Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks, I just added it. It is supposed to take effect in 24 hours.
    I too am interested in Cingular's MediaNet Unlimited plan....

I current have the full PDA plan which costs me a whopping $39.99 per month! ...and I'd like to switch to the $19.99 MediaNet Unlimited.... however, when I log onto the Cingular website to change my phone's features, it allows me to select MediaNet per use, 5 and 10, but NOT unlimited! Am I going to have to go to a Cingular retail store to make this switch?
    To remove any paid features, contact Customer Care at 1-866-CINGULAR or dial 611 from your wireless phone. At that time tell them that you have the wrong plan , that you do not need the VPN provided by the PDA plan and that all you need is MediaNet. If yoiu get a dumbbunnybonnie or cranky franky, just have it remoived and then add MediaNet yaself at:

https://www.cingular.com/media/media_net_purchase
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    To remove any paid features, contact Customer Care at 1-866-CINGULAR or dial 611 from your wireless phone. At that time tell them that you have the wrong plan , that you do not need the VPN provided by the PDA plan and that all you need is MediaNet. If yoiu get a dumbbunnybonnie or cranky franky, just have it remoived and then add MediaNet yaself at:

I sincerely appreciate your response, however, when I go to that link, then go through the steps, it shows that MediaNet Unlimited is something Cingular offers although it's NOT an option I can check off when I'm on the page to select a MediaNet plan for purchase... the limited plans are available though with checkboxes.

EDIT!!! I just attached a screen-print of the Cingular MediaNet plan sign up webpage. This is the problem page for me... where is MediaNet unlimited?! I may have to go to a Cingular retail store.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JimmyD; 03/03/2006 at 02:23 PM. Reason: ADDED SCREEN PRINT OF CINGULAR'S WEBSITE
    If you are starting on that page I don't know why it isn't working. On the My Features page, click help and call that number. Tell them you don't need VPN and want to switch to MediaNet but the page won't load.
    The MEdia Net Unlimited is suppose to be unlimited used of all the links at:
    www.cingular.com/wap

I have never gotten "dinged" on data yet. Also, the version of MNet unlimited is not what me and others got last year Feb04. The new version is scaled down.

We got: Unlimited MediaNet, 200 Multimedia messages & 1500 text messages for 19.99

Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Try adding it from this page.

In fact, take the $4.99 plan and get unlimited usage for 1st month, then upograde to unlimited $19.99 plan after 29 days or so.
    for the email access, what emails can you access, is it only emails given through your isp or can you access your yahoo email accounts as well? I am new to all this pop3, client vpn, etc. so bear with me please.
    I just got rid of my $39.99 UnlimitedPDA Connect, and added the $19.99 MediaNet Unlimited via the links provided above. After adding the MediaNet unlimited, I called cingular to have them remove the $39.99 PDA connect. She was able to credit my account for this billing cycle as well!!

ALSO, I finally removed my lockline insurance, citing it not covering the Treo as my reason for doing so. The lady asked me how long have I had my Treo. I told her since December. SHe credited my monthly insurance charges accordingly!

Very pleasant customer service dealings today! (as always for me with cingular)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drizzt
    for the email access, what emails can you access, is it only emails given through your isp or can you access your yahoo email accounts as well? I am new to all this pop3, client vpn, etc. so bear with me please.

I primarily use my gmail account on my phone, using the Versamail. You can set it up for your yahoo, using the pop3 settings. However, from what I see via yahoo's site, for pop access (necessary for mobile access), you need to have a "mail plus" account, which you pay for.
    http://mailplus.mail.yahoo.com/

http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mail/pop/pop-40.html
    that sucks. I went in to a cingular store yesterday to actually buy my treo 650 and the sales rep asked if I wanted the data plan, so I said yes, the $19.99 unlimited plan. the rep said that I needed the pda paln and it was $39.99. I told the rep what I had found out on here and that the mmedia was just fine.

My question is; Is there a difference in useability in the two different types of plans? I.E. does the pda plan give you better use of the pda portion of the phone or is it more for a pda only device?
    Quote Originally Posted by Drizzt
    My question is; Is there a difference in useability in the two different types of plans? I.E. does the pda plan give you better use of the pda portion of the phone or is it more for a pda only device?
    good question
    and read thru how many posts
    I hope this doesn't sound too obvious, but check your employer's internal web site (assuming there is one) for local deals or if you work at a small company ask to see if there are any discounts available. I poked around our intranet and found I could get an unlimited (supposedly) data plan for $7.50 (voice plan is discounted as well), which prompted me to sign up for a plan and a discounted Treo. I'm not saying which service I'll be using as I'm not a troll. :-/
  14. r0k
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    I have a Verizon Treo 650 and their data plan SUCKS. It is about 300 baud and I used up an entire month's worth of bandwidth just trying to get one page to load and having to hit reload to get something viewable. I will probably be cancelling the data plan soon. I hear that the 700p will be able to go faster on Verizon's data plan, but my 650 was s-l-o-w.
    -r0k

The 650 was a fine phone and was WAY more than a phone, but it's data rate was 1 bit per fortnight. The 755p was somewhat better until its instability chased me to ... wait for it... the BB 8830 From the BB 8830 I went to iPhone 4 and have never been happier. Farewell Palm. Palm Devices List (updated 10/17/2011).
    Does cingular still have the unlimited medianet plan? I cannot find it under my account or on the link that was given in this post. I'm getting a treo 650 today and thought I should go ahead and sign up for a data plan. The cigular website shows a 1MB & 5MB plan what's the deal? Do I have choose the PDA even though I have no need for VPN?
    Of course they do.....but now it's called Media Max....and the Media Max 200 bundle has unlimited data plus 200 free messages (any type...SMS, MMS, etc) per month. NO, you don't have to choose a PDA data plan if you don't need the VPN. If you don't get a Cingular rep on the phone who will sign you up for Media Max, hang up and call again. Repeat until you get one who will help you.
    Here is an idea. Pull out your old Cingular/ATT phone and insert your SIM in it. The phone will automatically update the Cingular database with the Phone model and serial number - which is visible to the Cingular CSR. Now call and ask for MediaNet or MediaMax or whatever plan you want. They might still ask you for your phone type - even though they can clearly see it on their screen. Flatter them by telling them the phone model your SIM is currently in. Besides, you're telling the truth - at that moment. Plan is switched and you repalce your SIM in your TREO. Voila!

Now I've got a couple of questions. What would I need VPN for anyhow? If that IS the ONLY difference between MediaNet and PDA net.

I've had the unlimited ATT mMode on my Treo 650 since January 31, 2005. I was in London recently and I used my phone there (with a local SIM) and my data speeds were incredible. Why can't I get those speeds here in South Florida (flat terrain)?
    No need for allt hat....it's only the CSR's who weren't paying attention and think a Treo is BB that get "CONFUSED".

VPN means virtual private network....as in a company's private e-mail server....or a BB server.

I think AT&Tingular as well a sall the carriers limits speed as a means of conserving bandwidth.
    Quote Originally Posted by vipa1887
    im considering buying a data plan for cingular..but i was wondering..what is the treo capable of doing with a data plan? the answer seems obvious..but im wondering about the possibilities if i were to get a data plan..

tell me what you guys use it for..

basically, data plan is intended for the emails...apparently, Treo 650 has a pull technology (user interference) for you to be able to access and view ur emails...
    IF YOU CAN'T BEAT ME, JOIN ME!!!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123