1.    #1  
    Virtually every night my 650 crashes such that I need to perform a soft reset in the morning. ##377# gives: A crash occurred on 1/1/03 at 12:06 am while running "<unknown application>": Fatal Exception

The time varies slightly, but the date is always 1/1/03. I'm on Sprint, and was using 1.12a. Upgrading to 1.13a didn't change anything. It happened with no third party software installed, no SD card. I've tried disabling any automatic features I can find. Each night I try something new and go to bed hopeful, but nothing has helped. The impression is that it's trying to run something on its own but has a problem -- I just don't know what. I saw a thread about treos turning on for verichat logs or other things just after midnight, but no talk of crashes.

Any information or help would be appreciated.
    If you have Verichat -- try removing it for a couple of days. Another member of this forum (in the past) has referred to it as "VeriCrash", but that may have improved with newer versions. . .

I think I read the same post -- Verichat tries to back up of messages at 12:09AM.

Cheers, Perry
    Global Posts
    474 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    If you have Verichat -- try removing it for a couple of days. Another member of this forum (in the past) has referred to it as "VeriCrash", but that may have improved with newer versions. . .

I think I read the same post -- Verichat tries to back up of messages at 12:09AM.

Cheers, Perry
    ahh, no wonder. i was suspecting verichat was the reason for so many crashes. doh.
    Sprint Treo 755p (ex-650) user and loving it.
    1.04-SPNT
  4.    #4  
    I should have mentioned I don't have Verichat, so that can't be the problem. I have no idea whether it's software or hardware at this point, but my first guess was some automated software problem (akin to the verichat issue). Perhaps some sort of Sprint nightly updating? I just don't know, but needless to say it's not making my 650 reliable as an alarm clock.
    I don't have Sprint, but I'd try turning off your phone before going to bed one night and see if that helps. Also, make sure you have unchecked 'enable network time update'. Just some other things to try
    Mobi·gas·mic!
    Why not try installing palm internals and see what is set in the alarms around that time....
  7.    #7  
    Could you point me in the right direction for what installing Palm internals is/means? I'm willing to do legwork, but I'm a novice with the Treo.

Also thanks to Lulugirl, but I've already tried having the phone off and deselecting the automatic network time update. No luck. I've basically tried a new experiment each night for a couple of weeks. To make it more confusing, on a few nights, it didn't crash -- but the crash rate is about 80%.
    You can find it at mytreo.net downloads (and probably other places...) It is free. Just install it (double click the .prc file and hot sync).

Start it up, and it will show you all of the programs on your palm that have asked the operating system to wake them up at a particular time (so that they can do something).

Find tye one with a time of 12:06 and that is probably your guilty party.

Post back if you need any additional help.
  9.    #9  
    Thanks for the info. Installed it, ran it, found that no programs had alarms to do anything overnight. (Next alarm was to update clock on 4/2 for DST.) Crashed again last night with same error message. Because my treo is only a few weeks old, I'm planning to return it in case it really is a weird hardware issue. From the thread, it also seems that no one else has seen the same problem. It has happened with solely the preinstalled software, so there are fewer possibilities for troubleshooting. If anyone has anything new to offer, though, I'd be happy to know it.
    Quote Originally Posted by miguel125
    Thanks for the info. Installed it, ran it, found that no programs had alarms to do anything overnight. (Next alarm was to update clock on 4/2 for DST.) Crashed again last night with same error message. Because my treo is only a few weeks old, I'm planning to return it in case it really is a weird hardware issue. From the thread, it also seems that no one else has seen the same problem. It has happened with solely the preinstalled software, so there are fewer possibilities for troubleshooting. If anyone has anything new to offer, though, I'd be happy to know it.
    Is your data connection on (idle) when you go to bed or is it off? Try disconnecting the data connection (if it is on) before you go to bed and see if it happens.

Also, check in Palm internals (run the Notifications option, Notif button) and see if there's anything registered with something like -- neti -- Network interface up/down..
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."