1.    #1  
    For the last couple days my touchscreen has been losing it calibration. It seems that everytime i go to use it the toukscreen is off by a quarter of an inch, mostly I have to touch 1/4 inch higher than i should for it to work, but sometimes 1/4 lower, never left or right.

If i go into the prefs and recalibrate then it will work fine for a while but the next time i go to use it it is off again.

I searched around and saw a trick about cleaning the edges of the screen with business card and i did that but it didnt help. Anyone have any suggestions?

is it hardware or software?
    Hi Ronin17!

To test the hardware vs. software theory:

Back up with a hotsync.

Hard Reset.
    Play with it for awhile in this "out of box" state.
    If the drift continues -- I vote for a hardware issue.

If the drift stops -- then I vote for a software conflict and a CLEAN INSTALL:

Hard Reset your 650, creating a "just out of the box" 650 (unless it is just out of box)
    Rename your backup folder on your PC to backupold
    (Programs>Palm>userid>backup to backupold)
    (Hopefully that's the path but you get the idea.)
    (The backup folder houses the 3rd party software you have installed in case a back up from a hard reset is necessary -- renaming the folder takes it out of the loop.)
    Hot Sync the 650 to your userid.
    You should have a clean Treo 650 with only your PIM data brought back.
    (PIM = appointments, memos, tasks, contacts)

Test for two days in this configuration.

Now install your desired 3rd party software fresh onto the 650 -- NOT from a backup! (Also, get the newest version, while you are at it.) Possibly one at a time to see, if and when the drift starts up again -- you will have then found your culprit.
    When you Hot Sync again, a new backup folder is created, with the freshly installed 3rd party software backed up the way the 650 likes it.)

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 02/16/2006 at 09:39 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronin17
    For the last couple days my touchscreen has been losing it calibration. It seems that everytime i go to use it the toukscreen is off by a quarter of an inch, mostly I have to touch 1/4 inch higher than i should for it to work, but sometimes 1/4 lower, never left or right.

If i go into the prefs and recalibrate then it will work fine for a while but the next time i go to use it it is off again.

I searched around and saw a trick about cleaning the edges of the screen with business card and i did that but it didnt help. Anyone have any suggestions?

is it hardware or software?

If you are using a screen protector, try removing it. Perhaps that's the problem.

Good luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
  4.    #4  
    I will try a hard reset tonight.

I am not using a screen protector.

thanks for the tips.
    Hello ronin17,

This is Kevin from Palm. Perry's advice regarding the hard reset is the way to go, but before you do, one other thing you might try: It's possible there's debris trapped under the edge of the screen. Use the corner of a piece of thin, stiff paper (copier paper works well) to very gently slide all around the edge of the screen. Don't let the corner of the paper travel more than an eighth of an inch under the screen edge frame. By doing this, you may be able to dislodge small particles of debris trapped under the frame.

Sincerely
    Kevin
    Last edited by Kevin Michaels; 02/16/2006 at 04:13 PM.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Kevin Michaels
    kevin.michaels@palm.com
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Check out what’s new at
    http://www.palm.com/
  6.    #6  
    thanks for the help. the hard reset seems to have helped. now i just have to find out what caused it.