Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1.    #1  
    I'm in trial and I really want to like this app but there is a couple of things annoying me.

    Currently am just using it as a fetch Yahoo POP( I know IMAP is the way to go but if I forward my Yahoo mail it doesn't stay on the server).

    One problem is deleting e-mails on the device without deleting them from the server? and why when I choose to delete does the email stay on the device in lighter text? it seems to only vanish when it auto syncs again. I would just like a simple delete and leave on server.

    Another thing is why does it keep getting old PC read messages, this can't be a POP thing as Versamail does not do this with the same account. Having to manually mark as read is a little crazy.

    Like I said I want to like this app but...........
  2. #2  
    It works differently than you would think for POP. I use it with 4 POP accounts. I have no IMAP avaliable.

    The delete thing took a little getting used to. It does mark it for delete (grayed out) then when you sync it deletes it on your Treo and the Server. There is an option when viewing the message in the menu to delete from Treo only which with do just that but the message will be redownloaded. This is used to remove a message from the Treo after it has been deleted from the server. So in a sense it is backwards but when you get used to it I have found it to be workable.

    As far as the other it just downloads what is in the mailbox, There are no filter options.

    To me the advantages outweighed the downsides.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

  3. #3  
    viking -

    Chatter admittedly has a peculiar POP3 implementation, in that it tries to emulate the IMAP approach of "syncing" the server and the Treo. Seen in this way, deletions need not to be immediate, or there would be no way of recovering from a mistake.

    You might consider forwarding your Yahoo mail to an IMAP host (e.g. using the 6 month free trial @emailtreo.com); then you get all the advantages of IMAP (speed, attachment handling, push, folders, etc.) while keeping your Yahoo address (and having return mail seem to come from that address). I have many hundreds of users doing exactly this with Yahoo (and, very often, Gmail).

    Marc
  4.    #4  
    Ok Gotcha! Should I expect to see the same delete habits with IMAP ? Also should I expect to see the same "already read messages" downloaded with IMAP?

    I take it this might be more IMAP friendly?
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    Ok Gotcha! Should I expect to see the same delete habits with IMAP ? Also should I expect to see the same "already read messages" downloaded with IMAP?

    I take it this might be more IMAP friendly?
    With IMAP, everything is in sync with your mail server. So, if you read something on your Treo, the message will show as Read on both the Treo and the Server. In fact, if you run another email program on your PC, like Outlook, if you read a new message in Outlook, in a few seconds, you'll see the icon on the Treo change from "New" to "Read"

    Everything is in sync with each other with IMAP. Whatever you do in one email program (or through a webmail server app) is reflected throughout. Delete and purge a message on your Treo, you'll see it disappear from Outlook.

    However, if you're forwarding Yahoo mail to an IMAP server, you'll still have the original mail on your Yahoo account, no matter what you do on the IMAP server, should you ever need to go back and read it.


    Make sense?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    With IMAP, everything is in sync with your mail server. So, if you read something on your Treo, the message will show as Read on both the Treo and the Server. In fact, if you run another email program on your PC, like Outlook, if you read a new message in Outlook, in a few seconds, you'll see the icon on the Treo change from "New" to "Read"

    Everything is in sync with each other with IMAP. Whatever you do in one email program (or through a webmail server app) is reflected throughout. Delete and purge a message on your Treo, you'll see it disappear from Outlook.

    However, if you're forwarding Yahoo mail to an IMAP server, you'll still have the original mail on your Yahoo account, no matter what you do on the IMAP server, should you ever need to go back and read it.


    Make sense?
    I'm understanding fully but are you 100% sure about the Yahoo mail staying on the server after forwarding to IMAP account?
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    I'm understanding fully but are you 100% sure about the Yahoo mail staying on the server after forwarding to IMAP account?
    Yahoo, dunno. I only use it as a spambox, for signing on to new sites, etc....

    It may or may not. Usually, there will be a setting to "Keep Mail On Server." Gmail has this, my charter.net POP box has this.

    Look around in the Options or Settings (whatever they call it) next time you log into Yahoo Mail and see if it has it somewhere.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Yahoo, dunno. I only use it as a spambox, for signing on to new sites, etc....

    It may or may not. Usually, there will be a setting to "Keep Mail On Server." Gmail has this, my charter.net POP box has this.

    Look around in the Options or Settings (whatever they call it) next time you log into Yahoo Mail and see if it has it somewhere.

    http://search1.cc.dcn.yahoo.com/cct_...71#__highlight


    No can do .............
  9. #9  
    When you forward from Yahoo, your mail will still be on the Yahoo site, but you won't be able to POP it from email clients (i.e. it will be webmail only).

    Marc
  10. ambtreo's Avatar
    Posts
    476 Posts
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    ...However, if you're forwarding Yahoo mail to an IMAP server, you'll still have the original mail on your Yahoo account, no matter what you do on the IMAP server, should you ever need to go back and read it.


    Make sense?
    Insertion -

    I forward from my optonline pop3 account to a fastmail IMAP account. Fastmail has a function where it will poll the pop3 server every 2 hours and download messages to the fastmail account. If the messages have already been forwarded, fastmail will not load them again to your fastmail inbox. Thus, you get your pop3 messages pushed to the IMAP account, and the pop3 mailbox gets cleaned out, avoiding any bandwith restrictions. This setup works well if you use the IMAP account as your primary email account. The pop3 account then solely functions as an email address that is forwarded to the IMAP. I haven't researched everyone.net, but I would imagine that they have the same functionality as fastmail.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter
    When you forward from Yahoo, your mail will still be on the Yahoo site, but you won't be able to POP it from email clients (i.e. it will be webmail only).

    Marc

    Really, So then you will still be able to view it inside Yahoo's web site, if so Yahoo did a horrible job explaining this. They made it sound as if you forward e-mails you can only view it on the forwarded account. Thanks for explaining that.
  12.    #12  
    Marc as a FYI ...Yahoo mail does NOT stay on the server as web based mail when forwarding.

    Thanks for all your help anyway...O and Palm Gear never responded to 2 of my e-mails concerning that special they were running, or wasn't running.
  13. #13  
    Argh... I'm not very impressed with PalmGear's service, frankly... If you want to pursue it, I have the emails of some senior folks. Let me know by PM if you do...

    Marc
  14. bigwalton's Avatar
    Posts
    65 Posts
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    Marc as a FYI ...Yahoo mail does NOT stay on the server as web based mail when forwarding.
    This may be extremely silly, but if you really want to keep the Yahoo email address, forward it to a new Gmail account, keep the messages on the server there and then forward them to your IMAP account... you can always get to them on Gmail

    Seems overly complicated, but it would theoretically get you everything you need (and gmail is much cooler than Yahoo anyhow IMHO.)
    Treo 755P
  15. #15  
    I concur with the above statement. Gmail is indeed the shiznit

    It just needs IMAP and IDLE support and it'll be perfect!
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?

Posting Permissions