call me Berd.
  5.    #5  
    nicee..what else
    *1GB SanDisk SD Card

Sprint has an unbelievable offer going on right now . I have Cingular currently and the data charges are crazy
    Quote Originally Posted by vipa1887
    im considering buying a data plan for cingular..but i was wondering..what is the treo capable of doing with a data plan?
    Pretty much everything you do with your dataplan at work and at home.

Internet, e-mail, file transferes, audio / video streaming....

Look up traffic conditions, ferry schdules, mapquest, Flight Schedules / Status, Train schedules, download e-books, music, weather reports
    Quote Originally Posted by treason
    Sprint has an unbelievable offer going on right now . I have Cingular currently and the data charges are crazy
    Oh look, another Sprint troll. Cingular charges $20 for unlimited data. $5 more than Sprint.
  9.    #9  
    dude im a cingular BLUE customer..so id get stupidass "mMode"...costs $24.99 per month..wtf...thats 5 bucks more than media net..and i bet its worse!
    *1GB SanDisk SD Card

10. aph
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Email, AIM, Google, Kmaps, DirAssist, Weather with WirelessClock are pretty much the only things that are zippy. General web browsing (besides Google for definitions and such) is too slow, we need more builtin apps like those.
  11.    #11  
    hmm..do you think 24.99 is worth it..i mean i dont have a business or anything..so i dont need to do serious work on it..i pretty much need it for AIM and the rest is for enjoyment..i guess weather and traffic would be cool too
    *1GB SanDisk SD Card

The biggest reason I use my data is as a modem for my laptop. I'm often stuck in clients offices or other locations without wireless, so I can't live without PDANet.

Other than that, I don't use data as much as I thought. I'll read the news during lunch or something, update weather, occasionally use DA, but that's about it.
    1. Controlling my pc at home
    2. checking blocked email at work(corp sucks and even blocks windows update)
    3. bluetooth dun while driving down the road(someone else is using the laptop, or someone else is driving if i am using it)
    4. easy way to update software
    5. easy way to install software
    6. check and read rss feeds while a smoke break
    7. checked flight status as driving to airport, sitting in airport, standing in line to check in as flight is delayed(everyone else was oblivious or unaffected)
    8. find phone numbers to businesses/stores as we are out
    9. check movie times at a whim if we are out shopping etc
    10. sending pics off the phone without any mms charges
    11. sending email instead of sms(you can still send an email to the other persons phone=to them a sms
    12. look up an address for a place
    13. mapquest pda directions web page
    14. can telnet into corp's branch servers
    15. of course verichat without using sms msgs
    16. downloaded mp3s
    17. search and find ringtones
    18. paid my tmobile bill with it
    19. paid my sbc bill with it
    20. watched and bid on ebay items(best if you already know which auction you want to watch, lousy to shop and find on the treo)
    20. pure boredom way to kill time surfing news, shopping, answer a trivial question just about anywhere....i.e what are the 4 physical states of matter gas, liquid, solid & ?

And I am sure there are more...
    1. VOIP soon...
    2. i will be investigating controlling my home thermostat from the treo so that if i am gone for a couple days and turn the ac or heat down that i can put it back to where i want an hour or so before i get home.
    3. looking at setting up a net cam so i can log in at home and look around my house(2-3 camera just to check things) Hey even check just to make sure a pipe didn't bust or the garage door has been open for days
    4. log into a computer and turn lights on or off with x10 in the house too....

Can you tell I love having data on my treo?

oops forgot.....look up school calenders to see kids spring break dates while at thanksgiving talking about/making plans

I have even logged in at home, searched for a torrent for a TV episode that was missed, found it, started the download so it was finished by the time i got home.

Got home, have a beer and watch the missed episode.

Really need to find a way to control a tivo or vcr from the treo if i can't make it home!(thinking of another pc(shuttlebox) with a tv card that i can log into and do a hard drive recording with)
    Last edited by madcap; 02/16/2006 at 07:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ColKurtz
    The biggest reason I use my data is as a modem for my laptop. I'm often stuck in clients offices or other locations without wireless, so I can't live without PDANet.
    I usually:

Option A (laptop with me)

Plug my laptop into network hub wherever I'm at.....some stuff I send / receive ain't allowed over wireless.

Option B

1. Look at e-mail headers on Treo
    2. Ignore 95% of the crap and zero in on few biggies.
    3. Reply with 3 quick answers and a one "please send attachments to secretary@place-im-at.com"
    4.a Ask secretary to print 1 to say 40 copies of the 16 page doc arriving in her e-mail.
    4.b Sit at guest desktop / laptop and do what I gotta do.....print what I gotta print (40 copies of 16 page doc) and I'm out.
    5. Use courtesy kiosks at conferences for stuff Treo can't handle easily.

I no longer take my laptop with me most places unless trip will last over 3-4 days.
  15.    #15  
    damn..your really convincing me to get the data plan! lol...actually..its inevitable that im gonna get it..im one of those 'i see it and i have to have it' people (same reason i got the treo)
    *1GB SanDisk SD Card

Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    Oh look, another Sprint troll. Cingular charges $20 for unlimited data. $5 more than Sprint.
    Sprint has the highest income per customer ($60+) outta the big three (Cing $48 and change and Ver @ $49 and change)....they must be getting it back somewhere.

Still wish I could trade rollover minutes like Exon trades tax credits....have over 7,000 rollover minutes mostly cause everyone I call is on same network.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Upload pictures to an online photo site. If you use a "real" digital camera with an SD card you can just pop int your Treo 650 the SD card from the camera and send those high-res photos anywhere.
    see i can't stop...
    logged in at home a transfered a song i wanted off my pc to my treo
    ( i have ripped ALL of my cds to mp3s for my nomad so i have 350+ cds with me...well as long as i have the nomad which isn't always..but i keep a copy of them all on my pc...accessible by my companion the treo)

looked up car info(firing orders, trouble codes, troubleshooting charts...while on the side of the road...thankfully for other peoples cars!)

and even check on the cost of the part, the phone number of the nearest auto parts store...then called for the hours if it wasn't available on the page, but usually that too is there.
  19.    #19  
    i wish they didnt charge so much for it!
    *1GB SanDisk SD Card

Try adding it from this page.

https://www.cingular.com/media/media_net_purchase

In fact, take the $4.99 plan and get unlimited usage for 1st month, then upograde to unlimited $19.99 plan after 29 days or so.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast