Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey all,

Newbie to the treo community. Should be getting a 650 in a few days that I'm picking up for the price of the $80 LCD DIY repair.

Looking for a bluetooth headset cause cords make me angry when I drive.

Considering the palm headset as I've heard some good things, but I was looking for a headset that would be able to do voice dialing off the phone. I.E., if I have a voice dial program on the treo, I'd very much like it if I could initiate a call by hitting something on the headset, speaking the person's name, and the call would be dialed. Does such a headset exist? Will this one do it? Alternately, if there is a program that I could hit one or two buttons on the treo, and then have the voice dialing be active, that'd be acceptable as well. I'm not sure at all how the voice dialing programs work, so...

Also: how is the Palm headset on sound quality/outside noise masking? I just got an 05 Mustang GT and would prefer a headset that at least to some extent has either a loud volume or decent isolation.

Any other recommendations would be wholly appreciated. Sound quality and easy/lots of functionality are first and foremost, visual appeal is down at the bottom, battery life in the middle.
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bmckenna
    I'd very much like it if I could initiate a call by hitting something on the headset, speaking the person's name, and the call would be dialed. Does such a headset exist? Will this one do it? Alternately, if there is a program that I could hit one or two buttons on the treo, and then have the voice dialing be active, that'd be acceptable as well. I'm not sure at all how the voice dialing programs work, so...
    Everyone would like to have the ability to voice dial with a bt headset, it just isn't going to happen. The Treo won't support it. A trial of Voice Dial comes with the Palm Desk software. It will allow you to do one button voice dials but not through your bt headset. Do a search in this forum and I'm sure you will find all the info your looking for on the Treo headset.
  3.    #3  
    I'm confused. You can't do bluetooth voice dials at all? Or just not by hitting a button on your headset? Can you do voice dial by hitting a button on the treo and speaking through your bluetooth headset? How about hitting a button on the treo, speaking into the treo's microphone, and then using your bluetooth headset to continue the call?
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bmckenna
    How about hitting a button on the treo, speaking into the treo's microphone, and then using your bluetooth headset to continue the call?
    This is the only option that works. You can't really expect to have "cheap" phone features on your expensive smart phone can you?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by twitch3
    This is the only option that works. You can't really expect to have "cheap" phone features on your expensive smart phone can you?
    HAH, ok. Thanks. At least it's better than nothing.

I'm guessing it works fine for wired headsets, though, right?
  6.    #6  
    admins, got my answers. thread is ok for deletion .
    Here's how I sue Voice Dial on my 650:

Treo sits in cradle (Seidio G2350S) just to the right of the 3:00 position on my steering wheel. To make a call I move hand about 2-3" (easier than 20" to my ear) and hit side button of Treo w/ my thumb ..... Treo babe comes on "say a command", I say "Call Bob McKenna".....Treo babe says "Which Number please" ..... I say "At work".....

Treo babe then dials the number and when after a ring or so autoswitches to BT headset.

As for the Treo Headset.....

-Very good Pairing
    -Likely to have peeps tell you they hear themselves echo cause you have it too loud. I use Volume level 2.
    -Single charger for treo and headset real plus
    -Audio much clearer and echo completely gone with Jabra large ear gel.
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    I have used the TWH for about 4 months, and I just switched to the Plantronics Voyager 510. The TWH is now going to the girlfriend! The 510 is far superior in sound quality to the TWH both incoming and especially outgoing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arsman
    I have used the TWH for about 4 months, and I just switched to the Plantronics Voyager 510. The TWH is now going to the girlfriend!
    So you get the superior one and give her the crappy one....hope she doesn't see this thread or no smoochies for you .... You could amend this tho saying that the way headsets resonate, the Plantrontronics is better suited for men's fat heads whereas the TWH was better suited for a prettier, more diminutive and charming person like your GF

The 510 is far superior in sound quality to the TWH both incoming and especially outgoing.
    Were you using ear gels ? I can't imagine better volume or clarity than what I have with the TWH....it's like peeps were "in the room" with me. Tho we gotta keep in mind that BT pairing with headsets seems to vary between carriers and even between units of the same model. One manufacturer may work with Version 1.1.abc which is in one carrier's ROM versus 1.1.xyz which is in another.
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    I'm safe. Luckily my girl would rather do anything else than sit around and read these forums.

I was using the eargels and volume was fine, but I got much more snap crackle and pop with the TWH than the Plantronics placing the phone in the same position comparing the two. Plus, the outgoing quality seems much better, possibly due the the noise cancelling mic and the boom.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    -Audio much clearer and echo completely gone with Jabra large ear gel.
    You use a Jabra ear gel with the Palm Treo BT Headset? What gel is this, and how does it fit on the headset?

TIA
    It fits perfect.....just walk into your local RadioShack and say "Give me ear gel to fit this". Clerk will undoubtedly pull the assortment pack off the wall (3 pairs - 1 small, 1 med, 1 large) of clear ear gels and you walk out $6 poorer.

RFID tag says Eargel202
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    On Thursday, I went to RadioShack and got these eargels. I can make them fit on the TWH fine, but not in my ear. I have even tried putting the gels on and then rotating them like 1/16" and then trying again in my ear. I just cannot get a good, consistent fit in my ear, even trying various gel sizes.

From a functional standpoint, the TWH is fine. Good signal strength, picks up automatically when someone calls, looks cool, but it is so uncomfortable, I am thinking of sending it back.

I had hoped the ear gel would not only improve volume but would support the TWH enough that the over the ear hook would be more comfortable,but no luck there either.
    I was still in the Radio Shack parking lot by the time I got set up happily. Try rotating 180 degrees. The smaller part should be at 12:00 and looking like a shark fin stoicking out of the water...on my head anyway....I rotate the TWH so it points to the outside corner of my eye and bent the ear hook to run alomg the outside ridge of my ear.....at the ear, skull juncture which I tried first, it wasn't comfy.

Now my only complaint is that after driving in the car for a while, I will get out and walk around in stores and offices looking like Lieutenant Ohura from Star Trek. The thing is just so darn comfortable, I don't know that it is there and keep frgetting to take it off.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    JackNayolrPE

How close is this? It does seem to be an improvement.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    What voice dialing app are you using, JackNaylorPE?
    Quote Originally Posted by 4ster
    JackNayolrPE

How close is this? It does seem to be an improvement.
    Looks about right.....just realized tho that I am using a mediumand not a large....looked oin 6 pack and have 1 large, 2 mediums and 2 small meaning the one in da car must be a medium. Sorry if that threw anyone off.
    Quote Originally Posted by andyinsdca
    What voice dialing app are you using, JackNaylorPE?
    I was using Voice Signal's VoiceDial (the one that you get the free 14 day trial from palm w/ da Treo) .... am now using its future successor, VSuite2.0 Beta 3.
    Wasted my $7.99 today (isn't Cali wonderful? *smile*). Within 5 minutes of having the Jabra Gel on my TWH, the gel split (several posts on TC that mention how easily they split). With how easy they come off of the TWH anyway, I'm not even going to bother with the other 2 (5, but I'm "right eared"). Was a good thought, and I was hopeful, but just not going to do it for me. I haven't had any bad experiences with the TWH anyway, was just hoping that with the gels I might get just that much more volume out of them, and possibly be able to wear it without the hook.

...now if there was just a way to turn off the "last number redial 'feature'" of the TWH - ended up making a 5 minute voicemail/call to a friend of mine in TX the other night while the TWH was in my pocket...
    I have been using the same one for a year.....wash it in hot water about every 2 weeks.

You didn't perhaps stick this on 1st day and leave it in a cold car ? Would imagine the rubber thingie to be temerature sensitive till it had a chnace to stretch out a bit.

The ones I am using BTW are clear and say "Med CY-11 left" on the inside....well that's the mate to the one out on the TWH in the car.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast